Hair never feels moisturize?

AfromuffinAfromuffin Posts: 158Registered Users
Does anyone else have that issue?
It's like my hair feels good and fine when I'm in the shower with conditoner, but after it feels coated and greasy when I apply products.
I will admit I've been buying a few more products in which I'm not sure if my hair actually likes them or not. It's becoming tiring and I've have yet to have moisturized hair without a greasy feel.

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,524Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I had that problem when I had build-up. Clarifying helped immensely. Have you clarified lately?
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • CurlySiaCurlySia Posts: 164Registered Users
    I agree with Therese. Usually when my hair isn't accepting moisture I need to clarify. Behentrimonium Methosulfate in particular seems to build up on my hair, especially in the formulations of some products.

I've also found that my hair doesn't absorb products very well unless my hair is soaking wet, and my hair doesn't stay soaking wet for very long. So I dilute most products with water in an applicator bottle and apply them that way.
    4a / 3c fine texture, low and normal porosity
    washing/cowashing, conditioning: devacurl decadence one condition, hair rules quench, as i am coconut cowash, curl junkie daily fix, curl rehab
    leave in: curl junkie smoothing lotion, hawaiian silky 14 in 1, hair rules quench, as i am, camille rose fresh curl
    styling: hair rules curly whip, camille rose curl maker
    sealants: oil rinse with Africa's Best Herbal Oil, Soultanicals Knot Dressing, bekura palm tapioca or jane carter nourish & shine
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Clarifying helps me. Not applying to soaking wet hair helps me. And heat either by hot oil treatment or by running water over my before washing to open the cuticle.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • AfromuffinAfromuffin Posts: 158Registered Users
    I tried black soap, kinda stripped my hair.
    I don't like applying shampoos, the ones I used all strip my hair too much for clarifying.
    I think it could be my water.
    It may be kind of hard
  • curlisue1curlisue1 Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Novice
    I normally would clarify, but lately even doing that hasn't helped a lot. I decided to try the LOC method and WOW! My hair was soft and not frizzy and I've easily gotten second day hair today. Have you tried LOC?
    Afromuffin wrote: »
    I don't like applying shampoos, the ones I used all strip my hair too much for clarifying.
    It may be kind of hard

I've never used black soap on my hair for that reason. It does the same thing to my skin. Makes it feel tight and itchy dry.

I rarely ever clarify with a shampoo, and even then I dilute it to make it a bit more mild and prepoo beforehand.

Normally I can use a cleansing conditioner with Cetrimonium Chloride and / or Cocamidopropyl Betaine or a clay wash with a mix of rhassoul and bentonite and those cleanse my hair fairly well. But I also rarely use any silicones or heavy butters / oils. I have hard water also and have had success using Malibu C Curl Partner to clarify.
    washing/cowashing, conditioning: devacurl decadence one condition, hair rules quench, as i am coconut cowash, curl junkie daily fix, curl rehab
    leave in: curl junkie smoothing lotion, hawaiian silky 14 in 1, hair rules quench, as i am, camille rose fresh curl
    sealants: oil rinse with Africa's Best Herbal Oil, Soultanicals Knot Dressing, bekura palm tapioca or jane carter nourish & shine
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,524Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    If you think your water is hard but you don't want to use a clarifying shampoo, you could do an apple cider vinegar rinse. I don't know what the best amounts are to use, though; you'd have to see what others do. You'd probably need to let it sit on the hair for a few minutes.

There is also a recipe called "Lemon Aid" that Lorraine Massey gives in her Curly Girl book, and I'm pretty sure that's posted somewhere on the forum if you do a search. I think it involves adding the juice of half a lemon to your regular conditioner and letting the mixture sit on the hair for a while.

Another option would be to buy a little bit of citric acid at the grocery store (I get mine at a co-op, from the bulk foods aisle) and mix it with water and use that to rinse your hair. You'd have to check the Hair Science-y Blog for the correct amounts--it is highly acidic and can damage the hair if not mixed with enough water.

And I did read somewhere--can't remember where, maybe the Hair Science-y Blog--that you can even use a sugar scrub to remove buildup from your hair. If the chemical methods like lemon juice, etc., don't work, you can put some sugar in your hair and manually remove the buildup by scrubbing. I've never done this myself. If you want to do this, I would post to the forum for advice so that you don't damage your hair.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • CoililanaCoililana Posts: 66Registered Users
    CurlySia wrote: »
    It may be kind of hard

I've never used black soap on my hair for that reason. It does the same thing to my skin. Makes it feel tight and itchy dry.

I rarely ever clarify with a shampoo, and even then I dilute it to make it a bit more mild and prepoo beforehand.

Normally I can use a cleansing conditioner with Cetrimonium Chloride and / or Cocamidopropyl Betaine or a clay wash with a mix of rhassoul and bentonite and those cleanse my hair fairly well. But I also rarely use any silicones or heavy butters / oils. I have hard water also and have had success using Malibu C Curl Partner to clarify.

