Massive Frizz Issues

beckycollettebeckycollette Posts: 9Registered Users
Hi,
I am having some massive frizz issues. I always have a layer of frizz around every strand of hair and no matter what I do I can't seem to get rid of it. I have also noticed that recently I don't seem to have any shine to my hair. I was going to attach a photo but it doesn't seem to let me.

On my last wash, I used Ketopine shampoo, as was prescribed by my doctor for the dandruff that was building up in my hair and Shea Moisture Organic African Black Soap Purification Masque as a deep conditioner for the first time. I massaged it into my hair for about 15 minutes, then put on a heat retaining cap and stood under hot water for another 15 minutes. I then raked in LA Looks sports gel before diffusing.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. When I had my hair deva cut by Matthew James, he somehow managed to take literally all the frizz out and the only differences in our methods were that he used the devacurl gel and he put me under a hooded dryer. So I am wondering if this is what I need?

I was thinking of trying a protein treatment as I have never tried one before but I have heard that they are bad for low porosity hair and can make it drier. I was considering Curl Junkie Repair Me! Reconstructive Hair Treatment?

I would really appreciate some suggestions as I am getting very desperate.

Comments

• GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Posts: 312Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You could very well need a protein treatment. The only thing you use that has protein is your gel. Over moisturized hair will appear cottony and will stretch easily and snap. Maybe try tugging on your shed hair to see if it is lacking in protein. Balanced hair should give a little, then return to natural when stretched. Also, your shampoo could be roughing up your hair and causing frizz. However, it has been prescribed so there's not much you can do there.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
  • beckycollettebeckycollette Posts: 9Registered Users
    Thanks so much for your advice, Kayla!
    I don't think it is the shampoo because I was only using Shea Moisture shampoo once a month before and it was still just as frizzy.
    I just tried tugging on my shed hair - it doesn't seem to stretch or snap very easily. It actually seems quite coarse and resilient?
    Are there any protein treatments that you would recommend that are not too expensive but also won't leave my hair too dry? Thank you!
  • GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Posts: 312Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If your hair responded in that way then your hair is probably balanced. You won't need a hard core treatment. In the past I have used ORS Replenishing Conditioner. It has protein but is light enough to use weekly. You can also just buy a pack of it to try it out. I'm currently rotating the Shea moisture JBCO mask for deep conditioning. Like the ORS, it has protein but isn't hard core. I haven't tried ORS mayo or Ion effective care conditioner but I've heard great things about these as well.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I wonder if your diffusing method could use some tweaking. Moving the dryer around a lot while you diffuse can cause frizz. I like to hold the dryer in one spot for maybe a whole minute before moving it to the next spot. Some people even shut off the dryer before moving it to the next spot, and starting it back up only after the dryer is in place. Do you think this would help?
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • MeiMei Posts: 259Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Glycerin was the reason I had bad frizz problems. Now that I've minimized the amount of glycerin in my hair products, my frizz has greatly diminished.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • beckycollettebeckycollette Posts: 9Registered Users
    If your hair responded in that way then your hair is probably balanced. You won't need a hard core treatment. In the past I have used ORS Replenishing Conditioner. It has protein but is light enough to use weekly. You can also just buy a pack of it to try it out. I'm currently rotating the Shea moisture JBCO mask for deep conditioning. Like the ORS, it has protein but isn't hard core. I haven't tried ORS mayo or Ion effective care conditioner but I've heard great things about these as well.

Thanks! I have ordered the Olive Oil ORS replenishing conditioner. Really hoping it'll work.
    Therese1 wrote: »
    I wonder if your diffusing method could use some tweaking. Moving the dryer around a lot while you diffuse can cause frizz. I like to hold the dryer in one spot for maybe a whole minute before moving it to the next spot. Some people even shut off the dryer before moving it to the next spot, and starting it back up only after the dryer is in place. Do you think this would help?

I do already use the method where I shut it off before moving onto the next spot but it obviously isn't working. Also even when I don't use the diffuser I have a lot of frizz, so I feel like the diffuser itself is not the problem?
    Mei wrote: »
    Glycerin was the reason I had bad frizz problems. Now that I've minimized the amount of glycerin in my hair products, my frizz has greatly diminished.

Oh really? Most of my products seem to have glycerin in them. Can I ask what products you use?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file