Super Picky Hair!

JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
My hair is so incredibly picky.

I have officially reached my one year curl-versary mark :occasion9: , and from the start (December of last year) to now, I have sampled SO many products. SO...very...many... :banghead: In the midst of all of this, I had a Deva cut in July, and found the Deva products. But I was turned off because of the price, and from so many people saying that it's only good as a starter product, but you eventually find something cheaper with similar results, and so on. But that never happened for me; my hair refuses/d to give me the ringlets I love unless I use(d) Deva!

I am baffled by how picky my hair is!

I have tried dozens of products, and not one made my curls happy aside from Deva. They all seemed to at first, until the week carried on and I realized I had an itchy scalp, or dry curls, or limp curls, or no curls! I think more than anything, as time went on, I went from trying to find my holy grail, to trying to prove myself wrong in that there had to be SOMETHING else that my hair would like. And every time I found myself to be mistaken. Does anyone else have something like this, where your hair just refuses to curl properly unless you use that product brand? :dontknow:

And I know the next thought would be that it might be an error in my technique, but with each product, I give them a month, and every week I would try a new application technique or method, and still no dice. I did find that when I used them the way I use my Deva products (apply everything to soaking wet hair in shower) my results were better, but still not comparable...
Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
•Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
•CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:

Comments

• machermacher Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur
    JunyJu wrote: »
    My hair is so incredibly picky.

I have officially reached my one year curl-versary mark :occasion9: , and from the start (December of last year) to now, I have sampled SO many products. SO...very...many... :banghead: In the midst of all of this, I had a Deva cut in July, and found the Deva products. But I was turned off because of the price, and from so many people saying that it's only good as a starter product, but you eventually find something cheaper with similar results, and so on. But that never happened for me; my hair refuses/d to give me the ringlets I love unless I use(d) Deva!

I am baffled by how picky my hair is!

I have tried dozens of products, and not one made my curls happy aside from Deva. They all seemed to at first, until the week carried on and I realized I had an itchy scalp, or dry curls, or limp curls, or no curls! I think more than anything, as time went on, I went from trying to find my holy grail, to trying to prove myself wrong in that there had to be SOMETHING else that my hair would like. And every time I found myself to be mistaken. Does anyone else have something like this, where your hair just refuses to curl properly unless you use that product brand? :dontknow:

And I know the next thought would be that it might be an error in my technique, but with each product, I give them a month, and every week I would try a new application technique or method, and still no dice. I did find that when I used them the way I use my Deva products (apply everything to soaking wet hair in shower) my results were better, but still not comparable...

I used to think that way with Deva products. I'm convinced that Deva products the way they recommend to apply are NOT good for wavy's. Your type of hair is definitely a curly.
  • eche428eche428 Registered Users Posts: 2,782 Curl Connoisseur
    I did the same thing you've done - tried EVERYTHING under the sun. My HG and now really only products that work for me are by Curl Junkie. Her products are the only ones that give me consistent and really good hair. I hate that I can only get them online but my hair wants what it wants. No choice, Curl Junkie, period. So I'm stuck with it and heaven forbid she ever sells up or retires!!!
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,357 Curl Connoisseur
    +2 on curl junkie.
    each and every time i've tried a different product that everyone is raving about, it's ok day one, then terrible. curl junkie is the only line that gives me not only good, but great results and consistently. nothing i've tried, drugstore brands, professional brands, you name it, comes even close. if marsha ever goes out of business i'll probably just have to shave my head, LOL!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I figure that if you find a product that your hair loves, it is money well spent, because you're not spending money searching for alternatives that just don't work. And if your hair looks great, you feel better about yourself (at least I do!), so there's a nice emotional payoff too. It would be great to have easy-to-care-for hair that can use just about anything, but let's face it--some of us are not blessed with that!
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
    Exactly!

It's good to hear that I'm not alone in this (though I'd probably be more shocked to hear that I am!).

Reading this all is so funny to me, because I remember when I first joined the site I kept thinking 'why is everyone talking about their hair like it's a person'? And now I'M doing it all the time :laughing9: I also find it funny how long it took me to realize that I'd found my HG. It was literally such a dramatic transformation the day I used Deva that my mom thought I'd gone in for another cut or something. Hair just likes what it likes!
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
    •Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
    •CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Curl Connoisseur
    I try new things because I get this random itch/misconception that I need to or just kind of because I wonder what it would do for me. Curl Junkie, Shea Moisture, and Kinky Curly are my holy trinity. CJ is pricey,but has a lot of vegan options that I love. SM is great for my broke college budget and also has great ingredients. I adore KCKT and KCCC.

I love to have certain products like conditioner on hand, and oils! For example, SM bogos are when I stock up on moisturizing stuff in case my CJ runs out throughout the year. I remember using Yes To Carrots conditioner in the past and liking it so I grabbed some of that when it was on sale a few weeks ago.

I'm experimenting with Curl Keeper soon and the new CJPP formula. I just got a haircut and my stylist used the Decadence line followed by supercream and light defining gel. What do you know? My hair looks awesome in comparison to how it feels with other deva products. I think my hair likes to be on a rotation with things honestly. Sometimes, I like glycerin and sometimes I dont. Sometimes, I want something light and simple. Other times, I like to use a leave in, oil, and a gel. I air dry and sometimes I use a diffuser. These are all different factors, but at the end of the day it's fun to take care of my hair because I know my hair now. Early 2007, I would just Garnier Sleek and Shine followed by mousse and call it a day. I think if you know Deva works for you then stick to Deva. Everyone is different.

When it comes to people on here talking about their hair like a person-girl, I've been referring to my hair as "the beast" for a while now lol. Beast hates this and despises that haha. I just know glycerin makes him hiss and so does excessive amounts of protein. I can get away with it here and there though haha.

I've been a shameless pj for years and I'm going to own it for sure. You could say I'm a well organized pj, but a pj nonetheless lol. I think your hair looks amazing JunyJu. You're definitely doing something right. You should look into Deva sets and sales during the holidays. I remember when you first came on here and loved the Deva care line, but would struggle finding other things. Is there particular lines you prefer now or just Deva as a whole?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • bookgrdngirlbookgrdngirl Registered Users Posts: 403 Curl Neophyte
    I think our hair may be soul sisters! ;)

I've also come to acceptance that my hair is picky! I've also started following ingredients and brands that my hair likes versus what I want it to like! I realized that Ouidad and DevaCurl don't work for me.... and it's perfectly okay!

I think it's a huge relief when you accept that certain brands work amazing and others don't. I'm so happy that DevaCurl is working for you! I've also come to believe in the saying: "If it works than don't change it," when it comes to hair-care. I kept constantly changing products and getting kooky results because of it. Sure, I'm still trying new products... but I'm way more careful with ingredients and brand conscious. I think certain brands just work amazing for some people. :)

I did really like SuperCream and UDG, but the protein in it wasn't ultimately my friend. When I came to terms with it, I tried new amazing products that worked great for me! I'm a product junkie, but I'm definitely a more self-aware product junkie. :icescream:
    Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
    • Giovanni: Avocado and Olive Oil (RO), Tea Tree Sham & Con (CW/RO)
    • KC: KT, CC, CC
    • CR: CM, GR, AWB, Balm
    • CJ: DF, CIAB, SL, CR
    • CURLS: Souffle
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file