Not defined curls?

Hello there, I've been reading things from the site on and off but this is my first post and I was not sure where exactly to post it...
So, I've started the no poo method since August and even tho it's been a hell of ride it's currently working. Or so I think.
When I started, baking soda and honey almost fried my hair and it started falling uncontrollably but now I use rye flour and ACV and it's ok. I also use avocado,yogurt and coconut masks regularly.
The only problem that I have is that my curls won't stay defined.
After my shower I use flaxseed gel and it makes my hair shiny and more curly but a couple of hours later my curls are "faded" the shine is gone and are frizzy.
I don't know what to do.. If I won't use the flaxseed gel it would be that way from the beginning... so If you have any advice I would really appreciate it.

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    This is what happens to me if I don't use a gel with enough hold to seal the hair off from the environment. It sounds to me like you need another gel on top of the flaxseed gel, or maybe you could put some kind of holding agent in with the flaxseed gel. I think I have heard of people putting agave nectar in that gel, although if you have high humidity that is not supposed to hold that well (it becomes sticky). Have you looked at the flaxseed recipes on the Science-y Hair Blog? I think she gives suggestions for hold.

You could also try putting a light layer of oil on your hair before topping it with the flaxseed gel. That would also create a barrier with the environment. Some people use coconut oil, I think, although coconut oil is supposed to penetrate the hair shaft, so I don't know if it acts as that great of a sealant (I've never tried it like that). Shea butter sits on top of the hair so would be a good sealant, but I don't know that it would be very easy to apply to wet hair, as it is a pretty dense, dry product on its own. I would just experiment with some of the oils you have on hand (try the avocado; some people use apricot kernel oil, if you have any) and see if that makes any difference.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • bookgrdngirlbookgrdngirl Posts: 403Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was struggling with those same issues. The LOC method really helped me! Like Therese mentioned, you may need a sealant! The LOC method is a way to keep your hair moisturized! Moisturized hair has better definition, more a 'shiny' look, and is much healthier for your hair! :)

Here's an article about the LOC method.

What type of products and routines are you doing?
    Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
    • Giovanni: Avocado and Olive Oil (RO), Tea Tree Sham & Con (CW/RO)
    • KC: KT, CC, CC
    • CR: CM, GR, AWB, Balm
    • CJ: DF, CIAB, SL, CR
    • CURLS: Souffle
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
  • SiaKSiaK Posts: 3Registered Users
    Therese1, Thanks for your detailed answer :) I'll experiment with your suggestions and see If they work but I'm hesitant about using oils because my hair becomes greasy without even realizing. Also they're a nightmare to rinse off because I'm no poo-ing so I tend to avoid them and when I do use them is not from root to ends...
    And another issue is that sometimes my hair is just too soft. When it's so soft it has no body and becomes frizzy instantly. Oils are also supposed to soften hair, won't that make them worse?

bookgrdngirl thank you for the link and your suggestions. During the last 4 months no product has touched my hair because I went completely product free. But even before that no product seem to work with my hair + I don't have access to many holy graill products other curlies have because I live in Greece.. If you have any styling products to recomend I would really apreciate it tho
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Yes, it's possible that the oils might make your hair softer. If you want to try it, I would just use a few drops, because then you shouldn't make the hair so greasy that you can't rinse it out with your regular method.

I have the same problem with fine, limp, soft hair. I've always had to use a styler of some sort, as well as some kind of texturizer (heavier product) to add a little weight. My hair looks horrible without a gel. I like the Max Green Alchemy Sculpting Gel. It is water soluble so would come out easily without shampoo. Is that available to you?
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • SiaKSiaK Posts: 3Registered Users
    Yeah, found it on amazon. Thanks again :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file