Question about edges

AfromuffinAfromuffin Posts: 158Registered Users
I know someone who's been dealing with breakage and dry hair. She's has edges damage from weaves and relaxers. they're slowly growing back though.
Would shaving the hair help with anything?
I think it would make it easier to get to her scalp and cutting off the damage hair may make room for healthier hair.

Comments

• Jessica.WileJessica.Wile Posts: 74Registered Users
    As far as growth? Shaving the area likely won't make it grow faster, but stopping any and all processing will.

Sent from my SM-G928V using CurlTalk App
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I second shaving will not help. It seems that the weaves are causing the breakage so that would need to be stopped. She should also not use chemicals or flat irons, curling irons or blowdryer to straighten the hair. Baby the hair. I would suggest she does the Curly Girl routine and avoid sulfate and silicones. Some women have had good results with oils and essential oils: castor, apricot kernel, grapeseed, olive, rosemary. I would also suggest a hair vitamin and improving diet.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • AfromuffinAfromuffin Posts: 158Registered Users
    So she hasn't used a relaxer since 2011.
    By weave I meant wigs, but she hasn't worn them in a while.
    She used to wear wigs a bit but now she just twists her hair and wears a scarf over it.
    I suggested shaving or cutting it since she has a lot of breakage. I believe she's high porosity with fine strands and low density, and hasn't been to a professional since she last cut it off.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    A wig is a lot different than a weave. I don't understand how a wig could cause breakage, unless it's drying out her hair or rubbing against her hairline. Since her hair is fine, protein treatments followed by moisture would be best.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file