Confused with my Hair...

LilBookBugLilBookBug Posts: 10Registered Users
Howdy! I've been stalking for a long time but this is my first post. :)
For a year or two now I have been trying to improve the condition of my hair and bring out my curls. I think I have a mix of 2b and 2c hair (according to the tests on this site, I get various results). I have a straighter top layer and ringlets underneath, but no matter what I do to try to get my hair to retain its curls or form curls on the top layer -- I fail! :( I have SUPER thick hair and it has grown quite long (My goal length is hip length, although I'm not sure if maybe that's a part of my curl-problems). I have tried mousses, gels, creams etc and they all just make my hair feel and look gross and/or weigh down my hair. So lately I've just been using non-sulfate shampoos and non-silicone conditioners, (have been doing this for almost a year), air dry, and use a mixture of oils that I just run through my hair... that's it. I just don't know where to go from there. I live in a country that does not know much at all about naturally curly hair.
Anyways I have lots of questions and I believe that my hair has great potential, I just don't know how to get it there. ;) Please help me. :angel9:
LilB
P.S. I have uploaded some pictures so you can see, if that helps. This is my freshly washed, nothing-in-it and absolutely unstyled hair. I tried to show the bottom layer too... but the pics are really bad quality, sorry. :(

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,226Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    LilB, you have gorgeous hair! There are a lot of people (moi) who would kill for that hair. In case you don't get much in the way of suggestions, it's because when something looks that good, why mess with it?
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You might want to try flax seed gel or a nice cream like Original Moxie Shape Shifter or Camille Rose Whipped Aloe Gel. The have a teensy bit of hold but extremely hydrating. Very soft.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • LilBookBugLilBookBug Posts: 10Registered Users
    LilB, you have gorgeous hair! There are a lot of people (moi) who would kill for that hair. In case you don't get much in the way of suggestions, it's because when something looks that good, why mess with it?

Aw, thanks so much! That's really encouraging to hear. :)
    chupie wrote: »
    You might want to try flax seed gel or a nice cream like Original Moxie Shape Shifter or Camille Rose Whipped Aloe Gel. The have a teensy bit of hold but extremely hydrating. Very soft.
    Thanks, Chupie, I shall look into that! :)
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I don't have experience with thick hair (mine is very fine), but there is a gal on Youtube who has done quite a few videos on coarse, wavy hair: RockynCurls. Maybe she has some information that would help. Here is a link to one of her videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwYsto4Iv-U
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Therese1 wrote: »
    I don't have experience with thick hair (mine is very fine), but there is a gal on Youtube who has done quite a few videos on coarse, wavy hair: RockynCurls. Maybe she has some information that would help. Here is a link to one of her videos:

Thank you! I will look into that. :)
  • KatesWavesKatesWaves Posts: 3Registered Users
    Though my hair is fine (and a lot of it!), my natural curl pattern is very similar to yours-- almost straight on top, and curlier on the bottom (see pic of the day I last used a regular shampoo/conditioner with no product before starting CG).

What I have found (so far, I'm still new to this) is that using a harder hold gel really helps my top layer. I focus on applying to the top first, with the largest amount of gel there, and then I flip over and finger-comb a small amount of gel through the rest. From there, I just scrunch a bunch, again upside down, but focusing mostly on that top layer, then let air dry without touching. Before starting CG, I would shampoo and style daily, finishing with a blow-dryer and diffuser, which also helped with that top layer, if I scrunched using the diffuser.

I also find that I have better luck if my top layer is shorter.

Hope that offers a bit of help/ ideas to try!
    CG since 1/4/16
    Wavy 2c/2b
    Cardio/lifting workout 6 days/week

Currently Using:
    DevaCurl No Poo, DevaCurl One Condition, DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel, DevaCurl Mist-er Right, Garnier Pure Clean Finishing Paste, EVCO

**Secret weapon: Plopping with micro fiber TurbieTowel directly out of the shower while I get dressed**
  • Alyssa.GodfrAlyssa.Godfr Posts: 65Registered Users
    You definitely have a lot more curl in that bottom layer than I do! I think your hair is awesome! I have a similar problem with getting my top layer to curl. I think the squish to condish method has helped me a lot. I think that's the same thing as ice queening, but I'm not sure. Here's a video that describes how to do it. https://youtu.be/tMW0ZsYXAjE

It helps encourage the curl in my hair. Also, hard hold gel helps a lot. I know you said you don't like gel. I didn't either until I tried Ecostyler Argan Oil. You have different hair than me so maybe it won't work the same way for you, but it's worth a shot. It's really cheap.

Finally, what really helps my curls form and hold their shape is diffusing until the gel cast forms.
    KatesWaves wrote: »
    Though my hair is fine (and a lot of it!), my natural curl pattern is very similar to yours-- almost straight on top, and curlier on the bottom (see pic of the day I last used a regular shampoo/conditioner with no product before starting CG).

What I have found (so far, I'm still new to this) is that using a harder hold gel really helps my top layer. I focus on applying to the top first, with the largest amount of gel there, and then I flip over and finger-comb a small amount of gel through the rest. From there, I just scrunch a bunch, again upside down, but focusing mostly on that top layer, then let air dry without touching. Before starting CG, I would shampoo and style daily, finishing with a blow-dryer and diffuser, which also helped with that top layer, if I scrunched using the diffuser.

I also find that I have better luck if my top layer is shorter.

Hope that offers a bit of help/ ideas to try!
    Thanks Kate! I'll have to focus more on my top layer, then, it looks like. :) Sorry for late reply; haven't checked on here in a while. Oops.
    You definitely have a lot more curl in that bottom layer than I do! I think your hair is awesome! I have a similar problem with getting my top layer to curl. I think the squish to condish method has helped me a lot. I think that's the same thing as ice queening, but I'm not sure. Here's a video that describes how to do it. https://youtu.be/tMW0ZsYXAjE

It helps encourage the curl in my hair. Also, hard hold gel helps a lot. I know you said you don't like gel. I didn't either until I tried Ecostyler Argan Oil. You have different hair than me so maybe it won't work the same way for you, but it's worth a shot. It's really cheap.

Finally, what really helps my curls form and hold their shape is diffusing until the gel cast forms.
    Aw, thank you! I appreciate all of your help! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file