2A thin, fine hair- help!

Kelle23Kelle23 Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi there, I'm 42 and had gastric bypass surgery 11 years ago. Prior to surgery I had thick, course, curly hair. After the weight loss and anesthesia my hair is wavy, thin and fine. I've kept it short most of my life, first to deal with frizz and now to deal with flatness and add volume. My boyfriend wants to me to try and grow it out and I'm into the idea as well. I am going to go for a shoulder length bob with no layers....a hairdresser friend of mine suggested Paul Mitchell tea tree thickening shampoo, but I need recommendations for light conditioners, spray in or wash in/out. The products I'm using now are very conditioning but heavy. This hair change has been really difficult to deal with. I spent the first 31 years of my life trying to tamp down frizzy curls and the last 11 trying to deal with fine, thin hair. The struggle is real :)

Comments

• chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    Try some Tresseme Naturals or I love MopTop Daily, Jessicurl Aloba, Giovanni Chic (green bottle), or V05 kiwi. Those are all pretty light but good.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • CoililanaCoililana Registered Users Posts: 66
    Wow, you've been through a lot. I'm glad that you are on the road to recovery.

You might want to try Macadamia Professional's weightless leave in spray treatment. A lot of companies have started weightless moisture lines so there is definitely room for experimentation.

I'm a 4a-c but I have fragile hair prone to breakage so I tend to experiment with a lot of products that won't cause build up.

Also, I alternate with Ojon's damage reverse thickening shampoo. I highly recommend it, if you want to try something other than Paul Mitchell.

All the best!
    4A-C, Fine/ Fragile/ Prone to Breakage , Extra Dry & Coily :afro:
  • BabyfineBabyfine Registered Users Posts: 149 Curl Novice
    Chupie's suggestions are very good. My hair is also very thin.(2A and fine)
    I shampoo with Nioxin step 4- 1 time a week and either CO(V05 Kiwi Lime) or low poo the other 2 times. (total 3X a week)
    I use the Nioxin scalp leave in after every shampoo or CO.
    I also take GNC hair skin and nails vitamins.
    I try to do scalp massages when I remember.
    My stylist told me my hair seems slightly thicker my last trim!!
    So I'm going in the right direction even though I'm post menopausal.
    I recommend the Nioxin line although it is a shampoo with sulfates and A-cones. I'm not CG, alas, my scalp won't let me.
    But it's helped me.
    I'm looking for more curl, body, volume, and shine-a miracle really.
    Poos" Nioxin, Devacurl, Jessicurl
    Leave in: Ouidad Moisture Lock/B'leavein
    Rinse out: VO5 Kiwi Lime, Mane and Tail,Too Shea
    Mousse: Oscar Blandi Hair Life, Ouidad Playcurl
    Gel: Devacurl Light defining gel
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Registered Users Posts: 9,777 Curl Virtuoso
    I was reading recently that thin or thick hair has to do with the hair follicle. No amount of what you put on your hair is not going to make it thicker. Maybe if coated it can appear thicker, temporarily. I think that is why the scalp is so important.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file