CG or Water Only Method

coshun2003coshun2003 Posts: 199Registered Users
Hi Curlies,
Anyone doing either of these methods? What's your experience? Any advice? I'm leaning more towards CG but am interested in the benefits of water only as well.
:love1:3c/4a Hair
Last Relaxer: April 25, 2009
BC: December 20, 2009
5yrs Natural
2nd BC planned for 6yr Naturalversary

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,528Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I used to do water-only washing but then switched to CG. My hair would get a little greasy from the water-only washing, which is why I switched. I also got tired of having to massage my scalp pretty intensely every day to break up the sebum, which was very labor intensive.

When I did water-only washing, I did not know that you weren't supposed to brush wavy hair, so I would use a boar bristle brush to help distribute the sebum down the hair shaft prior to water-only washing. I would then use water as hot as I could stand to soften the sebum, and then I would alternate between hot and cold water as I massaged my scalp to try to break up the sebum. I could feel the glob of sebum slowly travel down the hair shaft as I massaged. After I felt like the sebum was no longer in clumps in my hair and was distributed down the shaft, I would finish with a cold-water rinse. I often didn't need conditioner because the sebum kept my hair well moisturized.

What I like about CG is that it seems to clean the hair and scalp better than water-only, so I can take days off from washing and just refresh my hair. With water-only, I had to wash every day because the sebum would build up. But I can tell that my hair is drier than it was with water-only washing; I think my hair really liked that protective sebum! I am trying to compensate for that by wetting my hair a bit each night and adding some leave-in so that it soaks in during the night. That seems to be helping.

I am also starting to experiment with preening, which is giving yourself a scalp massage and then pulling the oils from the scalp down the hair shaft with your fingers (rather than a brush). This would eliminate the brush problem but also help me utilize my sebum better. I did this recently a couple of nights before bed, and it gave me nice volume and kept my hair well moisturized the next day. But I'm not 100% sure it was the preening--maybe it was a more favorable dewpoint. I'm going to keep trying this and see what happens.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • CoililanaCoililana Posts: 66Registered Users
    I've only tried CG (for three years to be exact). "Water only" just doesn't seem hygienic to me.

I would advise before picking a method consider if you have any particular scalp issues, ex: psoriasis, eczema, extremely dry/ oily scalp. Neither of these methods would be ideal,IMHO unless you modify the CG routine to include shampooing.

Also, if you have fine hair prone to breakage like I do, you need to clarify more frequently to also remove build-up from your hair. It might seem counter intuitive to people with dry hair trying to build up moisture. But it's a must! Your hair will be more responsive to products and you won't get the build up. Just follow up with a deep conditioning treatment every time.

Now as for CG, I did it for three years, as I stated previously and it was okay, but I have definitely made some modifications. The biggest one was going back to cones and frequent shampooing with sulfate shampoos. If you have normal or coarse hair and a normal scalp, you should be fine with the CG method. Some people use Shea Moisture's African black soap mask as a clarifier for their scalp or Apple Cider Vinegar, which I never tried, so unfortunately I can't attest to it. But just assess your situation and then began experimenting to see what will work for you. No two heads are the same.
    4A-C, Fine/ Fragile/ Prone to Breakage , Extra Dry & Coily :afro:
  • coshun2003coshun2003 Posts: 199Registered Users
    Wow thanks for sharing your experience. I didn't realize that the water only method was such work. I like the fact though that it keeps your hair moisturized without product. I've been washing with only water but adding a leave inorder to finger detangle. I normally add oil and gel for defintion but haven't felt the need to. I've been getting great results so far as my hair seems to be enjoying the use of less product. I'm gonna keep doing this for a few more weeks and see if the same results continue.
    5yrs Natural
    Coshun2003, maybe water-only washing isn't as much work for others as it was for me. I just remember my hands and arms getting so tired, because I would have to really scrub every day in the shower. Everyone's scalp is different; mine seemed to really like to produce a lot of sebum! If yours doesn't produce as much, you might not have to scrub as much.

I will also say one thing as far as smell: some people are concerned that their hair will smell bad if they don't wash. I didn't have that happen to me at all. In fact, over time, my hair developed what I considered to be a pleasant odor--I seem to remember it smelling just slightly like cilantro, lol. I liked it. The only time my hair developed a bad odor was when I wasn't using hot-enough water to wash it and it started to smell kind of mildewy, which was pretty yucky. Using hotter water to get rid of excess oil fixed that.

Your post (and someone else's, can't remember whose) has been making me think about trying water-only washing again. Although it was more work for me, I did feel like I had more moisturized hair, and right now both my scalp and hair feel pretty parched, even though I condition well. I did water-only washing last time I was due for a wash (I still needed conditioner after I was done, just not as much as usual), and I will probably continue it for the time being. So thanks for bringing this back to my attention.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
  • coshun2003coshun2003 Posts: 199Registered Users
    You're welcome! I'm wanting to have a very simple routine but still great results as I've gotten out of the phase of being obsessed with products. I'm looking for the most natural route as well and nothing is more natural than water right. Do you use any type of oil because I've been watching YouTube and I've seen people adding coconut oil to the washing process?
    5yrs Natural
    I tried using oils, but they didn't work well for me--left my hair greasy. But my hair is very fine and is easily weighed down. However, I am starting to discover that my hair doesn't like oils alone or water-based products alone--it likes them in combination. A few weeks ago, I added oil to my damp, refreshed hair before letting it air dry, and I had amazing results. I am wondering if the success had to do with my adding the oil to the damp hair instead of to dry hair. So I need to check that out again.

I also want to try adding oil back in to my washday regimen, both as a prepoo (sunflower works well for me) and in styling. As I was preening my hair the other day, I could feel the rough patches on the hair shafts, and those patches got smooth as I pulled the sebum down from the roots. So I reasoned that if I don't want to preen before washing (whether water-only or co-washing), I should smooth a little oil on my canopy instead.

I might also try putting some oils back in during the styling process--I had tried that before and it made my hair greasy, but that was in summer, when everything seemed to make my hair greasy! I think that my hair has very different needs in winter vs. summer, so oil might be the ticket now.

I don't have much luck with coconut oil on its own because it makes my hair crispy; it does that for some people. Sunflower oil is supposed to be just as good at penetrating the hair shaft, so that is what I use instead. I can use coconut oil in products, however; it's just when it's alone that it's a problem.

The oils I've used on my hair are generally oil blends. I've used the Beautiful Curls Shining Curl Oil, which I think is sesame, shea, and rosemary, and a blend from Waleda that has rosemary also--can't remember what else is in it. I haven't used them for quite a while, though. It can be tricky, because you need to try them in different ways--prepoo, in wet hair as a styler, in damp hair as refresher, in dry hair, mixed into products, etc.--to see if you can get them to work for you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file