NEW deva towel

rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,357 Curl Connoisseur
has anyone purchased and tried the new deva towel? it is larger than the other deva towel, this one is 20" x 39". it seems to only be for sale on the devacurl website right now.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: curl junkie 
sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Comments

• CurlsnswirlsCurlsnswirls Registered Users Posts: 865 Curl Neophyte
    Me! :hello2:

It's quite bigger than the original towel. I LOVE IT!!
    It's so soft and plush :love7:

I can wrap my hair in it like a regular sized towel. I will try and post a photo tomorrow of both my towels to compare sizes. I'm so glad they made a bigger towel. I will still use the smaller one but not as much as the new one. I'm considering buying a second one .:thumright::thumright:
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,357 Curl Connoisseur
    hanks! it looked great in the email they sent me, and on their website. but before i purchase....
    currently i am using the old curl ease towels which are great to combat frizz but they are so thin i really need two of them to blot my hair. so i am looking around for a new towel. hmmmmm..... i think they are still having free shipping so i might indulge. or i might wait and see if it ever goes onto aveyou.com.
    can you compare it to any other curl towels?

It's thicker than the original deva towel and the curls-like-us for sure. The only other larger towel I have is the earth therapeutics towel made with Angel-Tex fabric (great towel too. Just ordered the turbans to try out).
    I had purchased a large micro fiber towel in the automotive section a while back and the Deva towel is WAY better than that one.

Let me see if I can post a photo...

ETA: the new towel is almost twice as thick as the old one. My old one tends to get static-y, not the new one. I ordered a second one because I like it so much.

Let's see if the photos will work.

23ssok7.jpg

With curls-like-us towel for comparison
    mv5cpd.jpg
    Hopefully the pictures worked. ^

I just have to say that I feel like They really hit it out of the park with this new towel. :thumright::thumright:

The older towel is small because I believe it was just intended for scrunching. The new one is definitely larger and can be used for scrunching and wrapping the hair. My hair is quite long and the ends of my hair (maybe a few inches) hang out from the bottom when wrapping my hair like a regular towel. This is no big deal for me as the towel feels so wonderful and holds the majority of my hair. I also plopped with it and my hair turned out great (NO FRIZZ). It is very absorbent. I can't get over how much I love this towel already. :)
    you are making it hard for me to resist and wait on this. i hate spending the $20, would be ok if it were say $15.
    however, if this will help me spend less time on my hair on wash days, then it pays for itself. my hair is short, between chin and shoulder length, and i like to plop for a few minutes as i finish drying, moisturizing. i guess deva really did listen to the complaints about the old one, too small, which is why i never purchased it. it's been several years since i bought a curl towel, so i am already rationalizing this, LOL!
    i feel myself weakening and will most likely order it today.
    thanks!

My pleasure :).

Please do update when/if you purchase one. Anxious to see what others think and if they love it as much as I do.

I did order a second one for myself. If aveyou ever carries them I will order a couple as gifts.
    Shipment was quick even with the holidays! I just received my second towel...:wav::

:love4::love4:
    i ordered my new deva towel last thurs, got it tues and used it today. love it! i dried my hair more than usual with a towel and it did not frizz at all. love plopping with it, it is so plush, feels like a spa. of course,it's only the first time i've used it, but i think you are right and this is unique. i'll continue to use it and if aveyou ever carries it i will buy a 2nd.

rbb wrote: »
    i ordered my new deva towel last thurs, got it tues and used it today. love it! i dried my hair more than usual with a towel and it did not frizz at all. love plopping with it, it is so plush, feels like a spa. of course,it's only the first time i've used it, but i think you are right and this is unique. i'll continue to use it and if aveyou ever carries it i will buy a 2nd.

Yay! Thank you for the update. I knew you'd like it ;).
    It is definitely plush and spa like. I've been using it straight out of the shower and plopping with fantastic results. I'm so glad I have two. :thumright:
  • bookgrdngirlbookgrdngirl Registered Users Posts: 403 Curl Neophyte
    I can't afford the new DevaCurl towel at the moment... but I know I definitely want to invest in something like this.

I had the original one and it was utterly useless for me. I'm still upset that I spent $12 on it. :angry7: I think my mother actually turned it into a cleaning towel instead! I found tee-shirts to work much better for me. I have high density and long hair (it's about 21 inches long) so the Deva towel never did much.

