2016 Rice Water Hair Growth Challenge

BeautyOGBeautyOG Posts: 383Registered Users Curl Neophyte
To start off the new year, I wanted to do another challenge. This challenge, is with using Fermented Rice Water.

uploadfromtaptalk1451673741429.jpg

This challenge is in collaboration with Kinky Lil' Monster.

The object of this challenge is to use FRW for healthier hair.

The challenge will last for 6 months (January to May)

Rules:
- Must use rice water at least 2x a month
- No heat or chemical processes (if you must use heat try not to use it everyday)
- Get a trim, if you need it (How much you cut is up to you)
- Wear protective styles (It can be anything, I personally like the buns from Haartraum on YouTube)
- In your first post, please state your hair type, porosity, thickness, texture, length, length goal, and current routine
- Post new length check every week here or on Instagram (Please do real length checks)

I will be hash-taging this challenge #2016FRWHairChallenge

My Instagram: @Jenae_XOXO

Good luck everyone!

~Jenae (Sent from CurlTalk App)
My Hair:
3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
DIY Shampoo
Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
It's a 10 Leave In
Sweet Almond Oil
Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

Comments

• BeautyOGBeautyOG Posts: 383Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hair Type: 3b

Porosity: Low

Thickness: Medium/Course (mostly course)

Density: Thick

Current Length: APL (Curly) WL (Stretched)

Length Goal(s): WL or TBL (Curly)

Routine: Deep condition with FRW or an oil of choice. Co Wash 2x a week with @sheamoisture4u Coconut and hibiscus conditioner. Dentagle in the shower with said conditioner. Leave the conditioner in, braid in 2-4 braids, seal with avocado oil, and dry with a curly tee towel.

What I'm doing to gain length: I take women's multivitamins and biotin. I wear my hair in a bun 95% of the time. I (try to) workout, am a vegan, and I drink a gallon of water per day.

uploadfromtaptalk1453750436384.jpguploadfromtaptalk1453750464139.jpg

~Jenae 3b/C/iii/LP (Sent from CurlTalk App)
    My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

• iMuriiMuri Posts: 5Registered Users
    Rice water? gonna try thatfor sure!
  • AquarielleAquarielle Posts: 64Registered Users
    iMuri wrote: »

You should try it, at least once. I was hesitant but still went on and gave it a try. It was interesting, my hair was shiny! Maybe it was shiny because I've been oiling my hair every other day. Might incorporate this biweekly, though it feels like the type of thing I'd have to do like once or twice a week to see a noticeable change over a period of time. The winter has my hair really dry these days... :thumbdown:

But... I also put some on a cotton ball and used like a toner for my skin, which is also dry. Have any of you tried it on your skin? It would make a good toner. I was reading about it and saw that the Japanese women do this. SO, for the month of January I've used tips from the Indian and the Japanese woman. lol..
    BeautyOG wrote: »
    Hair Type: 3b

Porosity: Low

Thickness: Medium/Course (mostly course)

Density: Thick

Current Length: APL (Curly) WL (Stretched)

Length Goal(s): WL or TBL (Curly)

Routine: Deep condition with FRW or an oil of choice. Co Wash 2x a week with @sheamoisture4u Coconut and hibiscus conditioner. Dentagle in the shower with said conditioner. Leave the conditioner in, braid in 2-4 braids, seal with avocado oil, and dry with a curly tee towel.

What I'm doing to gain length: I take women's multivitamins and biotin. I wear my hair in a bun 95% of the time. I (try to) workout, am a vegan, and I drink a gallon of water per day.

uploadfromtaptalk1453750436384.jpguploadfromtaptalk1453750464139.jpg

That sounds like a nice routine! I'm joining you until the summer to see what happens.

Following after what you typed:

Hair Type: 4, probably 4b or 4c

Porosity: Low in the front, high in the back.. an interesting combo

Thickness: I think it's fine, when I hold one strand with my fingers it's barely visible. But altogether it looks thick and full. Looks deceive.

Density: Fine or low volume

Current Length: SL (Stretched), a baby fro unstretched

Length Goal(s): For these 6 months, a fuller SL. My overall goal is to put my hair in a bun.

Routine: Cleanse with KC Come Clean or Bentonite Clay Mix. FRW rinse then shower cap deep condition with any conditioner on hand (usually Trader Joe's.) Rinse out and jumbo plaits with coconut or castor oil. Oil and braid every other day, plus greenhousing. Repeat weekly.

