Tips and Mistakes to avoid for inexperienced curlies!

MyWomenPowerMyWomenPower Registered Users Posts: 33
Hi curlies.. I was wondering if any of you has some tips or mistakes to avoid so that we inexperienced curlies can improve our curly hair.
You can post concerns or questions on here! or you can also share what works best for your hair type.
My main concerns..
How to fight frizz?
What to do when curls lose definition quickly
How to protect your hair in winter
How to protect your hair in a windy weather
#MyWomenPower
#CurlyHair

Comments

• BeinDebBeinDeb Registered Users Posts: 583 Curl Connoisseur
    The biggest mistake I made (still do, more often than I care to admit) is the "no touch" rule. Absolutely, positively, no touching my hair until it is dry. That's DRY... 100% dry. To do so before it is dry, is a guarantee of frizz that will do nothing but increase until the next wash.
  • MyWomenPowerMyWomenPower Registered Users Posts: 33
    Well.. I have to be honest as well. I do that as well. I mean it is something that I cannot stop doing.The plopping method does not work for me, for some reason. It makes my 3A curls flat. So the only option is air drying. I do not like using a diffuser as well, cause it takes time, and time is precious!
    anyway.. thanks ♥♥♥
    I have time constraints as well. What I've been trying lately, is to let whatever gel I'm using set a bit via air drying. Then I diffuse for a few minutes, which sets the gel further (I don't do it very long...just don't have the patience). I'll let it air dry some more as long as I can, followed by another round of short diffusing. After the second diffuse, I let it be until right before I'm ready to go wherever I'm going. Then, when I turn it loose (also know as scrunching, smoothing, & fluffing), I'll rub either a little pomade, oil, or even a bit of shea butter on my hands prior to. I seem to have much better luck controlling the frizz if I have something "sealing" on my hands to SOTC. (scrunch out the crunch). My hair is fine and porous though, so your mileage may vary.
    Another thing I've learned is that whatever curl type you are is far less important than what your hair is. That is, is it fine, coarse, or somewhere in between? Is it low porosity (products sit rather than absorb), or is it high (sucks everything up like a sponge)? Is it thick or thin, or inbetween? Once you figure out its "personality," listen to it! Notice what products it loves or hates. Read ingredient labels & learn what it likes and doesn't. As a reforming product junkie, I can tell you that some of the drugstore products work every bit as well as the high dollar ones. The main thing is to listen to your locks. Most of us curlies over the course of our lives, have ignored what our hair has been so desperately trying to tell us. Instead, we have chosen to beat it into submission. Work with your hair, rather than against it. Observation is key. Take everything you read with a grain of salt. If it sounds true to you, it probably is.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    I second knowing your hair properties. Curl pattern is not important to hair care. I have medium coarse, low porosity, extremely dense 3b/c hair. My hair ranges from smooth and shiny to kinky and frizzy depending upon my mood. The curlies who I tend to get the best hair advice from are those who have coarse type 2 hair and dry 4a hair. Many type 3s have fine hair so most of their recommended products and techniques don't work for me.

Another tip is to trust your instincts. If you feel a stylist is wrong for your hair, then leave no matter how rude you feel it is. Thinning usually yields frizzy results, especially for fine curly hair. All chemical processes require more moisture or protein depending upon your hair type.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
    That's what I always did until July 2015. I always hated my hair, combed it like a crazy and pretended it was straight.On the other hand whenever I scrunch I get beautifully defined curls, but a lot, but a lot, BUT A LOT of frizz! porosity, etc. are things that I cannot figure out.I mean I know the basic, but I surely think i still need to work on figuring out all about my hair. My hair type is 3A. I am sure I am going to learn everything by time!
    Question: How am I supposed have defined curls on my second and third day hair?
    Refresh them with water... but this does not work for me! I mean they get some volume but most of them become wavy/curly. Do you recommend any particular way of doing or any product that I should try? I am desperate to have beautifully defined curls!
    ♥ thanks for the tips! Are there any particular products that you recommend for type 3B?
    I have three textures: 2c from the back, 3A from the sides and 3B on the front. I always say my hair is 3A cause I think it is not too springy and not too wavy. Anyway thanks.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    ♥ thanks for the tips! Are there any particular products that you recommend for type 3B?
    I have three textures: 2c from the back, 3A from the sides and 3B on the front. I always say my hair is 3A cause I think it is not too springy and not too wavy. Anyway thanks.

You're describing curl pattern. Texture is the size of your strands: fine, normal or coarse. I believe Goosefootprints on etsy still does hair analysis. This would help you determine your properties and choose products for your hair type.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file