Help me out comparing SM shampoos?

So I need someone who has used more than one kind of SM shampoo to give me some insight. I want to know how they compare in terms of cleansing. The only one I have used is the one in the coral bottle, called Curl & Shine. If someone could compare that to others in the line in terms of how cleansing they are that would be fantastic. I'm in the market for a new SM shampoo! I am interested in using the Black Soap one, but has it been very drying in your experiences? Thanks!
2c/3a, botticelli/s'wavy, thick hair :queen:
Devacuts 3.5.14, 7.16.15
CG 9.11.14, on & off for years before
:sunny:
GOD really loves you. ∞
HGs: SM Shampoo, SM conditioners (RO), LA Looks Sport gel
*I love scalp scrubs, bangs, clipping roots, and diffusing!*
I wash my hair 1-2 times a week, usually 1
:cat:

Comments

• MyrnaMyrna Registered Users Posts: 2,472 Curl Connoisseur
    I have used the Moisture Retention(Yellow label); Coconut Hibiscus ( coral label, the one you have;) and I have fruit fusion and 10 in 1. My personal fave is 10 in 1 although I could not say why, nor do I know the differences between all of them except the fruit fusion has coco betaine.
  • ginabean98ginabean98 Registered Users Posts: 197
    Myrna wrote: »
    I have used the Moisture Retention(Yellow label); Coconut Hibiscus ( coral label, the one you have;) and I have fruit fusion and 10 in 1. My personal fave is 10 in 1 although I could not say why, nor do I know the differences between all of them except the fruit fusion has coco betaine.

Are they all pretty similar?
    Devacuts 3.5.14, 7.16.15
    GOD really loves you. ∞
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Curl Connoisseur
    ginabean98 wrote: »
    So I need someone who has used more than one kind of SM shampoo to give me some insight. I want to know how they compare in terms of cleansing. The only one I have used is the one in the coral bottle, called Curl & Shine. If someone could compare that to others in the line in terms of how cleansing they are that would be fantastic. I'm in the market for a new SM shampoo! I am interested in using the Black Soap one, but has it been very drying in your experiences? Thanks!

Hiya ginabean, I think I can totally help you with this because I've used many Shea Moisture shampoos. I think the Moisture Retention one is the most moisturizing and gentle out of them all. The Curl and Shine would be next because it is a bit stronger. The 10 in 1 is also comparable, but more cleansing. I want to try the Fruit Fusion one because I have heard it has Coco Betaine, it looks a lot more liquidy unlike the others. The African Black Soap line seems to be the one used for being most cleansing.

I think Yucca Baobab would fall between the Curl and Shine and the 10 in 1. I'm not sure about the African Black Soap Tahitian Noni line, Zanizibar, Yucca Plantain (the new formula that Yucca Baobab was switched to), Salon Professionals Line, or the Kids ones etc. as I haven't tried those.

I have always gone back to the Moisture Retention one because it is so moisturizing and light. Shampoos usually leave my hair dry and wiry before I put conditoner on-which to be fair is likely what shampoos do? I mean they are supposed to clean right? I have used it for years and am on my third or fourth bottle now. I thought Curl and Shine was great and the best of both worlds when I wasn't vegan (now, I don't use that line also cause I'm protein sensitive-I miss the hell out of those coconuts though). Anyway, I think it depends on what you need this shampoo for. I always use CG stuff with basically no buildup unless it's Shea Butter at most from other Shea Moisture etc. so the Moisture Retention one has been just fine. I've recently bought some hair products with polyquats and some lovely build up ingredients to try out because I am going to be a bad girl about playing it safe with my usual natural good stuff in terms of products. So, now I want something a bit more clarifying in my rotation to remove that when needed. I have the Curl Junkie daily fix for example and that product has coco betaine. This way, I rotate it and don't have an issue. I'm mentioning this because I think it will really help you decide what you need in a shampoo. I think, I need a clarifying shampoo later if I want to rotate it when I run out of Daily Fix etc. However, when I use my regular products without tons of crazy styles, I can get away with my Moisture Retention as I have been all these years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • ginabean98ginabean98 Registered Users Posts: 197
    ginabean98 wrote: »

Hiya ginabean, I think I can totally help you with this because I've used many Shea Moisture shampoos. I think the Moisture Retention one is the most moisturizing and gentle out of them all. The Curl and Shine would be next because it is a bit stronger. The 10 in 1 is also comparable, but more cleansing. I want to try the Fruit Fusion one because I have heard it has Coco Betaine, it looks a lot more liquidy unlike the others. The African Black Soap line seems to be the one used for being most cleansing.