What I'm doing to gain length: The above routine. Also, I dust every other month or so, and take a multivitamins and biotin. I drink a half gallon of water per day.
    Welcome! I look forward to seeing your progress!

My Hair:

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Aquarielle wrote: »
    iMuri wrote: »

You should try it, at least once. I was hesitant but still went on and gave it a try. It was interesting, my hair was shiny! Maybe it was shiny because I've been oiling my hair every other day. Might incorporate this biweekly, though it feels like the type of thing I'd have to do like once or twice a week to see a noticeable change over a period of time. The winter has my hair really dry these days... :thumbdown:

But... I also put some on a cotton ball and used like a toner for my skin, which is also dry. Have any of you tried it on your skin? It would make a good toner. I was reading about it and saw that the Japanese women do this. SO, for the month of January I've used tips from the Indian and the Japanese woman. lol..

Yup, I use it on my face every night, and also on my hands with hand cream on top to seal it in. My hands, which are usually cracked and cut during the winter from dryness/roughness, have no cuts on them. It's quite remarkable. I put some on my face (and it gets dripped over my body when I dump it on my head in the shower) and it makes my skin so soft.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • coco_emmahcoco_emmah Posts: 1Registered Users
    Hello :)

BeautyOG Thank you for the challenge, sounds great. I would also like to join in! Never heard of rice water being used on hair but just read up on it and I'm excited already. My hair feels like it's been at the same length for 4 years now lol.

I have a question though; my hair is currently in braids. Would it be wise to pour that FRW into the braids or should I just wait till I take out the braids? I'm worried about a build-up I can't wash out easily under the braids.

Here are my details:

Hair Type: 4a/4b

Porosity: high

Thickness: fine

Density: low volume

Current Length: colar bone stretched/ about 2 inches in the air when wet/shrunken

Length Goal(s): Waist length by December!

Routine: Every four weeks I wash my hair with a natural shea butter soap sit with an avocado, yoghurt mix for about an hour. Then it's back to my protective style, braids. I need to deep condition more.

What I'm doing to gain length: I work out and I'm going to start taking some sort of supplements. I'm not sure which would work best though but will start with the biotin.
    Welcome coco_emmah!

~Jenae 3b/C/iii Blog: http://countrycurl.blogspot.com/ (Sent from CurlTalk App)
    My Hair:

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Hey all,

So far I've done my routine twice (which to recap is shampoo, frw rinse, deep condition, oil, jumbo plaits. Greenhouse at night.)

Don't have any pics yet, but I can say that before using frw, my hair would be dry overall in general and shrink up quick. Since doing it twice, my hair looks shinier, seems easier to detangle, and I'm noticing less shed hair, which is a plus for me. It's becoming easier to run my fingers through my hair.

Currently I was taking 1000mcg Biotin daily separately from multivitamin; gonna cut it down to 500mcg since there's already 500mcg in multivitamin. Don't wanna take too much biotin or I'll break out in the face. I take Alive women's multivitamins. What kind are the rest of you taking? Do tell... :)
    Aquarielle wrote: »
    Hey all,

So far I've done my routine twice (which to recap is shampoo, frw rinse, deep condition, oil, jumbo plaits. Greenhouse at night.)

Don't have any pics yet, but I can say that before using frw, my hair would be dry overall in general and shrink up quick. Since doing it twice, my hair looks shinier, seems easier to detangle, and I'm noticing less shed hair, which is a plus for me. It's becoming easier to run my fingers through my hair.

Currently I was taking 1000mcg Biotin daily separately from multivitamin; gonna cut it down to 500mcg since there's already 500mcg in multivitamin. Don't wanna take too much biotin or I'll break out in the face. I take Alive women's multivitamins. What kind are the rest of you taking? Do tell... :)

I'm so glad you are noticing positive effects. I've noticed many of the same, particularly moisture, shine, and major shedding reduction.

As for supplements, ones I take that are useful for hair include biosil (liquid form) and B vitamins. But I find it doesn't matter. Recently I had to go off all supplements due to a health issue. And I couldn't even eat much due to said issues. I was probably a bit anemic too. But I *still* maintain the positive benefits from the rice water. Now, that is saying something. :)

The only reason I'm not joining the challenge is I'm not doing protective styling. But I'm sure for those who try it they will notice beneficial effects on their hair.

