condition washes and leave ins are taking out my RC color!

CurlycarolineCurlycaroline Posts: 60Registered Users
Can anyone who uses Robert Craig color tell me a great color-friendly conditioner and leave-in conditioner to use? My hair is sort of 3A and very fine and it needs a lot of help to be curly. I was told that anything with protein will take out the color, so I'm careful not to use that. So here are my questions!

1. I was also told to go easy with oil. Does that mean oiling your hair when it's dry or oil in the conditioner???

2. I fell in love with one product that had glycerin in it that really boosted my curls but made the color come out in the shower. It seems to me the ones I've been using that make my curls the curliest, aren't so color friendly.

Sigh...what's a curlyhead to do? Can anyone help? Thanks so much.
Caroline

Comments

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    answers in BOLD:
    Can anyone who uses Robert Craig color tell me a great color-friendly conditioner and leave-in conditioner to use? My hair is sort of 3A and very fine and it needs a lot of help to be curly. I was told that anything with protein will take out the color, so I'm careful not to use that. So here are my questions!

Robert Craig's Conditioner, as a rinse-out and leave-in (it's one of the top on laurabeth's conditioner chronicles!)
    :D

1. I was also told to go easy with oil. Does that mean oiling your hair when it's dry or oil in the conditioner???

Both, nothing heavy in oils as it can lift the Color.

2. I fell in love with one product that had glycerin in it that really boosted my curls but made the color come out in the shower. It seems to me the ones I've been using that make my curls the curliest, aren't so color friendly.

I use CK which has glycerin, but don't notice much color rinsing out. My gel also had jojoba oil in it. I think it's usually not as bad with stylers as it is with conditioners, but I also know that Curls Rock stylers pull my Color right out! :eek:

Sigh...what's a curlyhead to do? Can anyone help? Thanks so much.
    Caroline

Which product with glycerin is it? It could be other stuff in it that's reacting too. Another thing is just to not use that styler right after coloring, as in wait a day or 2, use something else in the meantime. HTH
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What made a difference for me was applying the color on totally and I mean totally naked hair. I washed it the night before, conditioned, rinsed out and plopped. I use Robert Craig conditoner as a rinseout and also a leave-in and I love it. And I do use oils almost every day but have had very little color fading/stripping off my shaft this time around. I think it was because the color application really "stuck". I also use honey occasionally
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    What made a difference for me was applying the color on totally and I mean totally naked hair. I washed it the night before, conditioned, rinsed out and plopped. I use Robert Craig conditoner as a rinseout and also a leave-in and I love it. And I do use oils almost every day but have had very little color fading/stripping off my shaft this time around. I think it was because the color application really "stuck". I also use honey occasionally

Even better when you skip the conditioner before coloring. They suggest that you wash only, no conditioner or stylers at all. :) Really makes a difference.
  • CurlycarolineCurlycaroline Posts: 60Registered Users
    I thought I had posted a thank you but it isn't showing up, so here it is again. You guys are brilliant! I just ordered the RC conditioner. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    Caroline
    You're welcome! :)
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CurliLocks wrote:

Even better when you skip the conditioner before coloring. They suggest that you wash only, no conditioner or stylers at all. :) Really makes a difference.

I'll try that; I'm coloring this weekend.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • LucilleLucille Posts: 588Registered Users
    I use whatever product I want without any problems. However, I color my hair on washed hair with no conditioner used afterwards, and I leave the color on my roots for a full hour. Fading is not a problem at all.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file