Sugar Consumption

CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
I know on average, 25g-30g is all the sugar you're supposed to have daily.

Is this total sugar - added & naturally occurring?? Assuming it is. I added an apple and soup today to what I normally eat and my sugar almost doubled! Frig me!! I've done so well, I don't eat processed (the soup was, but one of the better options as far as choices go) and it's hard to change things up!!!

I've googled, no real answer out there. Just kinda venting, looking for thoughts :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
Audrey Hepburn

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Update: I just checked. It's ADDED sugars. See my original response below.

Excellent question. I can't believe this is for both added and naturally occurring. Milk, potatoes, fruits, goodness, just about everything including very healthy foods have naturally occurring sugar. What's left that we can eat?

OT, I've noticed that many so-called healthy multi-grain breads list cellulose! That's wood. No thanks.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks!!

So as long as it's not insane, I don't need to closely track sugar because I'm not eating it in added food?

I was having soup last night, one of them had 28g per serving.....that's a chcolate bar!!! Now I'm wondering though, some must be coming from the natural (it was tomato based) food in it. How do you tell though? The sweet potato (which I went with) was 6g/serving.....crazy difference!

I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Cellulose already exists in many foods you eat, including really healthy stuff, like fruits and vegetables. You can't digest it, but it acts as a fiber. It's okay to use it as an additive in food provided certain standards are met.

“Wood pulp” in burgers? It’s just cellulose, and that’s nothing to worry about.

As a general rule of thumb, if the Food Babe is ranting against it, it's probably safe and okay to eat. That woman has made fearmongering and disregard for scientific evidence her livelihood.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Dedachon....a friend is constantly fighting people on her FB page, makes me laugh!
    Audrey Hepburn
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    Thanks!!

So as long as it's not insane, I don't need to closely track sugar because I'm not eating it in added food?

I was having soup last night, one of them had 28g per serving.....that's a chcolate bar!!! Now I'm wondering though, some must be coming from the natural (it was tomato based) food in it. How do you tell though? The sweet potato (which I went with) was 6g/serving.....crazy difference!

If you look at the ingredients, you should be able to tell if it's naturally occurring sugar or added sugar by the way it's listed on the label. If the sugar is high and it's listed as one of the first ingredients (and there are many names for sugar) then you know that it's the added sugar. If there is no added sugar and/or it's at the bottom of your ingredient listing, I wouldn't worry too much.
    I'm not worried added about added sugar so much, mostly naturally occurring. Like carrots are really high, and that's the majority of my sugar for the day. I followed Sugar Busters years ago (and still do loosly) and carrots were a big no-no, supposedly that has been revamped though.

I don't eat a lot of fruit, but had an apple yesturday and it shot up, making me wonder if the two were processed the same in your body.

If there is a difference, I wish MFP would somehow separate them. Realistically, I think my added sugar is less then 10g/day and even that might be stretching it.
    Audrey Hepburn
    Found the soup online, when I read the label last night I just saw the 8g of sugar, here it specifies not added though. Maybe its not as bad as I thought it was?

Lose weight & improve your health with a real food diet | Fooducate

ETA ~ I know there is a lot of crap in the soup, but as far as things I could be choosing, its not terrible lol
    Audrey Hepburn
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    When I did Atkins (for years), I ate almost no sugar at all of any kind...and I felt the best I've ever felt in my life. I don't think the type of sugar really matters. All carbs turn to sugar. Some break down faster than others and I guess that is a small benefit (when it breaks down slowly) but it all turns to fat when it's unused, causes insulin to spike, makes you sluggish and all sorts of other things. I wish I could give up all sugar; I'd have so much energy and be so slim and happy (sugar messes w/ my moods). sigh

Same, SL.....I do best with low sugar.

I just can't get past putting good food (speaking apples/carrots, not the soup here) in my body is screwing things up.
    Audrey Hepburn
    A medium apple and 2 cups of carrots cannot be it for the day!!!!

5913f43861492abc00b936024bbbf676.jpg

Audrey Hepburn
    Same, SL.....I do best with low sugar.

I just can't get past putting good food (speaking apples/carrots, not the soup here) in my body is screwing things up.

And how Asians can eat rice with every meal and not be bloated and depressed all the time. LOL

I think the trick is if you're going w/ high carb, you just have to keep it very low fat (and move around a lot).

I think we can overdo watching what we eat and forbidding many different types of foods. Not saying that we shouldn't be aware, but suggesting we avoid being extreme. There are many critical nutrients and antioxidants that our bodies benefit from that are found in fruits and veggies that contain natural sugars.

A sweet potato is a healthy food, Pepsi is not. Just my .02.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    I think low fat is a tricky one though. A lot of stuff that's low fat, is crazy high in sugar, rarely does it go the other way though.

Anytime I've lost a good chunk of weight, it was sticking to under 30g of sugar/day, which is super easy to count. Yesterday threw me for a loop though, it was almost double the sugar that it usually is and I was still almost 30 cal short of my daily goal.
    Audrey Hepburn
    I think low fat is a tricky one though. A lot of stuff that's low fat, is crazy high in sugar, rarely does it go the other way though.

Anytime I've lost a good chunk of weight, it was sticking to under 30g of sugar/day, which is super easy to count. Yesterday threw me for a loop though, it was almost double the sugar that it usually is and I was still almost 30 cal short of my daily goal.

No, I don't mean processed foods. Just like fruit and beans and veggies, etc. (I wouldn't mess w/ "low fat" stuff.)

Agree completely. When companies remove fat they often replace it with gobs of sugar (ugh!).
    Dedachon....a friend is constantly fighting people on her FB page, makes me laugh!

Who is she fighting? Health advice gurus?

I admit to following on fb SciBabe, Food Hunk and Kavin Senapathy, who are the anti-Food Babes, lol. :tongue5:
    He's always fighting with the FoodBabe followers :lol:
    Audrey Hepburn
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    My diet is very low sugar/grains (no "traditional" fruit), and legume free. I don't even worry about how much sugar I'm consuming in any kind of savory fruit or vegetable. Occasionally I have something with sugar in it, but rarely.
    Audrey Hepburn
    Your friend and I would get along.

I saw that about the vaginal detox too. That one made laugh out loud quite literally.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Speaking of vaginas and sugars. I had a bad cycle of yeast /bacterial infections so I went on a sugar free diet for a few days and it relieved it a lot. It is really hard going sugarfree, no carbs or fruit. Lost weight quick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using CurlTalk App
    I bet, Josephine!!!

All this processed crap/additives I'm sure take an awful toll on our bodies.

Audrey Hepburn

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file