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    You can still join the challenge if you'd like. I don't mind if you don't protective style. :)

~Jenae
    3b, Course, High Density, Low Porosity, WL
    Blog: http://countrycurl.blogspot.com/ (Sent from CurlTalk App)
    My Hair:

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

So far, all is going well. I have a new routine now which I like much better than the last one. My hair drys so much faster it's ridiculous!

My Routine:
    1.) Detangle dry hair with a wide tooth comb
    2.) Shampoo or co wash hair and deep condition
    3.) Apply stylers (LOC or LCOG) on damp hair and brush with a paddle brush
    4.) Twist in 12 sections, OR Braid in 8-9, OR define hair with gel and Air dry

My Current Products:
    • Gentle Castle soap (Shampoo)
    • Shea Moisture SuperFruit Complex Hair Masque (Deep Conditioner, Mix with Coconut Milk for Protein Treatment)
    • Shea Moisture Curl and Shine Conditioner (Mix with La Looks for a Curl Cream)
    • Shea Moisture Manuka Honey Conditioner (Cream)
    • It's a 10 Leave-In Product (Leave-In, Heat Protectent)
    • Avocado Oil (Sealant)
    • LA Looks Extreme Sport Gel (Gel Styler)

What I'm doing for Hair Growth:
    • Sealing my ends
    • Keeping my hair braided
    • I take Biotin (but not for hair growth)
    • I use FRW in my leave in and DC
    • I'm vegan and I drink 1 gallon of water a day

Since the beginning of this challenge, I have gained about 1 inch. I gave myself a baby trim about two weeks ago so I haven't gained that much length last month.

The shirt I'm wearing is baggy (on me anyway, I'm a really tiny person) so you can't really see were my waist is, but my hair is one inch past my waist. It's now getting closer to my hip bone. Probably another 2-3 inches and I'll be at hip length.
    My Hair:

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Hey all,

So far I've done my routine 5 times.

Now instead of doing the rinse before deep conditioning, I do it after as the very last step before oiling and braiding.

Growth was about a little over an inch so far but I trimmed my hair a little more than dusting the last time. The back of my hair is already at SL but my initial goal was to have a fuller SL. The rest of my hair is catching up now, so it looks like I'm gonna meet my goal on time which is awesome!

Growth aside, I've also noticed a significant drop in shedding and using combs. This is going to set me on the path to using fingers only. Another plus!! This is great even if you don't protective style.

coco_emmah, I don't think there would be any buildup in the braids. I was worried about buildup in the beginning. When I say I now do the rinse as the last step, this means I'm not rinsing it out when I pour it on. I haven't noticed any buildup or anything strange.

Till next time :)
    :thumright: Hey all,

Hopefully your days have been as peaceful as possible and everything is going well in your lives !!

So it's April already! Two months to go, and a little over an inch in growth to date. I have my progress pics but my hair doesn't grow dramatically so I'm saving the pics to show at the end of May.

Basically now, I keep my FRW in a spray bottle in the fridge, spraying my mini twists or braids and a scalp massage every other day. There has been no buildup for me, no itching, less shed hair, my hair is easier to style even when dry, and detangling is a breeze! So, my routine is now simplified to this:

• Shampoo or clay wash (usually clay wash)
    • Deep conditioner under plastic cap (any conditioner will do)
    • Oil damp hair and scalp, then jumbo braids or twists (usually coconut, castor or olive oil)
    • Spray every other day with FRW mix (which is 1 spray bottle full of FRW + 2 drops peppermint oil, shake up and leave in fridge), then oil and braid or twist hair again
    For someone with dry 4c hair this has been quite an impressive transition. I actually spent some time going through all of my old posts, looking at complaints of dry hair and switching so many products all of the time. My hair has never grown fast unless I weave it up, so I'm honestly not too clear on how the rice water has affected growth, but it looks and feels healthier now. I'll definitely have full SL and be able to start bunning for winter as I keep this up through the summer. But ladies, I can definitely say that either the rice water or the constant oiling has contributed to the less shedding and easier detangling, and if you think about it - less shedding + easier detangling has gotta equal length retention, so sounds like a win/win!

Still taking biotin; I've never noticed dramatic change in my skin or hair but I take it anyway because it's only $6!

Now I'm onto building a fitness challenge. I'm just flat out outta shape... and tired.

Hope to hear your responses soon, chat later!!
    That's great @Aquarielle! I can't wait to see your pictures!

