Best brand of rollers for straightening without heat?

bookgrdngirlbookgrdngirl Posts: 403Registered Users Curl Neophyte
After going back and forth on straightening, I decided to stick with my no heat straightening decision! :) I was thinking of breaking my decision to measure my length before I cut it. However -- after learning about possible damage from my straightener or a straightening brush, I decided it wasn't for me.

Instead of using heat, I'm going to try straightening with rollers! I think I'm going to end up buying the Conair ones on Amazon (they come in a pack of 31), but I wanted to know if anyone had any other recommendations. I like that it can straighten my curls without giving me any heat recommendations.

Any recommendations? I'm looking for the cheapest recommendations! If they come in a pack with other rollers: that'd be great as well! I asked for a set of Curlformers for Christmas too. I've been converted to loving rollers. :thumright:

Since I invested in a pack of flexi-rods, I found them to be really great part of my routine. I'm disabled and can't style my hair myself (I can just apply products) so it's easier for my mom sometimes than braiding my hair. If I have somewhere to go the next day, I use flexi-rods because my hair dries in them faster versus three days of drying time in two French braids.
Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
  • Giovanni: Avocado and Olive Oil (RO), Tea Tree Sham & Con (CW/RO)
  • KC: KT, CC, CC
  • CR: CM, GR, AWB, Balm
  • CJ: DF, CIAB, SL, CR
  • CURLS: Souffle
  • AV Juice
  • EVOO

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,182Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Bookgrdngirl, Here's my experience with rollers - hope it is helpful.

There are plastic rollers with brushes in them. These are hard to find but they do a good job.

There are plastic rollers without brushes. These are everywhere and pretty much all work well. They need to be secured with either bobbi pins or clips. They will take forever to dry if you don't use a hair dryer - hand held is fine. With a hair dryer you will get a bouncy curl (think Marilyn Monroe) or a straighter look depending on the size of the roller. You need to experiment.

There are foam rollers that you can sleep on but they don't do as good a job of making your hair sleek and they can leave a mark.

There are velcro rollers. I wasn't able to use thee because they fall out of my hair and I think they are rough on the hair.

There are "steam" rollers - expensive and didn't work for me at all.

There are many, many youtube videos showing you how to work with rollers to either smooth your curls or straighten your hair. I use rollers frequently because I get a nice hairstyle that stays for a few days. Unfortunately when I wear my hair curly, I have to rewet every day so I often depend on rollers.

My suggestion is to get some cheap plastic ones in different sizes, and make sure you get either clips or bobbi pins and some setting lotion or mousse and go to town. Let us know how it works out!!!:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • BeautyOGBeautyOG Posts: 383Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Bookgrdngirl: Please post your results! I am experimenting with no heat straightening methods too. And as for rollers, jumbo perm rods from Sally's should be good.

Sent from my QMV7B using CurlTalk App
    My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

• bookgrdngirlbookgrdngirl Posts: 403Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Bookgrdngirl, Here's my experience with rollers - hope it is helpful.

There are plastic rollers with brushes in them. These are hard to find but they do a good job.

There are plastic rollers without brushes. These are everywhere and pretty much all work well. They need to be secured with either bobbi pins or clips. They will take forever to dry if you don't use a hair dryer - hand held is fine. With a hair dryer you will get a bouncy curl (think Marilyn Monroe) or a straighter look depending on the size of the roller. You need to experiment.

There are foam rollers that you can sleep on but they don't do as good a job of making your hair sleek and they can leave a mark.

There are velcro rollers. I wasn't able to use thee because they fall out of my hair and I think they are rough on the hair.

There are "steam" rollers - expensive and didn't work for me at all.

There are many, many youtube videos showing you how to work with rollers to either smooth your curls or straighten your hair. I use rollers frequently because I get a nice hairstyle that stays for a few days. Unfortunately when I wear my hair curly, I have to rewet every day so I often depend on rollers.

My suggestion is to get some cheap plastic ones in different sizes, and make sure you get either clips or bobbi pins and some setting lotion or mousse and go to town. Let us know how it works out!!!:

Thanks so much, curlypearl! That was so very helpful for me! :thumright:

I figured against the velcro because the idea of velcro near my hair just gives me a cringe-y feeling! LOL. I'm going out shopping tomorrow. Depending on what I see, I'll get whatever is cheapest!

If I don't see anything as cheap as the rollers on Amazon, I'll buy the Conair ones. I plan on picking up some setting lotion or a mouse too.