When I started on this "natural" hair journey I purchased a bunch of shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley and even one from Curl Mart ( Bobeam). I tried the Chagrin butter bar first and my hair literally collapsed straight. There is no other way to explain it.

I still can't figure out why people recommend using these other than the fact that they are natural. But everything natural is not necessarily good for you. The ph level in those shampoo bars (i.e. soap) are not correct for hair.
    4A-C, Fine/ Fragile/ Prone to Breakage , Extra Dry & Coily :afro:
    I tried the loc method, but I haven't found any products that I think are good for it.
    yeah I usually use clay masks but since I'm in college they're kinda time consuming and messy
    is the shampoo stripping?
    true.
    I think if you have soft water it's not that bad.
    ironically I've been doing an acv rinse after every wash, but it gets kinda annoying having to do it so often.
    I tried the lemon thing using lemon juice from the store, it did help me to detangle.
    ironically I've been doing an acv rinse after every wash, but it gets kinda annoying having to do it so often.
    I tried the lemon thing using lemon juice from the store, it did help me to detangle.

Afromuffin, how would you describe the properties of your hair?

Is it fine<--> coarse, very dry<--> oily (including scalp)?

In addition, is the water in your area hard <--> soft, do you live in a dry/humid climate?

These factors will definitely contribute to figuring out what type of products will work best for you.

It sounds as if the natural remedies you are trying are not that effective and that you do need to use a shampoo. Not all shampoos are created equal. There is one out there that will not strip your hair. I can recommend a couple that I use for my very dry hair and scalp: Ouidad Superfruit Renewal and Clairol Herbal Essence Wild Naturals Detox shampoo. I also like Keracare 1st Lather shampoo, but it may not be curly girl friendly.

If none of your products are effective, build up is most likely the culprit.
    I see small pieces of hair that appear to be fine. I think my hair strands are fine to medium, fine being in the nape, but I think I have high density.
    I'm not sure about my scalp other than it itching after a few days, I guess it could be dry, I get flakes after a week.
    I could be wrong but yeah.
    I live in central virginia if that helps.

I believe my water is hard. That's one of reasons why I'm scared to use a shampoo as even the ones that claim to moisturize just leave my hair dry and tangled.
    Plus, my hairs so picky about products and I'm afraid they'll all dry it out.
    here's a pic if that helps
    yeah I usually use clay masks but since I'm in college they're kinda time consuming and messy
    is the shampoo stripping?

I hear ya. When I make a clay rinse I just take an applicator bottle, put in a bit of water (if I put clay in first, I notice some will stick to the bottom of the bottle and be near impossible to get out), then I put in my clay and add a touch more water. Cover the spout with my finger and shake, then I'll add more water and whatever else I'm going to use in the clay rinse. This makes the mixing and application faster and less messy.

I apply this in the shower and massage it into my scalp and hair like shampoo. Sometimes I'll put a shower cap on and let it steam while I wash, but normally I just rinse after massaging it through.

The shampoo I use is Kinky Curly Come Clean and even diluted it is
    very drying for my hair so I prepoo first and get a deep conditioner on after rinsing thoroughly. I really only use it three or four times a year and it's normally because I'd been lazy about cleansing regularly with milder products or have been using heavier products or 'cones.

I saw this blog post awhile back and, interestingly, she found that oat water performed as well as shampoo for cleansing her hair:

THE NATURAL HAVEN: Hair Science: How well do mild cleansers really clean hair?

I haven't tried it, though.
    Coililana wrote: »
    When I started on this "natural" hair journey I purchased a bunch of shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley and even one from Curl Mart ( Bobeam). I tried the Chagrin butter bar first and my hair literally collapsed straight. There is no other way to explain it.

I still can't figure out why people recommend using these other than the fact that they are natural. But everything natural is not necessarily good for you. The ph level in those shampoo bars (i.e. soap) are not correct for hair.

Yeah, I tried a shampoo bar years ago and avoided them until earlier this year when I got the Honey I Shrunk The Frizz bar from Soultanicals. The first time I used it my hair felt really clean without being stripped, but the second time I used it, it felt coated and I couldn't rinse that feeling away so I haven't touched it again.
    I see small pieces of hair that appear to be fine. I think my hair strands are fine to medium, fine being in the nape, but I think I have high density.
    I'm not sure about my scalp other than it itching after a few days, I guess it could be dry, I get flakes after a week.
    I could be wrong but yeah.
    I live in central virginia if that helps.

I believe my water is hard. That's one of reasons why I'm scared to use a shampoo as even the ones that claim to moisturize just leave my hair dry and tangled.
    Plus, my hairs so picky about products and I'm afraid they'll all dry it out.