The last month has been really busy and I haven't had much time for the socials. Stress has taken its toll, and I haven't seen much hair growth this month. (Wait, I take that back. ONE curl, when stretched, comes down to my hip. ONE curl people)

My routine has been evolving into a simpler routine:
    1. Pre-Wash (if I have time)
    2. Shampoo 2x a week
    3. Deep Condition for 5 mins
    4. Apply LI, Comb hair, and braid.

I finally am on a regular exercise schedule! I feel so much better now that I have a routine!

I'm still taking biotin for health purposes, but I am interested in the TheSugarBear hair growth vitamins.

I don't have any pictures, I've been too busy. But I will try and take some soon.

~Jenae
    3b, Medium Strands, Extremely High Density, Low Porosity, Around APL (curly)
    My Hair:

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

I can't really partake in this challenge, as I just chopped off my hair (actually it's the first time I'm seeing my pure clean natural hair since going CG). But I cut lots of it too short and want to see those grow quickly. I use FRW once/week and still notice a reduction in shedding overall. It's been 3 weeks since my too-short hairs cut, and I've seen reasonable growth in that time, so I may post progress from time to time, even if I trim the longer hairs (to try to get the lengths eventually closer together).

Lol, just realized this challenge is over soon! But I can post my haircut from 20 days ago, and now. The short hairs are noticeably longer!

3A/f/i
    naturecat wrote: »
    I can't really partake in this challenge, as I just chopped off my hair (actually it's the first time I'm seeing my pure clean natural hair since going CG). But I cut lots of it too short and want to see those grow quickly. I use FRW once/week and still notice a reduction in shedding overall. It's been 3 weeks since my too-short hairs cut, and I've seen reasonable growth in that time, so I may post progress from time to time, even if I trim the longer hairs (to try to get the lengths eventually closer together).

Lol, just realized this challenge is over soon! But I can post my haircut from 20 days ago, and now. The short hairs are noticeably longer!
    I don't mind at all! Feel free to do so! ;)

~Jenae
    3b, Medium Strands, Extremely High Density, Low Porosity, Around APL (curly)
    My Hair:

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

• sarahisarahi Posts: 55Registered Users
    Hi Everyone,

I realize I am joining this challenge very late in the year, and many of you are probably close to the finishing (6 month) mark. I am going to do my first fermented rice water treatment over the weekend, and I was wondering if anyone has seen any results from this challenge. Would love to hear how it's been going so far for everyone!
    3A/3B - Fine - Medium Density
    Porosity ~ Medium/High
    Shampoo-SMJBCO
    Cowash-As I Am Coconut Co-wash
    LOC: KCKT-Almond Oil-Devacurl Styling Cream-KCCC
    Hair length - APL
    Short term goal: BSL
    Long term goal:Waist Length
    sarahi wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I realize I am joining this challenge very late in the year, and many of you are probably close to the finishing (6 month) mark. I am going to do my first fermented rice water treatment over the weekend, and I was wondering if anyone has seen any results from this challenge. Would love to hear how it's been going so far for everyone!

I was just thinking about this thread a moment before! Here's my results: a photo right after my hair cut, and the 2nd one is from one month and 5 days later. I swear I see at least an inch of hair growth there, in just one month. My hair is curlier in the 2nd photo yet still appears longer despite this. I use rice water once/week overnight. In addition to fast growth I see far less hair shedding on average. And more moisture and elasticity.

What else I'm doing besides rice water for hair growth:
    I'm a vegetarian. I eat mostly raw foods and about no processed foods.
    I take Biosil
    B Vitamins
    Occasional Aloe Vera Juice (internally)

3A/f/i
  • sarahisarahi Posts: 55Registered Users
    Hi Everyone,

I was just thinking about this thread a moment before! Here's my results: a photo right after my hair cut, and the 2nd one is from one month and 5 days later. I swear I see at least an inch of hair growth there, in just one month. My hair is curlier in the 2nd photo yet still appears longer despite this. I use rice water once/week overnight. In addition to fast growth I see far less hair shedding on average. And more moisture and elasticity.

I take Biosil
    B Vitamins
    Wow, that's an awesome result. And your hair is so pretty! I love it! Can I ask at what stage of your hair washing routine do you use the fermented rice water? How do you use it over night?
    3A/3B - Fine - Medium Density
    Porosity ~ Medium/High
    Shampoo-SMJBCO
    Cowash-As I Am Coconut Co-wash
    LOC: KCKT-Almond Oil-Devacurl Styling Cream-KCCC
    Hair length - APL
    Short term goal: BSL
    Long term goal:Waist Length
    Wow, that's an awesome result. And your hair is so pretty! I love it! Can I ask at what stage of your hair washing routine do you use the fermented rice water? How do you use it over night?

