I bought it: SheaMoisture Low Porosity Protein-Free Shampoo, Conditioner & Detangler

CurlsInVACurlsInVA Posts: 5Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Just happened to walk by an end cap in Target on New Year's Eve and noticed three Shea Moisture products I've never seen before. As I got close enough to read the labels, it was if God himself had answered all of my prayers: a shampoo, conditioner and leave-in with LOW POROSITY PROTEIN-FREE in all caps on the label!!!!!!

I don't remember the last time I was that giddy!

Although I had no intention of washing my hair that night, I couldn't help but try out the products.

Never in my 42 years of life have my curls looked better. They were bouncy, moisturized, defined, frizz free and looked UH-MAZING!!! Even my 6 year old said, "Wow mommy, your hair is really curly tonight!" Nothing quite like the best hair day of your life, and watching the ball drop from your living room sofa in sweats and a t-shirt!!

I was also thrilled that they didn't include any coconut derived ingredients, which most of the other Shea Moisture collections include. My hair is a wreck when I use products with coconut derived ingredients (straw-like, tangled, dry, etc.)

The ONLY negative feedback I have about the products is that the essential oil blend (fragrance) that Shea Moisture chose is EXTREMELY overpowering and in my opinion completely unnecessary. My husband said to me, "Wow hon, the smell of your hair is overwhelming, and for the record, that's not a compliment." I could even smell it 24 hours later, so the scent lingers. At one point, I thought I was going to have to shower again because I felt like I couldn't stand the scent anymore.

Not sure if there is anything I could add, or do, to mask the scent? Please comment if you have any ideas. The ingredient list refers to the fragrance as an 'essential oil blend', but the oils appear to be:

Baobab
Tea tree
Spearamint
Clary

Shea Moisture, if you read these threads, you have created an amazing product, but please find a way to remove the scent. Fragrance Free would be ideal, but at a minimum, please significantly reduce the fragrance.

On the same end cap in Target was a blue label by Shea Moisture which read High Porosity Protein-Free. It think it also had an oil in the collection, but since I have low porosity hair, I didn't spend much time looking at the high porosity products.

If anyone finds another products in this line other than the shampoo, conditioner, or detangler, please post it so that I know to go and look for it.

And yes, I found it VERY odd that Shea Moisture's website doesn't even make mention of the new collection. I am thrilled to find this collection, now I just need to figure out how to eliminate the scent!

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Wow! What a find. I'm glad it worked for you, but I'm sorry about the scent! I am sensitive to fragrances too, so I know how frustrating that is. I wish I had some suggestions for removing the scent, but I don't. :(
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • BeautyOGBeautyOG Posts: 383Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wow! I'll have to try that!

~Jenae (Sent from CurlTalk App)
    My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

• angeles902angeles902 Posts: 8Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    any one know where i can find this online? unfortunately, target is no longer in canada - can't seem to find this line on sheamoisture's website (unless i'm blind as a bat).
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That's exciting since I have sworn off their shampoos and conditioners. I finally figured out I can use the smoothie if I use a super tiny amount but it would be nice if they had a curl cream no coconut. Glad they fugured out not everyone's hair likes coconut oil.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • adresp2006adresp2006 Posts: 9Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I very recently realized that my hair is low porosity and was thrilled when Shea Moisture released this product. I got the leave-in/detangler and true to its word, my hair actually was bouncy and manageable.. However, I do agree - the smell is overpowering...The other issue I had was my 2nd/3rd day hair was frizzy as hell..I dont know if it was because of the product or my hair in general..

This product is however worth for LP hair :) !!
    3A-3B/Low Porosity/Medium Texture
  • kl9316kl9316 Posts: 1Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use the leave in too. It is amazing. I have low porosity 3c curls.

This leave in leaves my hair super soft, bouncy, and super defined on the first day. After day one my hair gets extremely frizzy and extremely less defined. I pineapple my hair and put it in a satin bonnet at night, but it still gets super frizzy.

I wish they had a styler for this line like they do for the high porosity collection though. I feel like a styler would help keep my hair defined past the first day.

The smell is strong at first but It goes away after a while. I like the smell of peppermint, so I don't mind the smell of this leave in.

