What's a movie you liked that others didn't?

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,226Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I liked Lars and the Real Girl but my sister-in-law and a friend hated it.

Any curlies saw that one? What movie that you liked provoked negative reactions from others?
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• Jessica.WileJessica.Wile Posts: 74Registered Users
    "Your Highness". So dumb, yet so funny (to me).
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,226Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I never heard of that one. If it comes on one of the repeat tv stations, I'll watch. Thanks for your input!
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have one I didn't like that others loved - Forrest Gump

It did nothing for me, and I still don't know why anyone liked it.

**I will say that the summer it came out was an odd time in my life and I disliked all films I watched that summer, so I understand that it could be simply where my head was at the time

~ sent with love and good intentions ~
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
    And one that is actually what this thread asked: Jumpin Jack Flash

This movie makes me cry every time I see it. Nearly everyone I know thinks it's ridiculous.

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I can't think of any, but going the opposite way like Perri, I didn't like The Notebook but other people seem to think it was wonderful.
    I liked Lars and the Real Girl, odd as it was, I actually don't know anyone else who's seen it!
    3b in South Australia.
    I've actually never seen Forest Gump, The Notebook or Jumping Jack Flash. I'm surprised because I watch a lot of movies.

Starmie, I'm pleased that you liked L & The Real Girl. I was beginning to think I was the only one, and I'm odd enough without extra proof of that :laughing4:
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    You need to see Forest Gump Curlypearl! I think you would be charmed by it.

For me...Titanic. My mom likes it too (and she's not usually one for love stories being a major part of the plot). In 2012 we saw the 100 year Anniversary 3D digitally remastered release of the film together. A teenage girl behind me exclaimed "lame!" when I voiced "two for Titanic, please." It was rude, offensive and pretty amusing at the same time.
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
    OK Sew & Sew. I'll get to see it and I'll let you know what I think. Thanks for the recommendation :thumright:
  • CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    "A View From the Top" and "Soul Plane" come to mind.

I liked "Lars and the Real Girl" too. This inspired me to watch that movie, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqUhuXzHnYY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjJtmcJM-Rw
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

Whoops. I posted that I liked View From the Top but then realized it wasn't the movie I thought it was (I was thinking of A Long Way Down)

• LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,772Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    "Mama Mia". I love this movie, but I guess I'm the only one. I played it for Jim, since he likes musicals. He hated it. Mainly becuz he doesn't like Meryl Streep. When he would misbehave I would threaten to make him watch this movie.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    I loved it!
    Also, jim has bad taste and bad manners.
    (Based on how poorly he treated you)

• claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I hate most popular movies, and have never seen some that have become cultural icons: Titanic, Star Wars, Avatar, etc. Then I start to wonder what the fuss is about so I watch something popular and can't believe it was a hit: Dumb & Dumber.

Lately everyone here likes Mr. Holmes but me.
  • TRBLTRBL Posts: 5,294Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Perri - I'm with you on Forrest Gump, I didn't like it.. was pretty meh about Castaway as well

Movie I like - Harold & Maude, I don't know if others hate it.. just don't know of many that have seen it.
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    De-spise Forrest Gump with every fiber of my being.
    Titanic, even though it's a "crowd pleasing sappy" film, I cry anyway.
    Didn't want to like the Notebook but did and fell in love with whatshisname. (But liked him better in Crazy, Stupid, Love)
    Slightly OT: I never saw Crazy Stupid Love, but since all my loves have been crazy and stupid I figure I know the plot.
    Here's one: a guy I dated had a pretty interesting mom, who bought "The Last King of Scotland" because she liked it so much.
  • DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Harold and Maude is a cult classic. Love it.

I thought Lars and the Real Girl was alright. To be honest, I don't remember it in much detail.

I liked Excess Bagage, which seemed only to get bad reviews. But to be honest, I think I had a crush on Benicio's character. :tongue5:

I also struggle to understand why Avatar was sucessful and I can't stand comedies like There's Something About Mary and the like.

Hollywood movies have been leaving me cold. I seem to gravitate more to TV shows, which is sad, because I love movies. I studied film in college, but movies these days lack good story-telling and character development.
    Yes, they do!^ TV has vastly improved, while film has declined.
  • curlysophiecurlysophie Posts: 216Registered Users
    My mom forced me to watch "Monty Python & the Holy Grail" a couple years ago and I hated it. I don't see why people think graphic deaths are funny. It was disgusting. XD
    :love2: Curly Teen :love2:
    CG since 5/2/14
    3A, low/medium porosity, medium texture/thickness
    ~SheaMoisture Shampoos
    ~Suave Essentials Conditioners
    ~Kinky Curly Knot Today
    ~L.A. Looks Sport Gel
    Dedachan, I've never even been able to sit through the entire Avatar. I went to see it in the theatre, got sick to my stomach from too much 3D or whatever that was, and was bored to death by it when I tried to watch it on tv.

I also adore Gigi. Friends complain it is sexist; it sort of is in a hilarious way and I absolutely don't care in this case. Leslie Caron MWAH! (that's a fat kiss - I adore her).
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Ishtar. I thought it was extremely funny.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Pay It Forward
    Poetic Justice
    War Room

• multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I saw Lars and the Real Girl and I liked it. I can't remember the plot any longer, I just remember the doll. Lol. I think many people like Titanic, but are too embarrassed to admit it. A movie doesn't make that much money if no one watched it. I cried the first time I saw it at 16.

I hated The Notebook. I usually enjoy Nicholas Sparks' novels, but I found the lead female character whiny and annoying and their love story bored me. Ryan Gosling is hot in Crazy, Stupid, Love and I think people can see themselves in Steve Carrell's character.

I also thought Shakespeare in Love wasn't as great as the hype. It was good - not great. @Spiderlashes I never knew anyone liked Poetic Justice. It was one of the worst movies I've seen. Janet Jackson is a horrible actress. I also could never get into Pulp Fiction. I'm trying to watch Rocky but the first 20 minutes is him just walking around. Why?!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I saw Lars and the Real Girl and I liked it. I can't remember the plot any longer, I just remember the doll. Lol. I think many people like Titanic, but are too embarrassed to admit it. A movie doesn't make that much money if no one watched it. I cried the first time I saw it at 16.

I hated The Notebook. I usually enjoy Nicholas Sparks' novels, but I found the lead female character whiny and annoying and their love story bored me. Ryan Gosling is hot in Crazy, Stupid, Love and I think people can see themselves in Steve Carrell's character.

I also thought Shakespeare in Love wasn't as great as the hype. It was good - not great. @Spiderlashes I never knew anyone liked Poetic Justice. It was one of the worst movies I've seen. Janet Jackson is a horrible actress. I also could never get into Pulp Fiction. I'm trying to watch Rocky but the first 20 minutes is him just walking around. Why?!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App

Poetic Justice was my favorite movie for about 10 yrs! (But I admit I prbly wouldn't have liked it as much if Janet and Tupac weren't in it.) I also love Pulp Fiction...but love Jackie Brown (also by Quentin Tarantino) even more. :love7:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file