Hair dry after first co-wash?

Vors26Vors26 Registered Users Posts: 3
Hi everyone,

I'm new on here, I signed up because I end up having a LOT of questions, but the main one right now is why is my hair dry after I just did a co-wash?

It's not the first time I've ever co-washed, but it's the first time I've co-washed after doing the CG method (with a low poo shampoo - the JessiCurl one)

So I bought the V05 silky experiences conditioner, because I heard they were light, and to be honest I didn't realise I was supposed to co-wash until the other day! So I tried it out and it actually washed my hair really well, and I was super happy with it. I followed up with my usual conditioner (Too Shea! by JessiCurl). I used LA looks extreme gel for my gel, and just more of the Too Shea! as a leave in (although sometimes it's a bit heavy for my hair). Anyways, my hair ended up being really dry compared to when I washed it the other day with the JessiCurl Shampoo and Too Shea! + LA Looks extreme sports gel. What happened??? I thought after using two conditioners in my hair it would be way more moisturised, not worse!

The only other thing would be that I did a Gelatin treatment for the first time the other day, but it was after that, that I did the above routine with the JessiCurl shampoo, and my hair was soft and hydrated then! More so than usual even. So confused about this! I was just going through an old thread on here about before/after curly pictures, and so many people with awesome hair used the cowash method, so that's why I wanted to try it!

Comments

• BeautyOGBeautyOG Registered Users Posts: 383 Curl Neophyte
    It may have been the wrong conditioner for you. (Ex: Everyone loves Aussie Moist they say it's so moisturizing, my hair hates it! It makes my hair dry )

Sent from my QMV7B using CurlTalk App
    My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

• Vors26Vors26 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Ugh that just complicates things! :P

One thing I really like using is the Kinky Curly line, but I don't know how I'd be able to do a cowash with that. I know some people mix and match the Kinky Curly products with other products, but I'm not ready for that kind of experimentation just yet :/

I guess another thing it could have been is that I've been using all natural products in my hair, and the LA looks gel and the V05 is not natural, so maybe my hair didn't like that?
  • BeautyOGBeautyOG Registered Users Posts: 383 Curl Neophyte
    That's probably it. I know AuRebelle has good natural products, I am planning to buy some soon. Here's the website: http://m.anunaturals.com/ they have a natural co wash conditioner, you might like it.

Sent from my QMV7B using CurlTalk App
    My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Another possibility is that the Too Shea! is too heavy for your hair and is causing build-up, and the shampoo is needed to wash that out. Shea butter can cause build-up on some people's hair. Maybe you could try shampooing again but not using the Too Shea!, and then on your next wash day, try to co-wash with the V05 again and see if you get different results.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Vors26Vors26 Registered Users Posts: 3
    I combed (excuse the pun, hehe)through the ingredients list and from what I looked up I think there was a humectant in the V05 and I'm not anywhere near humid weather right now! Also, the LA Looks has glycerin which is also for humidity, right? So I guess that's it, plus maybe the fact that's its not natural, since it really has been a looooong time since I've used non natural products. I just never realised cowash was part of the method! I don't know any natural conditioners that would be good for cowash.

Too Shea is only too heavy for my hair when I leave way too much of it in. If I condition my hair and then don't rinse at all and put on gel, it all goes limp. I have to rinse it, add a little more as a leave in, then gel. It's funny because I've used the JessiCurl Deep Conditioner and I dislike it. It does nothing for my hair. It's weird, haha. I'm still looking for a deep conditioner too. I did a gelatin treatment last week, so I think that patched up a lot of my hair. I'd say I need to do another one at some point, but right now I think I need more moisture, and so because the JessiCurl deep conditioner doesn't seem to do a thing, I'm looking for a good deep conditioner (that doesn't cost an arm and a leg!) I want to try the DevaCurl products but they're just so expensive :(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file