At home advice for red over ombre.

lexiinamorlexiinamor Registered Users Posts: 13 Curl Neophyte
I want to dye my hair at home into a medium, natural redhead color!

I currently have ombre hair that goes to my waist.

(I know, I know, a professional stylist is best, but they quoted me over $300 because of the length of my hair and the amount of product needed to do it and I can't and don't want to spend that much money on hair. So I'm not looking for comments of "Just get it professionally done". I just want to think about the possibilities and gather advice of how it might be done at home to see if I WOULD try it myself, because the alternative is nothing.)

Should I do something to the dark on the top (about 4 inches of virgin level 4ish brown hair) to lighten it to the same level as the rest and then pull a color through all the rest? I'm thinking I should use a red color with a 20 or 30V developer and apply to all the virgin hair first and then use a demi or semi permanent on all the bleached hair with 10V developer.

Advice is much appreciated!! Best brands? Volume? Ends and then all virgin hair last?? THAAAANKS! :occasion9:
High type: 2c/3a curl, a bit fine, medium density, VERY low porosity
Length: BSL (going for waist)
Ombre hair with warm brown/golden copper (grown out bleached ends and red henna overtop)
Hair loves touch.
Products: Live Clean but...
new here and currently researching better products to achieve better definition and VOLUME for my hair type! Haven't decided yet what to try....

Comments

• BabyfineBabyfine Registered Users Posts: 149 Curl Novice
    Well, I'm not at all knowledgeable about hair color.
    I get mine colored every 12 weeks at a salon, I know it's expensive but I live in a rural area, and lucky to have a stylist who trained in a large city and moved here-With my uber fine hair I just would rather not make any mistakes.
    So I pay $55.00 for trim and color, more when I got peek-a-boo highlights.
    I just get all over demi color to cover grey-cheaper than highlights.
    I guess one suggestion I have is to go to Robert Craig.com they have a stylist you can email and get a consultation, and they have very gentle permanent color, never tried it myself, but has gotten good reviews here.
    perhaps you could email the consultant there and she would advise you how to color over your hair with their box color, and which color.
    they have an online consultant that will help you pick color, ect.
    Just a suggestion.
    I'm looking for more curl, body, volume, and shine-a miracle really.
    Poos" Nioxin, Devacurl, Jessicurl
    Leave in: Ouidad Moisture Lock/B'leavein
    Rinse out: VO5 Kiwi Lime, Mane and Tail,Too Shea
    Mousse: Oscar Blandi Hair Life, Ouidad Playcurl
    Gel: Devacurl Light defining gel
  • SanyaSanya Registered Users Posts: 11
    If you just want an even color, I am surprised it is that much. Maybe call a second salon?

I have red ombré done in a salon and that was exactly 6 months ago and now it's time to trim off. I just waited till it grew out. Lol
    :angel2: 2A :angel2: 2B :angel2: 2C :angel2:
  • AlexzandraAlexzandra Registered Users Posts: 4
    I didn't have ombre, but I had blonded my hair, then it grew dark roots and then I blonded it again, but not in professional salon, so it got all messed up.
    I wanted to color it drak red so I bought two packs of hair dye and just applied it on my messed up hair with strips and spots.
    I was surprised to see that all the mess was gone and my hair looked great!
    But... only for a few days(( After third or fourth wash all spots became bright again(((
  • stream26stream26 Registered Users Posts: 40 Curl Neophyte
    No problem! You can always try local hairdressing colleges - the students will be back now and a full hair of colour at mine for long hair is only $25, so a massive discount on actual hairdressers. If you're just going to try and achieve an ombre, it will probably be cheaper as there's less hair.
    However, the ends of your hair will be bleach, they will tend to leak colour quicker than the rest of your hair. You can always buy a dark brown hairdye, mix it up in a bowl and use the brush for the ombre to use over the 'wrong' parts and just dye those, if the rest of your hair is natural. Try a strand test to see how long you need to leave the colour on for. Nice and Easy is my favourite home brand.
    Around a 3 month ago, I did an burgundy ombre in a salon. and really love it .
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    I second the Robert Craig Color! Yes, you can go to the page and request help, or just give them a call. They're great! The color is demi, not lifting, so gentle on the curls. I've used it for over 15 years now. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • maniamania Registered Users Posts: 56
    I am very thankful to all of you for being provide us such an important and useful information..:angel9:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file