Cowash and thinning: will my hair grow back?

Maria240Maria240 Registered Users Posts: 20
My hair has thinned out a great deal the past few months.

Last spring I began cowashing and was losing huge amounts of hair in the shower but kept on with the regimen anyway.

A couple of weeks ago, I finally gave up, and switched back to sls and/or sulfate-free shampoos.

Since then it has stopped shedding in huge amounts in the shower.

I cowashed last night (for the sake of science) and the same thing happened - I shed a ton of hair.

Because of this, I now feel pretty sure cowashing is the main cause of my currently thinned hair. I am beginning to worry that I have done permanent damage.

So I am hoping to hear your opinions about whether I have a chance of regaining my hair's former thickness?

Has anyone else quit cowashing (due to thinning) and then had their hair grow back?

Thanks so much for reading xx

Maria

Comments

• kellllykelllly Registered Users Posts: 11
    Most people will tell you that cowashing will not cause you to loose more hair but it did me. I cowashed or four months two years ago and lost a lot of hair. I stopped and immediately started loosing a normal amount. Now I see a low poo. In between I often use conditioner to basically cowash the length of my hair without rubbing it in my scalp without problems. My hair did grow back in.
  • kellllykelllly Registered Users Posts: 11
    Stupid phone; I cowashed for four months and I use a low poo not see one.
  • Maria240Maria240 Registered Users Posts: 20
    kelllly wrote: »
    Most people will tell you that cowashing will not cause you to loose more hair but it did me. I cowashed or four months two years ago and lost a lot of hair. I stopped and immediately started loosing a normal amount. Now I see a low poo. In between I often use conditioner to basically cowash the length of my hair without rubbing it in my scalp without problems. My hair did grow back in.

Hi kelllly, thanks so much for your reply. I really appreciate it, especially since it has been almost 2 years since you stopped; there seem to be quite a few articles and posts where people talk about recently quitting cowashing (because of thinning), but not much at all about what happens over time.

It's so good that your hair grew back! I hope to be as lucky, and that others have been, too. :)

I like the idea of cowashing just the ends between shampoos, I might give it a try at some point. Ty for the tip!
  • Maria240Maria240 Registered Users Posts: 20
    kelllly wrote: »
    Stupid phone; I cowashed for four months and I use a low poo not see one.

:) This is exactly the relationship I have with my phone

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file