Dec Hilts Misses

adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Miss- Carol's Daughter's blow dry cream

I have had this for awhile but blowdrying makes my hair feel like straw so I decided to retry this product as the c in loc. Complete fail. Not moisturizing at all. Same as any other CD product it makes my hair feel greasy.
Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:

Comments

• CurlySiaCurlySia Posts: 164Registered Users
    Miss - La Bella Super Hold Styling Gel with Coconut Oil

I picked this up at Target since it was so cheap and I'd seen some good reviews on it. It gave a soft hold and my hair felt moisturized for most of the day. I noticed during bed time that my hair felt dry, put my cap on and went to sleep. When I got up this morning and took my cap off I had a dry, tangled haystack on top of my head. I washed, deep conditioned and spent at least an hour finger detangling. I knew I should've gotten some type of conditioner on my head before turning in. Never again!

Hit - b.a.s.k. / Bekura Honey Latte Detangling Milk

I didn't use this to detangle with because it was my first time using it and I didn't trust it yet (Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Detangler is my go to). But I did use it as my leave-in and I like it. Made my curls pop but wasn't as moisturizing as I'd hoped it would be. I think my hair likes lighter oils for the softness I was expecting, so this my work better on top of something else. It was amazing on my daughter's hair though and made her hair feel like silk. I'll try it again after my hair hasn't been traumatized and see if it works better.

EDIT: I tried the detangling milk again and this time mixed it with KBB Leave-in since that doesn't have any BTMS and doesn't provide my hair with any lasting moisture alone. This combo under my styler have kept my hair feeling soft and moisturized for three days so far.
    4a / 3c fine texture, low and normal porosity
    washing/cowashing, conditioning: devacurl decadence one condition, hair rules quench, as i am coconut cowash, curl junkie daily fix, curl rehab
    leave in: curl junkie smoothing lotion, hawaiian silky 14 in 1, hair rules quench, as i am, camille rose fresh curl
    styling: hair rules curly whip, camille rose curl maker
    sealants: oil rinse with Africa's Best Herbal Oil, Soultanicals Knot Dressing, bekura palm tapioca or jane carter nourish & shine
  • claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hit- Carol's Daughter no-poo. Surprisingly lather, and felt great on my head. Trying her hairspray next.
  • CoililanaCoililana Posts: 66Registered Users
    adthomas wrote: »
    Miss- Carol's Daughter's blow dry cream

I have had this for awhile but blowdrying makes my hair feel like straw so I decided to retry this product as the c in loc. Complete fail. Not moisturizing at all. Same as any other CD product it makes my hair feel greasy.

Is this the one with Cupuacu butter?

I tried this earlier in the month and it dried my hair OUT! I returned the following week at Ulta.
    4A-C, Fine/ Fragile/ Prone to Breakage , Extra Dry & Coily :afro:
  • CoililanaCoililana Posts: 66Registered Users
    Fair warning-- I've been all about the silicones this month and boy has it been a fun ride. All the products mentioned, except for Ouidad, were $5 and below. :occasion9:

Hits:
    Ouidad Curl Recovery Whipped Curls Daily Conditioner and Styling Primer: Three years in the game of being natural and this is my first holy grail. This stuff is a-maaa-zing! It looks like a mousse but it's rich like As I Am double butter cream. However, its the next level. I've been sitting on this for over 6 months and just started using it several weeks ago.

Clairol Herbal Essence Wild Naturals Detox shampoo: For my fine, prone to build up hair this stuff is the business. It cleanses without detangling and drying up my hair. It's now part of my staple routine weekly-bi-weekly.

Herbal Essence Naked Cleansing Conditioner: I've never tried Wen before but based on reviews this product is similar. I like to use it mid-week when my hair does not feel that dirty. I leave it on for a few minutes, per the company's recommendations, and the mint oils soothe my scalp. Love it!

Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner: This stuff says it's a conditioner but this can easily pass for a deep conditioner. This stuff has been keeping my hair strong and moisturized. And the smell is heavenly.

Garnier Fructis Damage Eraser reconstructing butter: I've been using this on my edges to deal with the breakage that resulted from my previous no-silicone curly girl regimen. I probably could skip this step since I have the Triple Nutrition, but it does offer additional strengthening. I'm noticing my edges are laying flat when I gel them now. I don't even have to tie a wrap around my head anymore. I guess my hair wasn't healthy before and that was the problem. Anyway, that's no longer the case tag- teaming this product with the Triple Nutrition.