I can't find a protein-free mousse -- so I'm probably going to end up picking SM's 'Coconut and Shine' mousse. My hair doesn't seem to react as badly to silk protein, but I don't think that it's a huge fan overall. It only liked it in the 'Coconut and Shine' conditioner... but it ended up getting protein sensitivity symptoms from the Smoothie and Shampoo. I'm hoping it won't bug my hair at all like the conditioner didn't.

If there aren't any cheap large rollers when I'm out shopping tomorrow, I'll order the online ones by Conair.

I'm going to follow RisasRizos' video on roller straightening! Her curl pattern isn't that far off from my own, so I'm hoping it'll also work great for me. I found a great one by MoKnowsHair as well (she didn't seem to have an extremely huge pattern difference from my own) both of their videos are what prompted me to try this.

I'll post some photos when I'm done! :icescream:
    Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    BeautyOG wrote: »
    Bookgrdngirl: Please post your results! I am experimenting with no heat straightening methods too. And as for rollers, jumbo perm rods from Sally's should be good.

I promise to post the results for you, girlie! :icescream:

Do you know of any other ways to straighten hair without heat? I only learned of how to do it with rollers. I think you can do it with Curlformers too from a Youtube video that I seen that someone with 2C hair posted, but I don't know how it would work with someone with our type of curl patterns.

Thanks for the tip! I'm hoping to buy them at Sally's. :) I really like rollers... so I plan on using them more! I use flexi-rods a lot. They were definitely one of the best investments that I've ever made. I love not worrying about my hair if I have somewhere to go to like an event and it gives my mom something else to do to my hair besides braids. I'm disabled and can't do any type of styles (besides apply products) so it's nice having something else that's easy for my mom to do!
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO

I promise to post the results for you, girlie! :icescream:

Do you know of any other ways to straighten hair without heat? I only learned of how to do it with rollers. I think you can do it with Curlformers too from a Youtube video that I seen that someone with 2C hair posted, but I don't know how it would work with someone with our type of curl patterns.

Thanks for the tip! I'm hoping to buy them at Sally's. :) I really like rollers... so I plan on using them more! I use flexi-rods a lot. They were definitely one of the best investments that I've ever made. I love not worrying about my hair if I have somewhere to go to like an event and it gives my mom something else to do to my hair besides braids. I'm disabled and can't do any type of styles (besides apply products) so it's nice having something else that's easy for my mom to do!
    Thanks! :)
    Well another way to straighten hair is by warping your wet/damp hair around your head. That method, depending on person and the hair, can be a bit fickle.
    I have also found that Bantu knots can straighten hair too. (At least for me it does) I have learned that if wrap the hair into a Bantu knot without twisting the hair, it will straighten my hair and give me full bouncy results.
    I literally learned this by chance, so I have yet to do this on my entire head. However it is a thought. ;)

My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Well another way to straighten hair is by warping your wet/damp hair around your head. That method, depending on person and the hair, can be a bit fickle.

I have also found that Bantu knots can straighten hair too. (At least for me it does) I have learned that if wrap the hair into a Bantu knot without twisting the hair, it will straighten my hair and give me full bouncy results.
    I literally learned this by chance, so I have yet to do this on my entire head. However it is a thought. ;)

I plan on doing the wrap around after I take down the rollers! I saw that done in a few videos of roller straightening and thought it'd be a good idea! I'd be doing it on dry hair versus wet hair instead though. I heard it can help take some of the curl out to make it straighter. I'll see how that works!

My trip got postponded to this Sunday after church because of all of the rain. :thumbdown: Hopefully, I'll get good results from this on Monday when I wake up. I plan on doing the wrap over with a tight scarf (I can't put plastic wrap on my head -- I'd sweat to death) for a little bit to help straighten it out some more. If it works, I may be doing that hairstyle for Christmas!

It's hard because I can't decide if I want to wear my curly hair, flexi-rods or do the straight hair! I'm too indecisive. LOL.

That's interesting about the bantu knots! I never tried bantu knots. It may be interesting to try... but I don't know if I could do it to my entire head. It seems like it could take a long time. I have pretty dense hair -- so it'd be a lot for my mom to do for me.
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO

I plan on doing the wrap around after I take down the rollers! I saw that done in a few videos of roller straightening and thought it'd be a good idea! I'd be doing it on dry hair versus wet hair instead though. I heard it can help take some of the curl out to make it straighter. I'll see how that works!

My trip got postponded to this Sunday after church because of all of the rain. :thumbdown: Hopefully, I'll get good results from this on Monday when I wake up. I plan on doing the wrap over with a tight scarf (I can't put plastic wrap on my head -- I'd sweat to death) for a little bit to help straighten it out some more. If it works, I may be doing that hairstyle for Christmas!

