Teasing brush

Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,206Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
I often lack volume in my fine hair, so today I bought a teasing brush. I'm just wondering if it can cause damage to the hair if used too often? I assume that it could maybe cause the cuticles of the hair to break off a bit, since you're brushing the "wrong" way (i.e., toward the scalp). Anyone have experience with using one of these?
Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
RO: IN Harmonic
LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Comments

• chickittenchickitten Posts: 90Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I haven't used teasing brushes on my hair just 'cause my waves quickly frizz when I disturb it too much. From what I've read, teasing brushes can damage hair, but I think if you're gentle with your brushing and when you detangle the tease you should be fine. Have you tried clipping your hair at the roots with clips/prongs? My roots are pretty flat cause of my long hair and cut (I like my cut too much, so it's a compromise lol) and it really helps when I clip. If you search on Youtube for The Polished Curl's channel, she has a video on how she clips her fine-normal hair.
    :cat:
    2C/3A. med-high porosity. waist length. balayaged. LI - Curl Keeper - G.:duckie:
    My Faves
    [*]S: SM ABS. SM Manuka Honey. Ouidad Superfruit Clarifying[*]Condish: GVP Cond. Balm
    [*]Gel: CURL KEEPER! (alone or under the following:), LA LOOKS Sport/Mega
    [*]Cream: SM CES
    [*]LI: As I Am LI
    [*] PT: Aphogee 2-step (1x Month), ION EC (discont.)
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,206Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Thanks for the reply, chickitten! I do clip my hair, but my hair goes flat anyway. But I do know that the clips do help, because I've also tried not clipping, and the top is even flatter. :( I will check out the Polished Curl for clipping ideas--sometimes it helps to try clipping a different way.

I actually forgot that I have the teasing brush, lol. I recently bought a lot of products and have been playing with them and so forgot about the brush. I don't plan to be too heavy handed with it; I'll just use it a bit at the crown when nothing else seems to work.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • PetuliaPetulia Posts: 1Registered Users
    I never believed that teasing could actually damage hair, because I always make sure to do it correctly. I made the mistake of sleeping with teased hair and for about a month I was left with one bunch of really tangled hair. I ended up having to cut the hair because it was so badly tangled and I'd tried everything. I also noticed that my hair was shedding ridiculously during this time.
    Before this, I'd never had any problems with teasing. If you tease correctly (combing up to down and up-down, not up-down and then down-up) and make sure to wash and condition it out before the end of the day then your hair should be fine. Also, you can try to use hair-bumps as an alternative, because they usually require only a little bit of backcombing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file