Aw, thank you. I usually use it overnight nowadays. I used to use it without washing first, though lately I started washing my hair beforehand (just shampoo), then I dump the rice water over it (I collect the extra in a bowl to dump it over my hair and scalp several times over). I keep it covered for about an hour, then let it dry, go to sleep, wake up, and wash it out of my hair.

3A/f/i
    Hi Everyone,

I take Biosil
    B Vitamins

:compress: Nice results! Your hair definitely appears healthier to me.

I'm really busy right now, but coming with pics shortly.
    Thanks! WIll look forward to your pics too. Everyone's hair definitely looks healthier using FRW. :)

3A/f/i
    I have done quite a few things to set back my hair growth, stress and rough detangling took their tool. I did gain some length, but it broke off due to the things I mentioned above, so there isn't much change for six months ago.

I'm going to straighten my hair and cut it using the ponytail method. I need to get rid of the split ends I created in last few months.

Unfortunately, around the halfway point of the challenge, I became very busy and I didn't have the time to make more RW. So once I ran out of FRW leave in, I never replaced it. It made my hair smooth and moisturised, and reduced my shedding to a third of what it used to be.

Now I think I added pictures... I'm sick so I apologise for the nightgown.
    My Hair:

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Wow @naturecat! That's awesome! You're making me almost bold enough to do a big chop!
    My Hair:

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Hi all, popping in ...

So in my attachment you can see two pics, A is from February and B is from May, a full three months in between. I've trimmed my split ends twice in between, about an inch total. I can't say the rice water did anything for my hair in terms of growth, it looks like there's a little something there I think... or maybe it's just the time passed.

The quality of the two pics is diff (different phones) but I'm definitely telling you 100% that in pic B my hair is softer, shinier, less shedding, and easier to style. My skin also looks better because I was using the rice water as a toner too. In pic A, my hair was nice when I washed it, but it would become rough when dry, even with moisturizer, and I had to have styling product to do anything to my hair. In pic b, I did those twists on dry hair. Combining the rice water routine with the oiling method I was doing has made a significant difference in the handling of my hair. Also, I wouldn't do the rice water in the spray bottle again, because after a while the itching increased. I had also changed shampoo, to Trader Joe's Nourish Spa which gave my scalp flakes like crazy :angry7:

In the future, I can see doing a rice water rinse but not in a spray bottle, maybe just a full rinse once or twice a month, just because I like the shine and ease of handling. I will continue that oiling method with coconut oil though. I liked NatureCat's pics, her hair looks fuller overall to me and that's how my hair looks though I didn't take any front pics. Like you BeautyOG, paying attention to this challenge has shown me how stress affects hair growth. Because when you're stressed, you may end up caring less about certain things like hair, you rush to detangle and rip your ends, and your diet changes, and etc...

I do like how we actually stuck to something here. Now if I could only stick to my workouts like I did this... :tongue5:
    Aquarielle, I can definitely tell a difference in the two pics… more defined in the 2nd pic for sure! Yes, it does make the hair easier to handle for sure. I feel like it creates the look of health in the hair.

3A/f/i
    BeautyOG, just remember, with more rice water, you might be able to repair some of the damage. Though I love shorter hair (I just cut mine again a few days ago), I also cut some hairs wayyyy too short that I'm trying to grow out. Start slowly… but it is liberating to get rid of damage for sure. Just don't be like me and go overboard. ;)

3A/f/i
    @naturecat I cut my hair yesterday using the ponytail method. (About 2 or 3 inches I think) I really must give you some credit because I've always been afraid to cut my hair. You have seriously given me the courage to get it over with.
    And don't worry, I didn't cut too much off at once. ;) I cut it gradually.
    I still plan on using FRW, I just need to make a new batch. I might try leaving it in overnight like you do, and see what happens.
    I believe I will post more progress pictures on here, although not quite as religiously as before.
    My Hair:

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Oh yes, please do post progress pictures! Congrats on your self haircut too!

I felt like doing the rice water overnight on freshly washed hair every week gave me some buildup, so what I've done lately is not always wash my hair first before applying. But will still wash hair first sometimes (once/2 weeks or once/month), as no doubt that gives me more shine/benefit. I had cut my hair yet again for the sake of bringing those too short hairs closer to my length so looking forward to seeing if the FRW can help it grow fast again. :)

3A/f/i

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file