Overall, I would give this a 4.8/5.
  • CurlySiaCurlySia Posts: 164Registered Users
    I'm looking forward to trying these. My local Target recently put the Zanzibar line on clearance, so I'm hoping it's to make room for the new SM, but I'm not holding out hope since we rarely get new lines here. Even my local Walgreens and CVS don't carry their SM exclusives and we only get an edited version of the Target designer exclusives. We're finally getting a two Trader Joe's this year. I was told before I moved to OK that it is at *least* a decade behind the rest of the US. lol

I'm LP but am really curious about the baobab protein in the HP line so I will probably mix and match. Plus, my hair can be iffy when it comes to glycerin.
    4a / 3c fine texture, low and normal porosity
    washing/cowashing, conditioning: devacurl decadence one condition, hair rules quench, as i am coconut cowash, curl junkie daily fix, curl rehab
    leave in: curl junkie smoothing lotion, hawaiian silky 14 in 1, hair rules quench, as i am, camille rose fresh curl
    styling: hair rules curly whip, camille rose curl maker
    sealants: oil rinse with Africa's Best Herbal Oil, Soultanicals Knot Dressing, bekura palm tapioca or jane carter nourish & shine
  • Jessica.MitcJessica.Mitc Posts: 2Registered Users
    Hi, Target has it on their website and just checked....its on sale!!!
  • Jessica.MitcJessica.Mitc Posts: 2Registered Users
    I love this stuff. I've only used the Detangler with my own homemade shampoo and conditioner. For a styler I used my standby for my wash and go, Extreme Wetline. I got such amazing results that I'm going to have to try the shampoo and rinse out conditioner. I fight so much with my low porosity, 4a/b hair and I'm just happy to get 3 day hair! I did use it on soaking wet hair, then my gel. I'm feeling like it may work with any styler. However, I would love it if they had a styler in this line too. But for now, happy happy happy.
    Yes, the smell was alot and I'm a little heavy handed. For that reason, it feels almost gummy or sticky (a little goes a long way) on my first day. However, the results for the next days are so worth it! My hair looks almost juicy without refreshing it. Can't even remember using a commercial product that worked this well for me. Thanks Shea Moisture and thanks Target. AND, it looks like its on sale this week!
  • MariamwinstonMariamwinston Posts: 1Registered Users
    I found this line at TARGET and absolutely love the low porosity line. It works very well with my hair and I found that the conditioner and leave in conditioner alone was all I needed for my wash n go. No other curly creams or gels. My long thick, 4A hair was extremely moisturized and soft. I do not think the smell is overpowering and I actually LOVE the smell, it has a very clean and natural smell of the essential oils that are in the product. I hope Shea Moisture does not remove theses oils. My only negative is that I can not find the Low porosity products on the SM website. They sold out in TARGET; so apparently this product is a MUST HAVE.

PS. Shea Moisture -please do not change the natural scent
  • LoveliamLoveliam Posts: 318Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    CUrlsInVa, out of curiosity, what is your curl type? And is your hair fine, etc.?
    Leigh :)
    3a mixed with 2C???
    Fine Texture
    Normal to low Porosity
    Low Elasticity

Mop Top Low Poo or Deva low poo
    Deva One Condition
    Deva B'leave-in for higher dews (Deva Foam for low dews).
    Deva Firm Hold Gel
    HG: Sweet Curls Crazy Curly Hard Hold Elixir after applying Deva and for 2nd/third day.
  • Curlista93Curlista93 Posts: 411Registered Users Curl Novice
    I want to try the leave in detangler. Getting it this weekend. Hopefully I will get good results, it has no coconut oil in it which is great!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    Kinky Curly, 4a, Fine Texture 
    Last Relaxer: 2/11/2012
    Latest BC: 11/24/2018

• MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Not to hijack this thread but have any of you ladies tried the SM 10- in 1 shampoo? if so, how does it compare to the LP formula?
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,784Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    This is too funny! Based on what I've read, my hair is high porosity, yet it DID NOT like the the SheaMoisture High Porosity gel or masque--made it too greasy and NOT moisturized at all. In fact it was left brittle. Probably due to the product being predominantly shea butter.

However, it LOVES the SheaMoisture Low Porosity Detangler! My hair also stays moisturized longer when it is on dry hair vs wet or damp, and it is not greasy. Hope it does well so that the company will make a larger bottle.
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
    Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
    Spritz/Sealant:not now
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • RafterBatRafterBat Posts: 182Registered Users Curl Novice
    I wanted to like it, but will be taking all three products back. My hair looked OK - maybe a *little* more curl only on one side - but felt very crispy. The scent really put me off, too. I live near Ithaca, and the way my hair smelled made me feel like I should join the hippie types on the Commons, lol, sort of earthy and incense or patchouli-ish. I might have put up with that if my hair had retained softness, but the line just does not seem to work for me. :(
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • pff420pff420 Posts: 1Registered Users
    So I am about to run out of my current shampoo (I've been switching once a bottle finishes... haven't found my HG yet). I discovered this newer line from SM and am really hoping this is it! My current shampoo does contain mint and tea tree oil, but isn't necessarily for curly hair nor is it sulfate free. So I think this would be a step in the right direction!