That pic is adorable! :smile: I'm in Northern Virginia btw--Fairfax to be exact--but I don't have the hard water issue.

My curl pattern and density are very similar to yours. Admittedly, I haven't had to deal with hard water issues since going natural, so I wouldn't know what to recommend. But I would definitely try the shampoos (or something similar) that I recommended. Ouidad Superfruit renewal is expensive, but it gets raving reviews from all types of curlies and its returnable at Ulta. The Herbal Essence wild naturals detox shampoo (I swear) did not strip my hair. I only paid a few bucks for it at Target, but they also accept returns.

Keep updating on your progress if you can. This may be a journey for the long haul, but once you find those right products and routine, I'm sure your hair will be back to maintaining moisture.
    CurlySia wrote: "Yeah, I tried a shampoo bar years ago and avoided them until earlier this year when I got the Honey I Shrunk The Frizz bar from Soultanicals. The first time I used it my hair felt really clean without being stripped, but the second time I used it, it felt coated and I couldn't rinse that feeling away so I haven't touched it again."

Where did you purchase your Soultanicals from? I heard wonderful things about their gels but I have yet to try them because the shipping costs were too much for my pocket.

After I tried that butter bar, I noticed a filmy residue left behind on my hair also. Some women swear by those shampoo bars and their hair looks so healthful. but I guess everything ain't for everybody.
    I got it from Soultanicals directly. Ayo has amazing sales so I just follow on FB and wait until she does a sale with no minimum free shipping to get products from her line I've been wanting to try.
    Aw thanks!
    I might have to try those shampoos.
    I just hate spending money on stuff that doesn't work you know?
    I think I need to rethink my whole hair care regimen.
  • WavycatWavycat Posts: 325Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If you suspect hard water look at sinks and faucets to see if there is a white build-up (mineral) around them. You can usually see it where the faucet is set into the sink and also around the drain. My showerhead and also coffeemaker would get white build-up. A showerhead filter helped a lot but if that isn't an option you could try a borax rinse. I used to use 1 teaspoon to 1 cup of hot water, stir and dissolve and let cool. I would pour that over my hair and even my upper arms would feel silky afterwards. I read about it on this on NC.com and it really worked for me.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
    I've never even heard of that before.
    Thanks so much!
    I might try keracare.
    I'm getting my hair straighten and that's what my stylist recommended.
    CurlySia wrote: »
    I got it from Soultanicals directly. Ayo has amazing sales so I just follow on FB and wait until she does a sale with no minimum free shipping to get products from her line I've been wanting to try.

Thanks for the tip CurlySia. I haven't visited my FB page in ages, but it sure does come in handy. :)
    I might try keracare.
    I'm getting my hair straighten and that's what my stylist recommended.

Keracare's shampoo and conditioners are excellent!

Whenever I use heat for styling I whip out the good stuff and reach for Keracare's 1st lather shampoo (probably the best clarifier on the market for dry hair) and the hydrating detangling shampoo to follow up. Since you have fine hair, you'll definitely want to use the double shampoo method with both of those products.

My husband has very dry scalp and skin around the edges of his hairline (could be psoriasis). So he uses the Dry Itchy Scalp shampoo by Keracare, which has zinc pyrithione as an active ingredient. That's very good also.

Good luck! I can't wait to see what works for you.
    I bought the 1st lather shampoo and the leave in conditioner.
    I might buy the detangling shampoo to use after also since I'm scared of tangles.
    I kinda wanted to try the zinc shampoo since I get flakes on my scalp about 3 or 4 days after styling.
    I'm not sure if it's dry scalp or dandruff.
    I bought the 1st lather shampoo and the leave in conditioner.
    I might buy the detangling shampoo to use after also since I'm scared of tangles.
    I kinda wanted to try the zinc shampoo since I get flakes on my scalp about 3 or 4 days after styling.
    I'm not sure if it's dry scalp or dandruff.

Yes, definitely get the hydrating detangling shampoo. It helps to re-establish the ph balance of your hair after using the clarifier. And that stuff detangles like a slippery conditioner. Plus I'm loving the new formulation without the sulfates. It definitely seems more gentle.

Zinc shampoos are good for everyone to maintain scalp health. I know of people with both psoriasis and just regular dandruff that use that Kera Dry Itchy scalp shampoo so it shouldn't matter. But a good way to determine which you have is to look at the size of the flakes. If they are scaly and oily, then its dandruff. If you just get dots, than its a dry scalp. People with psoriasis, on other hand, produce excess skin, so they literally have skin peeling and flaking off.

Here's an article from Cosmo (in this month's issue) discussing scalp health, which you may find helpful.
    I want to say it's dandruff or psoriasis.
    On my scalp, I feel like small clumps of scaley flakes that I can peel off with my fingers.
    Does it dry the hair out badly?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file