Growing Out Woes

BelleBohemienneBelleBohemienne Curl NeophytePosts: 375Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I have fine hair that has anywhere from completely straight to 3a curls depending on my routine. It's been over a year since my last professional cut and I've also done my own trims, but it's been a few months.

Right now, it's just below my shoulders and I'm getting that "I want a change" bug.

This is my goal hair at the bottom. It looks like short layers and bangs. Can the cut work on shorter hair and still be ok with growing out?

I thought about going to Ulta for a sort of shaping up, but the very thought makes me so nervous! I've had so many bad cuts!!

Maybe I just need some support.

~Belle Bohemienne
~Belle Bohemienne

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present." -Lao Tzu

Comments

• machermacher Curl Connoisseur Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have fine hair that has anywhere from completely straight to 3a curls depending on my routine. It's been over a year since my last professional cut and I've also done my own trims, but it's been a few months.

Right now, it's just below my shoulders and I'm getting that "I want a change" bug.

This is my goal hair at the bottom. It looks like short layers and bangs. Can the cut work on shorter hair and still be ok with growing out?

I thought about going to Ulta for a sort of shaping up, but the very thought makes me so nervous! I've had so many bad cuts!!

Maybe I just need some support.

~Belle Bohemienne

Yea my hair has a lot of straight wavy and curly. Wish my hair was either straight or curly.

I've been growing my hair out and it's the length I want it at shoulder length. Now it's time for a style. My hair is pretty much or close to one length all over.

I know I need layers. I've heard that layers are tricky and a stylist has to know what they are doing. Also I want a cut that I don't have to go to the stylist every 6 weeks to maintain it.
  • MeiMei Curl Neophyte Posts: 259Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I prefer a stylist to layer my waves the way s/he would normally layer a person's straight hair. I've never had a problem when I've requested they cut it this way. Most stylists don't know how to cut curly or wavy hair, so when you ask them to give you a curly-type cut, they end up giving you something awful, like triangle head. It's easier to just get a regular layered cut or pay the extra money and go to a Deva stylist. No in betweens for me at least. I've had enough triangle head experiences to last me a lifetime, and I know that either a stylist knows how to cut curly hair through extra training with Deva (or even Ouidad I guess) or they don't.

PS - My hair was layered at shoulder length and will grow out to look similar to (but more curly than) the picture the OP attached.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file