Overconditioning & Wet Hair

russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hi All,

So, recently I got a Ouidad cut for my 2B/2C hair. It had been a while since I'd been growing out my layers and length for my wedding hair style. Since I've got it cut (I have far less bulk of hair) and my strands are already fine (I just have a lot of them). I'm doing everything pretty much the same as before- i.e. cowash, condition, deep condition once a week, protein conditioner once a week and then a leave-in and a gel on top.

Over the last week, I've noticed my hair being super overconditioned (which sucks). I have a few questions about it...

1) Is it possible for your hair to 'get used' to particular products and then not react well to them?
2) Is it possible that older products don't work as well (I think I've had my leave-in for over a year)?
3) I've been diffusing (or half diffusing) my hair with a hair dryer on low heat but it just takes SO LONG to dry that sometimes I go out with wet hair. I live in a rainy, cold, humid environment, so I'm wondering if letting it just stay wet like that for so long is making it overconditioned?

If anyone has any ideas, tips, tricks for me I would be supremely grateful.

Thanks!
2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran

Comments

• stormstorm Posts: 204Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I dont think our hair gets used to stuff as much as products used repeatedly can build-up. Silicones arent the only things that build up.
    Polymers, polyquats , quartenary salts (Cetrimonium chloride,Behentrimonium Methosulfate) even some oils and butters etc all leave a slight residue that isnt always water soluble and doesnt come out with co-wash. (Experience)
    Is your hair overly soft but still tangles and limp at times? Frizz? You might need a low poo or to clarify.
    Build up is definitely more like if you have fine or even low porosity hair. Letting it air dry does not affect or lead to over conditioning.. the products we use mostly do.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file