Cowashing Wavy Hair

russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users
Any other wavies that use cowash notice this...

When I cowash, I seem to come out of the shower with really nice clumps but when I shampoo the curls are more stringy. However, when I add stylers then, sometimes it feels like too much moisture.

Is that because the cowash provides enough moisture? Thoughts? Tips?
2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran

Comments

• SamcoSamco Posts: 2Registered Users
    The same thing happens with me. I have 2A / B hair and i started cowashing today. My hair clumps so much better than it did with shampoo. I know its because my hair needed more moisture - it was so dry and greasy feeling when i was using shampoo.
  • ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Posts: 143Registered Users
    I love the way my hair clumped together when I cowashed!

Unfortunately for me, my scalp absolutely loathes cowashing, so I have to settle for low-poo. It works fine, but the clumps aren't as nice as when cowashing!

If your hair is feeling a little too moisturized, look for products that contain more protein to balance it out. Alternatively, you can skip the moisturizing products for a few washes too.
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,349Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It can be a real balancing act. I do more shampooing now than I used to, but when I co-wash, I use Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose, which seems to me actually to be a bit drying for a conditioner. It has alcohol in it, which is maybe why it seems drying to me. So you could look for a really light conditioner, which would still give you clumps but not overmoisturize your hair.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users
    Shampooing yesterday made my hair REALLY greasy. Of course, I did it to get rid of the silicones in some hair products I've used, but since I'm going full CG now, I wanted to get rid of them. Seems to be a common trend... Shampooing either makes my hair dry or greasy.

Does this happen to anyone else? Or am I just so close to the curly spectrum that I need more moisture?
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file