Question about aloe?

I want to start incorporating Aloe Vera into my routine because my hair and scalp are so dry. The brand that I'm planning on buying is called, "Lily of The Desert: Aloe Vera Gel."

The only thing is that it says that it needs to be refrigerated. Does that mean I would have to store the aloe bottle and the spray bottle with aloe and water stored in the fridge? Or do I not need to do that because I'm not ingesting it? I'm new to incorpatating natural products in my regimen, so I really appericiate any help. :angel9:
Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
  • Giovanni: Avocado and Olive Oil (RO), Tea Tree Sham & Con (CW/RO)
  • KC: KT, CC, CC
  • CR: CM, GR, AWB, Balm
  • CJ: DF, CIAB, SL, CR
  • CURLS: Souffle
  • AV Juice
  • EVOO

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,387Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I would maybe mix up a small bottle of aloe and water and see how it goes. If it smells "off" after a while, you'll know that you'll need to store it in the fridge. I would definitely keep the gel itself in the fridge, though, and just mix up spray as necessary.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • bookgrdngirlbookgrdngirl Posts: 403Registered Users
    Therese1 wrote: »
    I would maybe mix up a small bottle of aloe and water and see how it goes. If it smells "off" after a while, you'll know that you'll need to store it in the fridge. I would definitely keep the gel itself in the fridge, though, and just mix up spray as necessary.

Thanks so much, Therese! I may end up buying a different aloe instead that doesn't need refrigeration just to be safe. If I end up buying the 32oz bottle, I'll definitely keep the bottle refrigerated. I'll do some more research then decide! :)
    Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
    • Giovanni: Avocado and Olive Oil (RO), Tea Tree Sham & Con (CW/RO)
    • KC: KT, CC, CC
    • CR: CM, GR, AWB, Balm
    • CJ: DF, CIAB, SL, CR
    • CURLS: Souffle
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    The thing I like about Lily of the Desert is that it contains very few preservatives. The aloe that doesn't have to be refrigerated often has quite a bit of other stuff in it, and I have no idea what it would do to hair. I used to rinse my hair with an aloe-water mixture after shampooing, and I just got in the habit of mixing up what I needed right before showering, so I never had to worry about the aloe going bad.

By the way, aloe is quite acidic, so you will want to be sure that you dilute it 1:1 with water so that the pH isn't too acidic for your hair. I think I read this on the Hair Science-y Blog.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
  • Curlista93Curlista93 Posts: 398Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've always kept both the aloe & the aloe mixture in the fridge.
    4a/3c, Low Porosity, Fine Texture
  • Karina1987Karina1987 Posts: 28Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    As for me I prefer using the natural aloe vera. I often use it for my skin as Aloe leaves contain a plethora of antioxidants including beta carotene, vitamin C and E that can help improve the skin's natural firmness and keep the skin hydrated.Aloe moisturizes my skin well without giving it a greasy feel. As far as I know it`s perfect for anyone with an oily skin complexion. For women who use mineral-based make-up, aloe vera acts as a moisturizer. It also prevents skin drying.
    I have been storing it in the refrigerator, the natural plant's leaves I mean.
    Would you like to know how to care about your skin with natural products? Read about skin care philosophy here https://ambrossimo.com/skin_care-for_beautiful_skin/
  • merlenmerlen Posts: 3Registered Users
    I mix the aloe with coconut oil and apply over the hair. It works well.
  • StraightPassingStraightPassing Posts: 76Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I was going to ask about that. I got an aloe plant recently and decided I wanted to finally make use of the gel. I was planning on doing a DIY deep conditioner with aloe gel, coconut oil, honey and some of the Garnier ultimate blends cocoa butter conditioner I have, all mixed together. Is the oil and honey enough to keep the aloe well preserved and as my hair is low porosity would that possibly all together be too moisturising? Should I heat it first so everything mixes and warm the bottle in warm water before use? :)
    I would just mix up enough of the concoction for one use, so you won't have to worry about whether the aloe will be preserved by the other ingredients.

The only way to know whether the mixture will be too moisturizing is to try it. So much of hair care is experimentation.

If you heat it first, that should cause it to penetrate better, so you could definitely give that a try. I myself am lazy with heating up stuff, but I should try it sometime and see how it compares to my usual DTs. Maybe try this mixture once without heating it up and then next time try it with heating it up so that you can see the difference.
    edited March 15
    Ok great. Thanks. :)
    Thanks! :)
  • CurledvinesCurledvines Posts: 60Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Refrigeration is your friend, seriously. And the moment you add water even more so.
    2C/3A long hair with some 3C thrown in
    High Porosity, dense, coarse hair
    I make my own protein masks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file