What strength developer for darkening by a shade and covering minimal grays?

ArcadyArcady Posts: 14Registered Users
Hi there,

I have about 5-6 grays around my temples and forehead at any given time.

I have been just cutting them at the root for a while, but starting to think about coloring my virgin level 3 hair at some point.

I have always liked how I looked in darker hair (I had my hair dyed level 1, blue-black several years ago, but it's all grown out now).

Anyways... I am looking to DIY-color my hair to a natural black (I guess that would be about level 1.5-2)

I would like to get the least strong developer necessary, but it needs to be able to cover my greys...

Please let me know your opinions.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• wavywonderwavywonder Posts: 32Registered Users
    I also darken my hair just a smidge and cover a few grays.....I use a demi-permanent hair color from Sally's called Ion Color Brilliance Demi. It uses a 10 volume developer so it's quite gentle on the hair, and it's the only demi that consistently covers my gray wonderfully. A 10 volume will only deposit color into your hair, which can effectively darken the hair. As a matter of fact, you can't lighten hair with a 10 volume...only darken or stay pretty much your current shade.

I mix my color (5g) with a 10 volume, cover my roots in the color and leave on for 45 minutes to get coverage and it works for me every time. My best advice would be to remember that since demis tend to go darker, you may want to pick a color a shade or two lighter to begin with..or it may turn out darker than you prefer. Anyway, hope that helps a bit!
  • kcadams1980kcadams1980 Posts: 10Registered Users
    wavywonder wrote: »
    I also darken my hair just a smidge and cover a few grays.....I use a demi-permanent hair color from Sally's called Ion Color Brilliance Demi. It uses a 10 volume developer so it's quite gentle on the hair, and it's the only demi that consistently covers my gray wonderfully. A 10 volume will only deposit color into your hair, which can effectively darken the hair. As a matter of fact, you can't lighten hair with a 10 volume...only darken or stay pretty much your current shade.

I mix my color (5g) with a 10 volume, cover my roots in the color and leave on for 45 minutes to get coverage and it works for me every time. My best advice would be to remember that since demis tend to go darker, you may want to pick a color a shade or two lighter to begin with..or it may turn out darker than you prefer. Anyway, hope that helps a bit!

So you can actually cover greys using a demi?? This is news to me! I started going grey REALLY early (college), so have always had to color my hair. I'm 35 now, probably have 25% grey. I've been using the Ion Brilliance permanent color + 10 vol developer, but if semi-perm is actually an option, I'd love to try it out!
  • wavywonderwavywonder Posts: 32Registered Users
    [/QUOTE]
    So you can actually cover greys using a demi?? This is news to me! I started going grey REALLY early (college), so have always had to color my hair. I'm 35 now, probably have 25% grey. I've been using the Ion Brilliance permanent color + 10 vol developer, but if semi-perm is actually an option, I'd love to try it out![/QUOTE]

Well not quite....let me clarify :) There are 3 levels of color:
    permanent
    demi-permanent
    semi-permanent

You generally can NOT cover gray using a semi-permanent. You might be able to blend gray a bit, or kick up your natural color, but semis don't generally cover gray for any length of time. If you are using a permanent color, but mixing it with a 10 volume developer, then you are creating a demi-permanent, which is better able to cover grays and that is what I use. Demis deposit color onto the hair and do a very good job (on me anyway) of covering my gray! Permanent color usually requires at least a 20-volume developer. It is the longest-lasting, but also a more damaging, option. I don't use a 20 volume.

Hope I didn't confuse you more! I love my Ion demi and use it without fail every 6 weeks for great results :)
  • ArcadyArcady Posts: 14Registered Users
    wavywonder wrote: »

Thanks so much, this really was helpful! Just the info I needed :)
  • FactwomanFactwoman Posts: 8Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I also Ion Color Brilliance Demi with the 10 volume developer to cover my grey. I am over 60% grey and it covers all of them beautifully and without the damage that permanent and semi color was doing to my hair. I follow the same routine and put the color on my roots for 45 minutes and then work through ends for an additional 10 to refresh the color.

I do have very dry hair so before coloring I put melted coconut oil all over my hair for at least an hour and then apply the color over the coconut oil. It protects my hair and leaves it super soft and shiny.
    3A
    Highly porous.
    Color over grey/blond

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file