I think my hair needs protein... HELP!!!

russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I've been having a lot of breakage lately and my hair doesn't seem to be responding much to the products I'm currently using. It's fine, but dense, 2c curls (I think 3a on a good day, 2b/a on a bad day).

I'm not sure if Aubrey GPB reformulated because it doesn't seem to be doing much for my hair any more. I am also diffusing every other day so maybe that's the issue?! I do use a heat protector tho...

Thoughts?! Advice?! Help?!

Please and thank you!
2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Shea butter can build up on hair- I see you listed a few SM products in your signature. If you have buildup your products won't be as effective. For a full reset, I would clarify, and follow with GPB.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I really love Sally's Colorful Neutral Protein Filler added to my regular conditioner.

What do you use as a heat protector? I second clarifying before doing anything else if you haven't tried that.

I believe Aubrey Organics uses alcohol in their products, do you think that might be an issue?
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,524Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Do you think it's possible that your hair has *too much* protein? That can make the strands less stretchy and cause breakage. But if your hair still feels OK (that is, not dry and tangly), you're probably OK with not being overloaded on protein.

The only thing I could suggest is maybe an oil prepoo. Perhaps your hair needs more elasticity, and I think that oil prepoos are supposed to help with that.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hmmm....

@sixelamy, I've never had issues with alcohol before, but possibly! And @therese1, I'll try an oil pre-poo! Any recommendations?

Current Products:

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just tried a coconut oil pre-poo and then shampoo'd and finished up with Aubrey Organics GPB.
    I think my hair felt kind of stiff afterwards, which is the first time for me.
    My hair also wasn't clumping... So does that mean too much protein?

Current Products:

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,524Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I have problems with coconut oil on my hair, so I always use sunflower oil. Coconut oil seems to make my hair crispy and doesn't want to wash out. I suppose it is possible that the coconut oil made your hair stiff and unable to clump; not sure. I'm terrible at diagnosing hair issues! Do you think you got all the coconut oil out with your shampoo?
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file