I'm debating between this and the Curly Tee Towel! The plushness of this may win for me though. :)
    Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
    • Giovanni: Avocado and Olive Oil (RO), Tea Tree Sham & Con (CW/RO)
    • KC: KT, CC, CC
    • CR: CM, GR, AWB, Balm
    • CJ: DF, CIAB, SL, CR
    • CURLS: Souffle
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    i've used this towel several times in the past 1 1/2 weeks and i continue to love it. what i especially like about it is that i can really blot quite a lot of moisture from my hair and it does not frizz. normally, if i did that with my other curl towels to that degree i would end up with some frizz. and i don't lose curl definition either. so this means less drying time. :-)
    if and when it comes on aveyou i will most likely buy a 2nd one.

i've used this towel several times in the past 1 1/2 weeks and i continue to love it. what i especially like about it is that i can really blot quite a lot of moisture from my hair and it does not frizz. normally, if i did that with my other curl towels to that degree i would end up with some frizz. and i don't lose curl definition either. so this means less drying time. :-)
    if and when it comes on aveyou i will most likely buy a 2nd one.

:thumright: still loving mine too!
    Rbb and Curlsnswirls: you two have convinced me to pick one up when I have some money! :angel9: I know having a towel that actually can help me with drying time (without adding frizz) would be a blessing and a half!

I'll let you two how I like it when I get it!! I should hopefully be an owner by it the beginning of February! ;)
    Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
  • SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    How are you ladies washing the new Deva towel?

I have Aquis towels, and I have committed the cardinal sin for years -- I wash them and dry them with my other/bath towels and use a dryer sheet in the dryer. I know this supposedly cuts down on absorbency, but I haven't been inconvenienced by my habit at all.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
    aquis towel was the first curly towel i bought many years ago. i never use it anymore as compared to my curl ease and now the new deva towel, it falls far below.
    i, too, wash my curly towels with fabric softener. not going to wash them separately and i always use fabric softener. i don't put them in the dryer, i let them air dry. they seem to be very absorbent, so.....

i continue to love the new deva towel, it really does the job drying and no frizz. haven't used my old curl ease towel once since i got the deva towel.

Aveyou now carries the NEW deva towel :angel9:.
    Guess what ladies?

Today I ordered the Deva Towel!! I can't wait to try it! After almost a year on the curly train, I decided to give plopping a try the other night to see how my hair would respond. My hair responded really well! I can't wait to plop with it! I should hopefully get it by Wednesday. :occasion9:
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    i am sure you will love it, in my opinion deva nailed it with this. altho while i can and do plop, i just wish it were a little bit bigger, say an inch all around, as i have to clip the towel to make sure it stays on my head as it is just big enough.
    i did buy a 2nd towel for convenience and to guarantee i always have one, it's that good.
    let us know what you think.

bumping this thread --

so i've been using my deva towels for 2+yrs and loving how my hair dries with them, no frizz and i can dry my hair to a greater degree.

However, there is a problem and i am wondering if anyone else has this?

they smell.

yup. i always air dry and i tried drying them even outside in the sun and they still smell. none of my other towels smell, linen closet is fresh..... i dont' let them sit around wet, usually wash them the day i use them, then air dry. i've even tried misting them with a lavendar mist, but still..... if my hair didn't love them i'd have tossed them. (and no, thankfully, my hair does not pick up that smell.)

any ideas?

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    My go to for similar problems is vinegar. What does it smell like (musty, producty)?

I wonder if they need to be clarified :compress: !

I would also contact Deva for ideas.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • WavycatWavycat Registered Users Posts: 325 Curl Connoisseur
    I am one that never uses softeners on my towels. I agree with trying a vinegar rinse on the towel. I wash mine as usual (maybe try an Unscented detergent) and add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of white vinegar to the final rinse (or when you would normally add softener). I've never used it in the automatic softener dispenser so I'm not sure it would work. I would hang the towel to dry. Maybe you might have to try it a couple oftimes if it is a musty smell. I found that Downy had gotten so concentrated that I was getting build up on my clothes and tried the vinegar rinse and now I only use softener a handful of times a year. Am very happy with the vinegar.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
    wouldn't the vinegar leave its own smell?

i also would think the sulphates in the laundry detergent would prevent build up. but it would be worth it to me to just wash the two deva towels in a small load with a vinegar rinse if that will take care of it. when i plop/dry my hair the smell drives me crazy.

i always air dry my hair towels.

