Winter hats - yet again!

curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
What are your best choices for warm (repeat WARM) winter hats that don't squash your curls? Does such an animal exist (with apologies to Claudine and crew). Even if I just put my hood up on my down coat my curls flatten and look really crappy.

I'm sure there are posts about this but when I do a search I don't find exactly what I want.

If I get a hat loose enough not to squash my curls it doesn't keep me warm. What do you do? What are your experiences with winter hats.

I have 2C hair which struggles to be 3A in places so my curl pattern isn't the strongest. Winter isn't kind to my curls.
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Registered Users Posts: 312 Curl Connoisseur
    Maybe SLAPs might be an option? If they're a bit pricey (though they do go on sale) Breezy Tee also sales lined caps to keep your curls from being frizzed out and smooshed. They're not significantly cheaper but they're there! lol.
    SLAPS- Shop Slap's – Satin-Lined Caps
    Breezy Tee- Archives | Breezy Tee

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Glamourstruckk, thanks! That's very interesting. Do you own one of the SLAPS and does it keep you warm? Also, does it say SLAP on the front - I can't tell from the picture.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Registered Users Posts: 312 Curl Connoisseur
    No problem. I don't own a SLAP--no need in Florida. The reviews for them are all over YouTube though. When we lived in Delaware, I resorted to tying my hair with a scarf, then placing a beanie over it.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
  • bookgrdngirlbookgrdngirl Registered Users Posts: 403 Curl Neophyte
    I own a SLAP! :)

It's not the warmest... but I do really like it. I use it when my hair is damp a lot. When I refresh my hair: I use a spray bottle and my hair is very low porosity, so it doesn't dry immediately. I usually put my SLAP on afterwards that.

I also use my SLAP for braids because my braids stay damp/wet for about 3-4 days usually. It's great because it does really protect my hair with the satin lining, cut down on frizz, and isn't tight on my head (I have a big head and A LOT of hair). Why I like the SLAP is that it has an elastic hat edging. It stays on my hair even when my hair 'expands' during the drying time.

I cannot wear my hair up with it. It looks freakishly bizarre like an egg! The SLAPs are expensive, which I think is a con for most people, especially if your budget is for specifically 'warm' hats. I originally thought it was going to be a lot heavier. I didn't realize it was so thin. :(

I got mine on sale on Cyber Monday and paid $23 with shipping -- I think? Like I said, I don't think it's the best buy for a winter hat if you're looking for a warmer hat. I see it as a year round hat because it's very light. It doesn't help me with warmth. :cry: It does shield my scalp from being frozen by getting hit with the extremely cold hair -- but I would never pick it up first if it's really cold outside. It's just not warming enough for that.

The SLAP material is like a thin jersey cotton.

My favorite warm hat is one that I got recently for Christmas. It's a heavy beanie that's line with faux fur! The trick that I've found to warm winter hats is to buy ones with faux fur liners! The faux fur is a lot gentler to our hair! It also keeps the warmth.

There's also this Youtube video where it shows you how to line your winter hats with satin. You can buy a yard for $4.99-5.99 at most craft stores. I'm going to give this a go with some of my older winter hats! I crochet/knit and look for softer knits to not irritate my hair as much. Another good alternative are heavy lined winter headbands. They don't usually cause frizz... but also give you warmth while looking cute!
    Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
    • Giovanni: Avocado and Olive Oil (RO), Tea Tree Sham & Con (CW/RO)
    • KC: KT, CC, CC
    • CR: CM, GR, AWB, Balm
    • CJ: DF, CIAB, SL, CR
    • CURLS: Souffle
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Registered Users Posts: 477
    I have a satin lined hat from Caheez, which I really like. Adding a few octopus clips at my crown, if I'm going to be wearing the hat for a while, helps a little with the hat head (I naturally flat on top, this lessens the effect a little bit). The knits are nice and thick, and pretty warm (I live in the upper midwest!). I'm thinking of a second one, I really like hats. I also look really stupid in hats. But it gets too cold here not to have them.

She makes them by hand and runs about 4-6 weeks out, probably not the most immediate thing you can get right now, But think on it for next year at least!

My curls are a little fragile, so they get a little squashed no matter what I do - I just kind of live with it in the winter. On the weekends all bets are off and I just live in a hat LOL. I'm outside as much as I can be and have embraced the fleece beanie as a fashion statement. I also tend to cut my waves shorter in winter and rock a loose wavy look.
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file