I think Yucca Baobab would fall between the Curl and Shine and the 10 in 1. I'm not sure about the African Black Soap Tahitian Noni line, Zanizibar, Yucca Plantain (the new formula that Yucca Baobab was switched to), Salon Professionals Line, or the Kids ones etc. as I haven't tried those.

I have always gone back to the Moisture Retention one because it is so moisturizing and light. Shampoos usually leave my hair dry and wiry before I put conditoner on-which to be fair is likely what shampoos do? I mean they are supposed to clean right? I have used it for years and am on my third or fourth bottle now. I thought Curl and Shine was great and the best of both worlds when I wasn't vegan (now, I don't use that line also cause I'm protein sensitive-I miss the hell out of those coconuts though). Anyway, I think it depends on what you need this shampoo for. I always use CG stuff with basically no buildup unless it's Shea Butter at most from other Shea Moisture etc. so the Moisture Retention one has been just fine. I've recently bought some hair products with polyquats and some lovely build up ingredients to try out because I am going to be a bad girl about playing it safe with my usual natural good stuff in terms of products. So, now I want something a bit more clarifying in my rotation to remove that when needed. I have the Curl Junkie daily fix for example and that product has coco betaine. This way, I rotate it and don't have an issue. I'm mentioning this because I think it will really help you decide what you need in a shampoo. I think, I need a clarifying shampoo later if I want to rotate it when I run out of Daily Fix etc. However, when I use my regular products without tons of crazy styles, I can get away with my Moisture Retention as I have been all these years.

Hi bringingcurliesback, thank you so much for the response! So very helpful. Have you personally used the black soap one yet?
    Devacuts 3.5.14, 7.16.15
    GOD really loves you. ∞
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Curl Connoisseur
    You're totally welcome! No, I have not tried it personally. I think CurlyPenny raved about it on YouTube though. If you do end up getting that one, some stores might keep it next to the dandruff/medicated shampoos instead of by the rest of Shea Moisture products (I've noticed this a few times at Walgreens and CVS).

*Current Routine*

• GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Registered Users Posts: 312 Curl Connoisseur
    I'd also like to throw out that the Raw Shea Butter Shampoo has a single gentle cleansing ingredient. The ingredients list as a whole is super short as well. The other shea moisture shampoos have additional cleansing ingredients and a lot longer ingredients lists. There are some others that are similar to the shea butter one: Black Soap and Yucca. I may have missed some.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
    I really like how it has a shorter list of ingredients and is so gentle. It's the best and worst thing about it in a way. I'm glad we have it as an option though. I hope they never take away the original line. Which one(s) do you use and prefer Glamourstruckk?

*Current Routine*

• bookgrdngirlbookgrdngirl Registered Users Posts: 403 Curl Neophyte
    I've used two SM shampoos so far; the one that you're currently using and the Dandruff shampoo. I was having really severe scalp issues for awhile.

On top of that major issue that I was experiencing, I do have extremely dry hair. I watch my hair when it comes to drying out. I didn't find it extremely stripping for my hair. My hair feels stripped very easily. That's why I have been watching my hair with my Giovanni's 'Tea Tree' shampoo (which is clarifying) because it's easy for my hair to get stripped and to not retain moisture easily.

The SM shampoo did make my scalp feel cleansed and removed any dandruff residue. I think this one may work for some people as a cleansing shampoo... but I don't think this would be worth it (money wise) unless you do have scalp issues. To me, it was a gentler version of Head and Shoulders. I haven't used it in a long time, but I still have a brand new bottle underneath my sink (in case I would ever need it again for some reason).

I plan on trying the new Low Porosity shampoo! I would be curious in trying the new Frizz Defense shampoo (the line that hasn't launched yet) if it's protein free.
    Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
    • Giovanni: Avocado and Olive Oil (RO), Tea Tree Sham & Con (CW/RO)
    • KC: KT, CC, CC
    • CR: CM, GR, AWB, Balm
    • CJ: DF, CIAB, SL, CR
    • CURLS: Souffle
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
  • GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Registered Users Posts: 312 Curl Connoisseur
    I really like how it has a shorter list of ingredients and is so gentle. It's the best and worst thing about it in a way. I'm glad we have it as an option though. I hope they never take away the original line. Which one(s) do you use and prefer Glamourstruckk?

I'm currently using Renpure Argan Oil but the Raw Shea Butter was the only one I really liked. I did NOT like the coconut and hibiscus and have not tried their newer lines--weightless, 10-in-one, etc.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file