Suave humectant conditioner: Suave claims this stuff is comparable to Nexxus Humectress and I beg to differ. It's better! I paid $2 and change for a 28 fl.oz bottle from Walmart and this stuff moisturized like nobody's business. Holla! :occasion9:

Aussie Moist 3 minute miracle: I'm late to the game with this one. Didn't want to try it when I was doing the silicone-free method, but this now a staple. It's definitely more moisturizing then Suave humectant, so I prefer to use it if I don't use the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition, which is super thick also. So I use this alone or with the next duo.

Clear Scalp & Hair Ultra nourishing shampoo & conditioner: The shampoo is heavily-scented but it nourishes the scalp and hair, so I love the benefits of using. The conditioner is a little wimpy thus I've been following up with Aussie Moist. If you have hair that's fragile like mine, this stuff is the business. I paid almost $6 for both bottles, combined. :icescream:

Suave Moroccan oil infusion shampoo and conditioner: Okay. I didn't initially see the benefits of using this on my hair, but I read reviews that said this was the best knock-off of the Moroccanoil line. So, I was curious. When I saw that both were around $3.50 a bottle I decided to experiment. I am so glad I did. This stuff had my hair singing. Literally, I could part my hair and watch the tangles slide out. That was after I rinsed out the product. I didn't need to leave the conditioner in my hair to have slip. Instead of just sitting on top of my hair, the product actually penetrated and gave my hair the benefits. The shine was amazing and I'm in love. My only issue is to figure out when to squeeze in my routine.

Pantene curl defining mousse: My hair is already on point for styling using the Ouidad whipped curls, but I decided I wanted to give my Clairol Herbal Essence set me off gel some help. I purchased this product on a whim and it definitely aids with hold and definition. Nothing holds as well as my Ecostyler argan oil, but this combo gives me just enough hold while allowing for a much softer wash and go or twist out. Definite keeper.

Pantene Moisture Renewal Detangler: I bought this to use as a leave in and it was an ultimate fail. But I've found an alternative use, just as a detangler that I spray on before using my denman brush. Then I proceed with my styler. On damp hair this works well. On soaking wet hair, the product got lost.

Miss:
    I did pretty well this month. I only have one miss.

Nuetrogena Triple Nutrition leave in: I read good reviews on this one also, but it's not moisturizing enough for me. Fortunately my Ouidad Whipped Curls can salvage this product so I decided finish it instead of returning it and I'll start next year using one of the other leave-ins that I purchased. Hope I have better luck.
    4A-C, Fine/ Fragile/ Prone to Breakage , Extra Dry & Coily :afro:
    HIT -

Flaxseed Gel. I don't know why I waited so long to make it. I heard about it after I first cut my Sisterlocks off a few years ago but never tried it until today. I test it out on a section of dry hair and am amazed by how well my hair clumped right back together on a 4 day old wash n go. The only thing I measured was the flaxseed and marshmallow root infused water I used, so I might've gotten a little crazy with the agave nectar I added to the strained gel. I also seem to have a bit more shrinkage with this than my usual Curl Maker, but I'm going to try it out on my whole freshly washed head tomorrow and see what I think then.

MISS -

ITDF Marshmallow Moisture Balm and Organicals Deep Conditioning Cream.

Not really miss, but just not entirely amazing. The Moisture Balm does nothing for me on it's own, but does seem to offer more moisture to products I have that are also just okay.

The Deep Conditioning Cream made my hair feel stiff. I thought I might be okay with the quinoa protein in it, because Deva Curl's Decadence OC has it, too, and that makes my hair feel amazing. So, there's something about the formula that doesn't work for me.
    washing/cowashing, conditioning: devacurl decadence one condition, hair rules quench, as i am coconut cowash, curl junkie daily fix, curl rehab
    leave in: curl junkie smoothing lotion, hawaiian silky 14 in 1, hair rules quench, as i am, camille rose fresh curl
    sealants: oil rinse with Africa's Best Herbal Oil, Soultanicals Knot Dressing, bekura palm tapioca or jane carter nourish & shine
    HIT -

Essential Wholesale Styling Hair Jelly
    I decided to try this after watching Abena's Youtube videos featuring Wondercurl's Styling Lotion on her Embrace Natural Beauty channel. The ingredients look to be the same with polyquat 7. I mixed it with some seamollient and fractionated coconut oil. It dried a little crunchy and was easy to scrunch out for a soft, flexible hold with definition and movement.
  • claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Fail: Carol's Daughter's Monoi hairspray. No hold.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file