Inexpensive and gentle low poo recs

wavypenwavypen Posts: 253Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I've been having trouble with buildup and hair acting funny and so on for a while now, and where I live now is worse than where I lived before even though they get water from the same source and the last place was older. Cowashing has not been working. I have some good low cost low poos but these are not particularly gentle (though probably gentler than sulfate shampoos), but I know low poos can be really gentle (deva low poo for example), but I am on a budget and cannot afford expensive products. I also do not have good luck watering things down much because when they get too thin they run too much. Any ideas? I'm in a city on the East Coast of the US and I have access to drug stores, target, Walmart, Sally's, trader joes, indie beauty supply stores and more.

Comments

• Hannah.ReillHannah.Reill Posts: 37Registered Users
    Have you tried Shea Moisture shampoos? The ones I've tried are pretty gentle but leave my hair feeling clean. I like the Fruit Fusion (only at Ulta right now) and Manuka Honey ones, haven't actually tried the Coconut Hibiscus or Moisture Retention yet but I've heard good things.

I like Kinky Curly's Come Clean too, which I got at Target. Would definitely help with build up.

I don't know if the the Trader Joe's Tea Tree shampoo is sulfate free, I've only tried the conditioner, but that might be a good inexpensive option too!
    2Bish, very thick! CG since 8/2014

Favorites:
    Shampoo: SheaMoisture, Original Moxie
    Cowash: As I Am Cowash
    Conditioner/Leave-in: CJ Smoothing Lotion, Original Moxie Everyday
    Stylers: Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha, Jessicurl Spiralicious, Original Moxie
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A 2nd vote for SM FF weightless shampoo. TJ TTT shampoo is another I've used, but the SM is my fav.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • wavypenwavypen Posts: 253Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the advice. I can easily try most Shea Moisture low poos, and there are Ultas here, but very inconvenient for me to get to. So I might be trying other low poos of theirs before I can pick up any fruit fusion. Trader Joes is easier from where I am.
  • stormstorm Posts: 204Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just started using my little ones shampoo . It is cheap, cleans well and is super gentle on the scalp. It also does not have ingredients that can build up and rinses clean. I alternate it with Neutrogena t Gel to remove build up.
    Its called
    Disney Daily renewals baby shampoo .

I cannot paste links here but you can google for that.
  • curlynccurlync Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried Shea Moisture shampoos? The ones I've tried are pretty gentle but leave my hair feeling clean. I like the Fruit Fusion (only at Ulta right now) and Manuka Honey ones, haven't actually tried the Coconut Hibiscus or Moisture Retention yet but I've heard good things.

I'll have to check out my Ulta today! I've actually wanted to try the Fruit Fusion shampoo so stopped at 3 different close-by places I know carry SM (target, walgreens, sally's), but none had the Fruit Fusion. Ulta's a little out of my way, but hopefully they'll have it! I know I can always order online - I just didn't feel like it.
    2c/3a
    Porosity: low at roots; normal mid-shaft; high at ends
    Texture: mix of medium & coarse
    Density: medium

Low-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather; CJ Gentle Cleansing
    RO: GVP Conditioning Balm; Innersense Color Radiance
    Stylers: MT Curly Custard; CHS Curl Keeper; UFD Curly Magic; Innersense I Create Volume

Occasional use: CJ Repair Me; Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo

CG (or mod CG since I low-poo?) since June 2015
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Also as for diluting I just picked up an applicator bottle from Sally's and mix in that. Then you can just point that nozzle right to wherever. Works slick.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Posts: 143Registered Users
    curlync wrote: »

I'll have to check out my Ulta today! I've actually wanted to try the Fruit Fusion shampoo so stopped at 3 different close-by places I know carry SM (target, walgreens, sally's), but none had the Fruit Fusion. Ulta's a little out of my way, but hopefully they'll have it! I know I can always order online - I just didn't feel like it.

I'm another vote for SM FF shampoo! The only place you can buy that one is Ulta as far as I know. Make sure you print out coupons! They usually have a $3.50 off $10 so that will help. Also, stock up the next time they're on sale!

I tend to alternate between that one and the coconut and hibiscus one.
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

• curlynccurlync Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    curlync wrote: »

I'm another vote for SM FF shampoo! The only place you can buy that one is Ulta as far as I know. Make sure you print out coupons! They usually have a $3.50 off $10 so that will help. Also, stock up the next time they're on sale!

I tend to alternate between that one and the coconut and hibiscus one.

Just went to Ulta and got some today - can't wait to try it tomorrow! I've been using shampoo bars with good results (good once dry) but am getting sick of the sticky feeling when wet, and needing to use an ACV rinse before I can even thick about trying to get conditioner through.
    2c/3a
    Porosity: low at roots; normal mid-shaft; high at ends
    Texture: mix of medium & coarse
    Density: medium

Low-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather; CJ Gentle Cleansing
    RO: GVP Conditioning Balm; Innersense Color Radiance
    Stylers: MT Curly Custard; CHS Curl Keeper; UFD Curly Magic; Innersense I Create Volume

Occasional use: CJ Repair Me; Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo

CG (or mod CG since I low-poo?) since June 2015
  • EverydayCurlsEverydayCurls Posts: 301Registered Users Curl Novice
    I really recommend Pacifica Body Wash as a low-poo (I have it in Island Vanilla). It lathers a lot, surprisingly, and washes well and leaves my hair feeling healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Products:

• Homemade Shampoo
    • Nature's Gate Biotin Conditioner
    • AG Recoil Curl Activator
    • AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

www.joyfulmeadow.com

www.facebook.com/joyfulmeadow

www.instagram.com/joyful.meadow

• bookgrdngirlbookgrdngirl Posts: 403Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I definitely also recommend Shea Moisture's shampoos for gentle sulfate free shampoos! CVS and Walgreen's often have BOGO sales. Ulta usually has
    'Buy 1, Get One Half Off' sales (which they currently have running right now) on Shea Moisture, as well. Target usually has coupons on their coupon app and sales too!
    Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
    • Giovanni: Avocado and Olive Oil (RO), Tea Tree Sham & Con (CW/RO)
    • KC: KT, CC, CC
    • CR: CM, GR, AWB, Balm
    • CJ: DF, CIAB, SL, CR
    • CURLS: Souffle
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file