Can Anyone Help Me?

turbocurlturbocurl Posts: 4Registered Users
Hello NC forum,
I am trying my best to figure out my hair. I've had a buzzcut my entire life, just started growing it out about 12 months ago just because, and it turns out I have curly hair. Not sure what type, but it's curly.

Now I'm trying to get them nice and defined. My hair is low porosity I believe, as it dries extremely fast and doesn't absorb oils or products.

Within 15 minutes my once soaking wet hair is now bone dry- that's without towels or hairdryers or anything, just regular air drying.

My routine is as follows, once a day:

1. Stand in shower and let warm water hit my hair for 15 minutes straight until soft.

2. Apply Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner to my hair. Rub gently for 5 minutes.

3, Apply Ampro Pro Styl Vitamin E Oil with the conditioner. Rub for 5 minutes.

4. Rinse with cold water. This used to give my hair a nice healthy sheen, but nowadays nothing really happens.

5. Reapply Ampro Pro Styl Vitamin E Oil

I've tried deep conditioners, and leaving conditioners and oils on my head overnight.

I'd just like more defined curls, no more dry, frizzy, and crunchy hair.

Here is my hair completely dry (there is a space in the link):
i.imgur .com/MW6ZqSL.jpg

i.imgur .com/7qQO0ta.jpg

i.imgur .com/7hr3DOJ.jpg

And here is my hair completely soaked, no products (In shower for 20 minutes) (there is a space in the link)

i.imgur .com/KLRGWdI.jpg

i.imgur .com/qQtZY65.jpg

i.imgur .com/db0ry6s.jpg

i.imgur .com/dg4Hl9Y.jpg

As you can see, the curls become more defined but still there is so much frizz and it feels dry eventually. I think they could look better.

I really just want health hair. Makes me sad to try so hard with my hair (online research, money on products) and just not get results. I'm tempted to go back to my tried and true buzzcut.

If anyone could help, it'd be greatly appreciated. I'm more than willing to take better pictures or answer any questions if it will help you. Thank you.

(sorry admins or moderators for bypassing the link/image rule but it's hard to get advice without pictures)

Comments

• MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Posts: 609Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    hey,

welcome :) . i think your a 3a type curls. possibly slightly higher porosity since it dries quickly without product.

one thing that might help is do you think might need to alternate conditioners?

maybe the soybean oil in the ampro vitamin thingy is not agreeing with your hair or is adding too much protein?
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You may be getting build up. Try a low poo like Kinky Curly Come Clean. Strong enough to get build up off but not the strong sulfates. That's a fairly heavy routine and might not be coming completely off.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Some people have trouble with shea butter--it generally coats the hair instead of absorbing into the hair shaft. I think chupie's suggestion of trying a low poo is good, because it will get any build-up like that off.

You said that you have tried oils on your hair. Have you tried them on dry hair as a preshampoo treatment? Many people find coconut oil or sunflower oil good for this. Those oils are good at penetrating the hair shaft. If you were using oils that sit on top of the hair, that could be contributing to build-up too. A conditioner-only wash is often not enough to get those oils out.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    ^^^^ this.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • turbocurlturbocurl Posts: 4Registered Users
    hey,

welcome :) . i think your a 3a type curls. possibly slightly higher porosity since it dries quickly without product.

maybe the soybean oil in the ampro vitamin thingy is not agreeing with your hair or is adding too much protein?

Thank you for the welcome. What makes you think I am 3a curls? Just wondering the characteristics

I could try new conditioner.
    I was wondering about the AmPro oil. It was cheap from walmart so i was worried it could have bad ingredients.
    chupie wrote: »
    You may be getting build up. Try a low poo like Kinky Curly Come Clean. Strong enough to get build up off but not the strong sulfates. That's a fairly heavy routine and might not be coming completely off.

Good advice. There probably is alot of build up. When I use my Shea Moisture shampoo, my hair feels much slicker and clean compared to my daily conditioner only routine.

Therese1 wrote: »
    Some people have trouble with shea butter--it generally coats the hair instead of absorbing into the hair shaft. I think chupie's suggestion of trying a low poo is good, because it will get any build-up like that off.

You said that you have tried oils on your hair. Have you tried them on dry hair as a preshampoo treatment? Many people find coconut oil or sunflower oil good for this. Those oils are good at penetrating the hair shaft. If you were using oils that sit on top of the hair, that could be contributing to build-up too. A conditioner-only wash is often not enough to get those oils out.

I will try this new shampoo that is recommended by you guys. I haven't tried oil on my dry hair. I didn't think it would get absorbed unless my hair was wet, but now I'll give it a try with some coconut oil and maybe some olive oil as well.

So this is my new routine I have planned out per advice from the thread:

1. Apply natural coconut oil/olive oil mix to dry hair.
    2. Wash hair out with Kinky Curly Come Clean
    3. Apply oils again to wet hair to seal.
    4. Apply leave in conditioner (any recommendations?)
    When you apply the oils to wet hair to seal, you will probably not want to use coconut oil (or whatever you used for the prepoo), because you don't want the sealant oils to penetrate the hair shaft--that would defeat their purpose as sealants. I don't use oils myself as a sealant (I use a pomade with all kinds of stuff), so I hope someone else can recommend something for you. You might be able to use the Raw Shea conditioner as a leave-in (I believe it says that can be done right on the bottle); it's possible that that might work as a sealant also because of the shea butter in it, which tends to sit on top of the hair shaft.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Oh, and maybe others can chime in about the ordering of steps. My impression was that the leave-in should come before the sealant, since the leave-in is supposed to act kind of as a "filler" on the hair, to fill in all the porous spots.
    No, that's right. It's sealant after leave in. At Sally's they have some good deal at oils pretty in expensively (you don't need a ton most likely. Just work it through well) and Trader Joes has a good sized bottle of jojoba oil for like 6$ or so.
    hey,

chupie wrote: »
    Therese1 wrote: »

Thanks for the replies everyone. Really helpful and I truly appreciate it.

I bought the recommended shampoo and washed my hair, felt so clean after! I guess 5 months of washing with the wrong conditioner gave me extreme buildup.

I did an overnight deep condition with "Creme of Nature Argan Oil Deep Treatment" , and my hair was silky soft in the morning(at last!).

Rinsed out the conditioner the next morning, soaked my hair, applied "Garnier Fructis Sleek Shine Intensely Smooth Leave In Conditioning Cream" along with an olive oil/coconut oil mix afterwards.

My hair is already looking much better and has more defined curls. But after about 6 hours after applying leave in, it is starting to dry up again. Better than 15 minutes, so I can't complain too much!

Maybe I'm just being too impatient, it is only the first day of the new regiment.
    Moisture balance is tricky. Also you learn to "read" what your hair likes. Most people start seeing a real difference about 5 months in but I think part of that is "learning your hair". Glad you are feeling better about it!
    Moisture balance is tricky! I feel like a chemist everytime I shower, reading ingredient labels, applying the right amount, applying it correctly, etc.

I think my hair hates all parabens and protein, so I'll try to cut them out. Also, my hair is really tangled up, so I think a nice detangling comb will loosen up these curls and also keep them more moisturized,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file