When to Big Chop?

journeytomaiajourneytomaia Posts: 3Registered Users

Last March, I decided I wanted to transition to natural from heat damaged hair. A lot of my hair was damaged, but now I can see a lot of areas with great curl and substantial length. Right now, I am 9 months into my transition and I'm debating on when to big chop!

My plan was to wait until I made it one year, and then I would big chop, but I am so anxious to see my pattern now! I don't know if I'll regret it or not. I think I'm ready, but I can't tell if I want to chop because I'm truly ready or because of frustration.

How do you know when you are genuinely ready to chop? Would it be wise for me to BC now, or wait?

Thank you so much! I just don't want to make a mistake! :colors:

Comments

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    the answer, of course, is it is a very personal decision. what bothers you more -- the look of 2 textures and how to deal with them, or the look of short hair after you chop?
    i transitioned out of coloring my hair (darkest brown/black to it's natural gray/white) and i remember it was at 9 months that i cut off not all, but much of the color. it was shorter than i normally wear my hair but i was happy to have more than half my hair one color. however, i did read when people do that when they are transitioning from color that they are so upset by the change in length that they start coloring their hair again.
    can you do a midway cut? would that be helpful at all?i don't know how tight your curl is so 9 months is meaningless as to how long the new hair is when curly. if you have a face that works with shorter hair, then maybe you will be happier and encouraged after you chop.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • journeytomaiajourneytomaia Posts: 3Registered Users
    A midway chop is something to consider! I definitely hadn't thought about that before. I really just wonder if I would hate my hair if I chop. As far as what I can see, I'm a 3c texture, so I don't think the shrinkage would be terrible. I am not really opposed to maybe shoulder length, or even chin length, but anything shorter and I would have a fit. How did you feel when you chopped? Did you feel any relief or did you think you should have waited?
    while i cut my hair shorter and it was a short cut, i did do a very short cut. in it's dry state it reached below my earlobes, but just above the chin. and, my top layers were long.

i did not like the cut but i think because the black/white color was so drastic and after 9 months i got very tired of wearing headbands every day, even the stretchy ones became annoying, that i was happy i cut off a large part of the color. the bottoms of my hair still were dyed, but while i did not love the length of the cut, i was happy with my progress transitioning and i knew with each month my hair would get a bit longer. i don't wear my hair very long, my best length for my hair/face is just above my shoulders, so it wasn't too drastic for me.

a midway cut can give you a little more control over the texture differences. and some style/accessories might work better that way. you have to decide what length you can live with. 3c is a very tight curl so if you do get it cut make sure they cut it dry to better see the finished length.

you don't even have to do midway, you can try a couple of inches. and remember, it will grow. it's already been 9 months!

• CurlMeisterCurlMeister Posts: 9Registered Users
    Four or five years ago, I just buzzed all my hair off. Do you think it's worse to buzz your hair off than to just chop a significant part off? I have a craving to buzz my hair short again.
    there is no right or wrong, ill's what works for YOU.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file