It's hard because I can't decide if I want to wear my curly hair, flexi-rods or do the straight hair! I'm too indecisive. LOL.

That's interesting about the bantu knots! I never tried bantu knots. It may be interesting to try... but I don't know if I could do it to my entire head. It seems like it could take a long time. I have pretty dense hair -- so it'd be a lot for my mom to do for me.
    Sounds great! Well I can't wait to see it!

Yeah, I can't put plastic wrap on my head either!

I'm having trouble choosing what to do to my hair too. I'm sure whatever you decide to do to your hair for Christmas will look beautiful! ;D

My hair is pretty dense too (which caused me a lot of pain growing up. Detangling was a nightmare!)
    Bantu knots are really easy to to and don't take long at all. (I do about 5 or 6 on either side of my head) I find that the less products in my hair, the better the result. I like to spray my hair with a diy leave in spray beforehand, it gave me the softest results!

Sent from CurlTalk App
    My Hair:

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Sounds great! Well I can't wait to see it! Yeah, I can't put plastic wrap on my head either!

I'm having trouble choosing what to do to my hair too. I'm sure whatever you decide to do to your hair for Christmas will look beautiful! ;D

My hair is pretty dense too (which caused me a lot of pain growing up. Detangling was a nightmare!). Bantu knots are really easy to to and don't take long at all. (I do about 5 or 6 on either side of my head) I find that the less products in my hair, the better the result. I like to spray my hair with a diy leave in spray beforehand, it gave me the softest results!

I sweat easily... and I can't imagine using plastic wrap! I guess if you sit in front of a fan than it would be okay, but still! I see they also use a blow dryer on top of the plastic wrap. I can't imagine that at all. I will also look into bantu knots! I try not to use a lot of products either. I usually do the LCO method then a gel.

My roller straightening experience was not a good one. :shaking: I think it was a mixture of the mousse, my hair properties, and the weather. If I had to rate how it turned out, I'd give it a zero. :P

I have very frizz prone hair. I can talk when it's going to rain, LOL. It rained badly from the 23rd to 25th... so the frizz was ridiculous.

I used 15 of the 3 inch magnetic green jumbo rollers to cover my entire head. I slept in them for TWELVE HOURS! It was so painful. I had to use two extra large scarves to cover the rollers; a satin one and then a cotton one to keep the satin in place. When I woke up, I had a horrible migraine. I felt like my brain was going to implode!

I immediately took them out because I felt like I was going to throw up from the migraine. My hair was still soaked... which I knew was going to be a problem from the get-go. I sometimes leave flexi-rod sets in for almost two days to wait for my hair to dry. My hair takes a very long time to dry in general. My braid outs are still damp when I take them out 3-4 days later.

I also could tell it felt like there was NO product in my hair at all! I actually tried the mousse with a flexi-set and also got sucky results. My hair apparently hates mousse. I guess I learned my lesson too late. :angry7: I don't know if I'll like mousse for styling my curls, but I doubt it.

When I first removed the rollers: my hair was straight! It was wavy at the bottoms, but I actually like that look more than the super sleek straightened look. My roots were still curly textured... but that was always normal for me, even when I flat ironed my hair.

It looked really good at first. However, within 30 minutes from that: it was reverting back to its natural texture and getting frizzier by the minute. It looked like a frizzy disaster of 2c/3a-ish hair -- I guess I would say if I had to put a hair typing number on it. It was not a good look at all. :(

I have photos. My hair is still soaked in it, but the top layers were damp-ish. It's what my hair looked like 4 hours after removing the rollers.

Luckily, I was skeptical about this turning out well... and bought a jumbo hair bun donut! I ended up wearing a bun for Christmas Eve and Christmas. I never knew how much I'd love bun donuts, but it was so comfortable for me! I used a comb to sleek it down in the front with my Curl Maker gel then wrapped the rest into a bun with the donut. It was a cute look... and it also mimicked what my actual bun looks like! It just took out the weight of it because my hair could rest on the plushy donut.

I tend to get headaches from ponytails, buns, etc. -- so I love it! I'm going to buy a bigger one. The one that I bought is considered XL, I think? I want a jumbo one.

