Tell me if this is a bad idea... ASAP

Okay so I have 2c/3a hair. I've gotten 2 Deva Cuts but haven't noticed any sort of drastic difference between a normal, wet cut and a Deva Cut. I'm broke and don't have any money to spare for even an inexpensive haircut. I probably straighten my hair once a year, if that, and right now my hair is straight. My layers are very easily distinguishable when straight- I could easily grab the top layer and cut an inch or so, then the second layer an inch, then the bottom an inch, like that. I wouldn't be dramatically re-shaping, just trimming the existing shape/ layers. Is cutting my hair when straight a horrible idea?
2c/3a, botticelli/s'wavy, thick hair :queen:
Devacuts 3.5.14, 7.16.15
CG 9.11.14, on & off for years before
:sunny:
GOD really loves you. ∞
HGs: SM Shampoo, SM conditioners (RO), LA Looks Sport gel
*I love scalp scrubs, bangs, clipping roots, and diffusing!*
I wash my hair 1-2 times a week, usually 1
:cat:

Comments

• StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    I don't think I'd be brave enough, it seems to me that you may end up with layers that are too blunt and may not sit right when curly.
    3b in South Australia.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    Horrible idea. Cutting straight doesn't account for shrinkage, especially since you wear your hair curly most of the time.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • CurlySiaCurlySia Registered Users Posts: 164
    I only trim my own hair, never cut. The times I have cut it I've had to go in to have it fixed or style it differently until it's grown out.
    4a / 3c fine texture, low and normal porosity
    washing/cowashing, conditioning: devacurl decadence one condition, hair rules quench, as i am coconut cowash, curl junkie daily fix, curl rehab
    leave in: curl junkie smoothing lotion, hawaiian silky 14 in 1, hair rules quench, as i am, camille rose fresh curl
    styling: hair rules curly whip, camille rose curl maker
    sealants: oil rinse with Africa's Best Herbal Oil, Soultanicals Knot Dressing, bekura palm tapioca or jane carter nourish & shine
  • MyrnaMyrna Registered Users Posts: 2,472 Curl Connoisseur
    I have had my hair cut dry, Deva style, and wet. The wet cut is perfectly fine.
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Curl Connoisseur
    I think you can cut your own hair. I've done if numerous times over the years. I can send you video links as well. There are not many sources online for curly hair, but there are definitely some.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Registered Users Posts: 334 Curl Neophyte
    I always cut my own hair, usually wet, and I do that thing where you leave a portion at the nape of your neck- out, so it won't be too sparse. Then I take the rest of it, bring all of it up and forward, that creates all the layers. And I very carefully, cut all of the hair evenly. I've also cut it like that, but holding the hair straight up, creating less dramatic layering. As long as you are super careful it works great. I suggest looking at YouTube videos, that's how I learned.

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file