I really have wanted the DevaCurl shampoo to work, but I have a sensitive scalp and DC just doesn't do it for me. Now, conditioner is another story... I've always had great results with the DC One Condition (at salons anyways... at home it was inconsistent). I'm wondering if the SM Baobab & Tea Tree Oils Low Porosity Protein-Free Conditioner would be better. Not sure...

I have yet to find the right combo of styling products that I'm happy with. I had my hair cut/styled with a top curly-trained stylist awhile back and it turned out amazing. She said she only used the DevaCurl MirrorCurls. So I'd like to try that out as well... I've heard it does better mixed with other gels but not sure.. we'll have to see. I do know to apply it with soaking wet hair so hopefully that's enough.

I want to love my hair again!

.:Hair Type:.

Pattern: mainly 3a, some 2c/3b
    Porosity: low
    Density: low/medium
    Width: coarse
    Length: medium (layered)

.:Still looking for the right products... soon to try these:.
    Shampoo: SheaMoisture Baobab & Tea Tree Oils Low Porosity Protein-Free Shampoo
    Conditioner: SheaMoisture Baobab & Tea Tree Oils Low Porosity Protein-Free Conditioner
    Styler: SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
  • CatalleyCatalley Posts: 1Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    To curls in VA-Hi, I know it's been 6 months since you posted--but I just ran across it. I also find many products way too odiferous. I've had some success using pure vanilla extract to modify the scent of hair products. It doesn't take much, and I always test it by mixing a drop into the product in my hand. That way you don't contaminate the entire bottle--especially if you hate the result. I got the idea for this because if you put vanilla extract into paint it reduces the odor greatly without altering the color, so why wouldn't it work in hair products?
  • moonliteskyemoonliteskye Posts: 43Registered Users
    I know this post is old but I've been thinking of trying this line out! Hopefully it works for me too!
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have unfortunately not see the LP line in my area. The high porosity line is. I dont want to order it...will have to check Target's website.
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 380Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Target has this line... and they ship to Canada now. .

As for the scent problems.. as long as they are naturally derived, I dont mind. In fact I like the smells of the natural oils they use in this one! So much better than some of the other heavily perfumed products.

Love the feedback, this thread convinced me to try the whole line and my boyfriend, who has even lower porosity hair, will benefit from it as well. (He is not a fraidy cat when it comes to curly hair products) :)
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!
  • ExMathMajorExMathMajor Posts: 23Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I never really understood the whole hair porosity thing. I've done the hair-in-water test maybe 3 times in the last 12 years and each time the hair sat on top. So this week I finally decided to accept the results of that test and, after reading some reviews, bought the low-porosity leave-in detangler at Target just to see what would happen. I also bought HE Naked Cleansing Conditioner because I'd tried the regular conditioner once and (spoiler alert) liked the scent.

Wednesday I used the cleansing conditioner and the leave-in and used CR Curl Maker as my styler. The definition could have been better (I need real shampoo for that), but the shine and softness was AMAZING. It's been a really long time since my hair felt this good, so maybe there really is something to this porosity thing.

As for the scent...let's just say that the combination of two strong-smelling products resulted in my head being enveloped in a cloud of minty herbaceousness (herbiness? lol) for a good 48 hours. For those who find the scent too strong, I agree with the previous poster about adding a few drops of vanilla. Minty herbaceous is my JAM though, so my vanilla is going to flavor my cakes and cookies like it's supposed to.
    4b/4c/4a + 20 years + nearly every natural hairstyle including locs = IT REALLY IS JUST HAIR. And I love mine! :angel9:
    lol awesome ^^.

I refuse to buy it until I have used up some of the stuff I have now "junkie much?" but I can't wait to try it!!

What can we try for definition? I am a definite kinky curly custard junkie. Will likely try that on top.
    __
    Canadian Mama!
    lol awesome ^^.

I refuse to buy it until I have used up some of the stuff I have now "junkie much?" but I can't wait to try it!!

