Wash n go and Type 4

AfromuffinAfromuffin Registered Users Posts: 158
So how does one develop a simple routine of a wash n go?
For example, when I did the maximum hydration method, my hair clumped and I had so many coils.
Now that I've given up on it, my hair seems to not clump and coil as much.
I could keep doing twistouts and braids, but sometimes you just want to wear your natural texture.

Comments

• CurlySiaCurlySia Registered Users Posts: 164
    The key for me is to work in small sections and apply product to soaking wet hair. I start with my hair in four sections then break those down into two or three sections depending on if the section is low porosity (crown, very front and sides) or normal porosity. Then, I rinse the conditioner making sure my hair is still soaking wet before immediately applying my leave-in. Then I take a couple palmfuls of water and put it on my hair to get it soaking wet again and put on my gel.

Naptural85 has a video that is similar to the way I style my wash n go in the warmer weather, but right now my hair seems to need something more substantial than AVJ and oil. https://youtu.be/fbSOwGvl5sU

I noticed the clay rinse in particular really helps my hair clump when I did the MHM, so I tend to use only the clay when my hair isn't clumping with just water. The Natural Haven did a couple blogs about hair clumping with clay: THE NATURAL HAVEN: Curl clumping in type 4c hair - Hair Conditioner vs Bentonite Clay and THE NATURAL HAVEN: Curl Clumping in 4c hair : Bentonite Clay vs Hair Conditioner Take 2 I use a mix of bentonite and rhassoul.
    4a / 3c fine texture, low and normal porosity
    washing/cowashing, conditioning: devacurl decadence one condition, hair rules quench, as i am coconut cowash, curl junkie daily fix, curl rehab
    leave in: curl junkie smoothing lotion, hawaiian silky 14 in 1, hair rules quench, as i am, camille rose fresh curl
    styling: hair rules curly whip, camille rose curl maker
    sealants: oil rinse with Africa's Best Herbal Oil, Soultanicals Knot Dressing, bekura palm tapioca or jane carter nourish & shine
  • NeuyogiNeuyogi Registered Users Posts: 1
    Afromuffin wrote: »
    So how does one develop a simple routine of a wash n go?
    For example, when I did the maximum hydration method, my hair clumped and I had so many coils.
    Now that I've given up on it, my hair seems to not clump and coil as much.
    I could keep doing twistouts and braids, but sometimes you just want to wear your natural texture.
    Not sure I understand your question. A wash and go routine involves cleansing, conditioning and styling. How often you do this is up to you. The key to continuing to have clumping curls when you revisit a wash and go after other styles, is to maintain your moisture levels. So when you have twists are you sprinting or wetting or bagging to maintain moisture? I direct you to people like protective princess (youtuber) and nappilynigeriangirl (blogger) who easily move between protective styling and wash and gos. Protective princess has a video on moisturizing vs hydrating which is helpful. I was a former mhmer but the constant manipulation didn't work for me. Now I have wash day weekly and try to do more protective styles, however I do a wash and go one to two weeks in a month. No matter my hairstyle, I am make sure to moisturize daily or almost daily. I blog about my experience (livingcoily.wordpress.com). Good luck!
  • GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Registered Users Posts: 312 Curl Connoisseur
    I find that type 4 hair really responds well to being styled soaking wet, loaded with moisturizing product, and ensuring that every strand is covered. The Anthony dickey wash and go videos demonstrate this well. With the Max Hydration Method, the clay is the key. Maybe bring in a clay rinse between your shampoo and DC steps.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
  • Chen417Chen417 Registered Users Posts: 12
    When I do my wash and gos I really helps if my hair is soaking wet! My hair is the easiest to work with when its like this.
    Section your hair off and start from the back. After wetting your hair apply product or a curl defining cream and add gel for a nice hold. Shingle your hair for even more definition.
  • CuriousAquariusCuriousAquarius Registered Users Posts: 41
    Definitely agree with the soaking wet part. I have low porosity and yeah... .

I find my best wash and gos happen when I apply products when I'm still in the shower and I shingle them through in sections lol and then don't touch it
    Products I use:
    Shampoo: SM JBCO shampoo/ ACV rinses
    Cowash: Taliah Waajad Creamy Cowash
    Conditioner: Giovanni 50:50/ Giovanni Tea Tree
    Leave-in: CJ Curl Assurance/ SM Strengthening Milk
    Deep conditioner: EVA Nye/ ORS Hair Mayo
    Oils: Apricot oil/ Avocado oil/ Coconut oil

Current (working on) Regimen:
    ACV rinses once a month
    SLS shampoo and deep condition once a week
    Protein treatment: 2x a month
    Cowash midweek