What hairstyles did you do for Christmas? :)
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    This is what it looked like after I ran my paddle brush through it. As you can tell: it was still curly/wavy looking. The frizz was ridiculous! I kept applying Curl Junkie's 'Curls in a Bottle' and gel to make it less frizzy... but nothing was working.
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    A close up photo after paddling brush again. :(
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    Bookgrdngirl: Oh no! I wish it had worked out better for you! I tried it too with Bantu knots and the wrap around method. It worked pretty well, I had gel in it from a wash n go still but that didn't affect the results much. I needed to have wrapped it a tad tighter, but other than that, it was fairly good. I'll have to try it again though. I don't have a picture right now, but I will take one for you to see before I wash my hair.

~Jenae (Sent from CurlTalk App)
    My Hair:

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Sounds great! Well I can't wait to see it! Yeah, I can't put plastic wrap on my head either!

My hair is pretty dense too (which caused me a lot of pain growing up. Detangling was a nightmare!). Bantu knots are really easy to to and don't take long at all. (I do about 5 or 6 on either side of my head) I find that the less products in my hair, the better the result. I like to spray my hair with a diy leave in spray beforehand, it gave me the softest results!

I sweat easily... and I can't imagine using plastic wrap! I guess if you sit in front of a fan than it would be okay, but still! I see they also use a blow dryer on top of the plastic wrap. I can't imagine that at all. I will also look into bantu knots! I try not to use a lot of products either. I usually do the LCO method then a gel.

My roller straightening experience was not a good one. :shaking: I think it was a mixture of the mousse, my hair properties, and the weather. If I had to rate how it turned out, I'd give it a zero. :P

I have very frizz prone hair. I can talk when it's going to rain, LOL. It rained badly from the 23rd to 25th... so the frizz was ridiculous.

I used 15 of the 3 inch magnetic green jumbo rollers to cover my entire head. I slept in them for TWELVE HOURS! It was so painful. I had to use two extra large scarves to cover the rollers; a satin one and then a cotton one to keep the satin in place. When I woke up, I had a horrible migraine. I felt like my brain was going to implode!

I immediately took them out because I felt like I was going to throw up from the migraine. My hair was still soaked... which I knew was going to be a problem from the get-go. I sometimes leave flexi-rod sets in for almost two days to wait for my hair to dry. My hair takes a very long time to dry in general. My braid outs are still damp when I take them out 3-4 days later.

I also could tell it felt like there was NO product in my hair at all! I actually tried the mousse with a flexi-set and also got sucky results. My hair apparently hates mousse. I guess I learned my lesson too late. :angry7: I don't know if I'll like mousse for styling my curls, but I doubt it.

When I first removed the rollers: my hair was straight! It was wavy at the bottoms, but I actually like that look more than the super sleek straightened look. My roots were still curly textured... but that was always normal for me, even when I flat ironed my hair.

It looked really good at first. However, within 30 minutes from that: it was reverting back to its natural texture and getting frizzier by the minute. It looked like a frizzy disaster of 2c/3a-ish hair -- I guess I would say if I had to put a hair typing number on it. It was not a good look at all. :(

I have photos. My hair is still soaked in it, but the top layers were damp-ish. It's what my hair looked like 4 hours after removing the rollers.

Luckily, I was skeptical about this turning out well... and bought a jumbo hair bun donut! I ended up wearing a bun for Christmas Eve and Christmas. I never knew how much I'd love bun donuts, but it was so comfortable for me! I used a comb to sleek it down in the front with my Curl Maker gel then wrapped the rest into a bun with the donut. It was a cute look... and it also mimicked what my actual bun looks like! It just took out the weight of it because my hair could rest on the plushy donut.

I tend to get headaches from ponytails, buns, etc. -- so I love it! I'm going to buy a bigger one. The one that I bought is considered XL, I think? I want a jumbo one.

What hairstyles did you do for Christmas? :)

Well my experience was a rather pleasant one. First I shampooed and conditioned my hair, leaving the conditioner in my hair.
    Then I brushed my hair and added some LA looks sport gel before setting my hair in Bantu knots.
    To sleep, I wrapped my hair in a curly tee towel.
    The next day my hair was still about 70% wet so I wrapped my hair around my head. The next morning my hair was dry and I had type 1 to 2a waves. The roots were still curly because I didn't warp it tight enough. A little frizzy, but not too bad.
    The wrapping process took about 10 mins tops. And the Bantu knots took 20 mins.

Next time I will just wrap my hair some my head with only conditioner in it and see what happens.

Braid outs take forever to dry for me too! 48 hours plus! And my hair is so thick and long I get headaches from buns and ponytails just fall out.

It was raining a lot during Christmas (our river flooded badly) so I wore a rose bun by haartraum. :)

~Jenae (Sent from CurlTalk App)
    My Hair:

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file