What can we try for definition? I am a definite kinky curly custard junkie. Will likely try that on top.
    __
    Canadian Mama!
  • Jess11Jess11 Posts: 2Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes the scent is outrageous like really cheap perfume. I washed my hair the next day with clarifying shampoo and I still couldn't get the smell out. I was embarrassed going to work smelling like that. People were making stank face who smelled it. Please Shea take out the fragrance.
  • Jess11Jess11 Posts: 2Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes the scent is outrageous like really cheap perfume. I washed my hair the next day with clarifying shampoo and I still couldn't get the smell out. I was embarrassed going to work smelling like that. People were making stank face when I passed by. Please Shea take out the fragrance.
  • misscoilyhairmisscoilyhair Posts: 2Registered Users
    CurlsInVA wrote: »
    Just happened to walk by an end cap in Target on New Year's Eve and noticed three Shea Moisture products I've never seen before. As I got close enough to read the labels, it was if God himself had answered all of my prayers: a shampoo, conditioner and leave-in with LOW POROSITY PROTEIN-FREE in all caps on the label!!!!!!

Although I had no intention of washing my hair that night, I couldn't help but try out the products.

Never in my 42 years of life have my curls looked better. They were bouncy, moisturized, defined, frizz free and looked UH-MAZING!!! Even my 6 year old said, "Wow mommy, your hair is really curly tonight!" Nothing quite like the best hair day of your life, and watching the ball drop from your living room sofa in sweats and a t-shirt!!

I was also thrilled that they didn't include any coconut derived ingredients, which most of the other Shea Moisture collections include. My hair is a wreck when I use products with coconut derived ingredients (straw-like, tangled, dry, etc.)

The ONLY negative feedback I have about the products is that the essential oil blend (fragrance) that Shea Moisture chose is EXTREMELY overpowering and in my opinion completely unnecessary. My husband said to me, "Wow hon, the smell of your hair is overwhelming, and for the record, that's not a compliment." I could even smell it 24 hours later, so the scent lingers. At one point, I thought I was going to have to shower again because I felt like I couldn't stand the scent anymore.

Not sure if there is anything I could add, or do, to mask the scent? Please comment if you have any ideas. The ingredient list refers to the fragrance as an 'essential oil blend', but the oils appear to be:

Baobab
    Tea tree
    Spearamint
    Clary

Shea Moisture, if you read these threads, you have created an amazing product, but please find a way to remove the scent. Fragrance Free would be ideal, but at a minimum, please significantly reduce the fragrance.

On the same end cap in Target was a blue label by Shea Moisture which read High Porosity Protein-Free. It think it also had an oil in the collection, but since I have low porosity hair, I didn't spend much time looking at the high porosity products.

If anyone finds another products in this line other than the shampoo, conditioner, or detangler, please post it so that I know to go and look for it.

And yes, I found it VERY odd that Shea Moisture's website doesn't even make mention of the new collection. I am thrilled to find this collection, now I just need to figure out how to eliminate the scent!
    Everything you said here is so right. My hair looked and felt great after using it. I actually love the fragrance though.
  • misscoilyhairmisscoilyhair Posts: 2Registered Users
    CurlsInVA wrote: »

Baobab
    Tea tree
    Spearamint
    Clary

Everything you said here is so right. My hair looked and felt great after using it. I actually love the fragrance though.
  • nadalamanadalama Posts: 1Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    edited November 2017
    I am trying to learn how to manage my hair, after having treated it all wrong for my whole adult life.  Just accidentally discovered it would get curly if I left it alone after washing, this was about a month ago, and so far have been finding more of what doesn't work than what does.  Stylist who did my last trim was the first person I ever heard say "low porosity," and yeah, my hair is that, so it's taken some time to work my way through a few products that are far too heavy for my hair.

Just about two hours ago I tried SM's Low-Porosity line, the shampoo and conditioner only, for the first time.  It's almost dry now, and feels absolutely wonderful.  I will pineapple it for sleeping, and see what I have to work with in the morning.  So far, though, so very good.  I had an easier time detangling my hair with this conditioner than with anything else I've used.

The fragrance is definitely different, and a bit strong, but I love it.

Edited to add:  I think my hair is 2c/3a, and it is fine, graying, and perhaps medium density.  If I take a brush to it, it becomes incredibly frizzy, and has gotten much worse as I've aged.
  • glionglion Posts: 1Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It really does smell rank. I had to give my SM low-porosity shampoo and conditioner to a friends because I couldn't handle the stank. I love the smell of every other SM product available... except the low-porosity one that  my hair wants the most. Blah. 
    2C, low porosity, newbie.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    glion said:
    It really does smell rank. I had to give my SM low-porosity shampoo and conditioner to a friends because I couldn't handle the stank. I love the smell of every other SM product available... except the low-porosity one that  my hair wants the most. Blah. 
    So frustrating! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file