Sorry, my thoughts are faster than my fingers. I mean you can still wash it with your other towels like normal. I've never had any vinegar smell linger on my laundry and I conditioner almost everything with a vinegar rinse for years now. My hair, on the other hand, I can't do a final rinse with vinegar. If I do it lingers in my hair for days. If I do the rinse after cowash and before rinse out it is ok. Does this make more sense?
    SE PA
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    yes, that makes sense. i'm going to give it a try tomorrow, can't hurt, right?

maybe there is something in the fabric that makes it retain products??
    if it works, i'll think of it same as my coffeemaker, once in a while a vinegar rinse.

I hope it is just build up as that's an easy fix. Like others said I'd let DEVA know. Especially since your other towels don't have this problem.
    It is funny this came up now (well, to me it is) because I have to put a vinegar/BS mix in my washing machine and I try to do it every month. I guess I lost track with the summer. If I go to long soap scum builds up and it throws small little sheets back onto my clothes. Guess what it did today? Yes, my washer is getting a treatment as I type this.
    SE PA
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Curl Connoisseur
    bumping this thread --

so i've been using my deva towels for 2+yrs and loving how my hair dries with them, no frizz and i can dry my hair to a greater degree.

However, there is a problem and i am wondering if anyone else has this?

they smell.

yup. i always air dry and i tried drying them even outside in the sun and they still smell. none of my other towels smell, linen closet is fresh..... i dont' let them sit around wet, usually wash them the day i use them, then air dry. i've even tried misting them with a lavendar mist, but still..... if my hair didn't love them i'd have tossed them. (and no, thankfully, my hair does not pick up that smell.)

any ideas?
    Hi rbb. I've used a double wash method before with baking soda and vinegar to strip the yucky smells out of towels and bump the absorbency back up. Fabric softener salt and detergents can both build up in towels over time, decreasing absorbency and sometimes contributing to a lingering funky smell. See here:
    http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/how-to-fix-your-smelly-towels-in-3-easy-steps

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low /medium porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure
    CO: As I Am
    RO /LI: GVPCB, Ion Effective Care, Maui Moisture Nourish and Moisture, Herbal Essences Birch Bark
    Stylers: Zotos All About Curls Bouncy Cream, Herbal Essences Body Envy Mousse, LALSG, UFDCM
    PT (as needed)IAGirl's, Mielle Babassu Mint, Zotos All About Curls Divine Treatment
    so, i did a vinegar wash with the deva towels this morning.

they are still drying, but mostly dry. one towel is 100% perfect, the other one has a slight smell on one side only and only when i jam m\y nose into it. i will definitely do another vinegar wash.

i know and do use vinegar for other things, but i never thought of fabrics, and this is the first time i had a smelly towel. this makes me want to do a vinegar wash with all my towels, lol. and i probably will.

thanks everyone! so happy to have my deva towels back, of the many hair towels i've used, these are unique and the best.

• reensjpreensjp Registered Users Posts: 9 Curl Neophyte
    I LOVE the towel- it makes such a huge difference to how my hair turns out. That said, I wish they'd have made them able to resist getting funky SO quickly. I travel for work, and have to carry mine in a ziplock, and try and get it hung up as soon as I get to wherever I'm going, if I've had to put it away damp. It gets funky SO fast! I know Norwex clothes don't get that way, I haven't had a chance to try one of those yet for plopping/wrapping, but I plan to soon. I will let you know if I'm successful.
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    reensjp wrote: »
    I LOVE the towel- it makes such a huge difference to how my hair turns out. That said, I wish they'd have made them able to resist getting funky SO quickly. I travel for work, and have to carry mine in a ziplock, and try and get it hung up as soon as I get to wherever I'm going, if I've had to put it away damp. It gets funky SO fast! I know Norwex clothes don't get that way, I haven't had a chance to try one of those yet for plopping/wrapping, but I plan to soon. I will let you know if I'm successful.

I haven't used the Deva towel, but I use the Aquis towels. I really like them. I have had them for several years, and none has gone "funky". I just ordered a few more and they even come in a plastic bag that can be used for travel.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    Where did you order your Aquis Towels from? I’ve had
    Several for years and I want to replace as inexpensively
    As possible.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file