Did I ruin my natural hair?

kittennkittenn Registered Users Posts: 5
I'm mostly natural, very little relaxed ends left so I thought this was the right place to post.
I'm recovering from a huge panic attack about my hair. I got crafty and decided to spray some temporary hair color spray on my hair from party city, it started burning so I immediately washed it out. My curl pattern looked a lot looser during the wash, the front even looked straight ( the front of my hair has always had a looser texture though). I'm terrified that I've ruined my curl pattern, even though the spray was only on for about 5 minutes...? Maybe less. Is it possible that I have ruined it or will it go back to normal within a few washes? Should I pre-poo?

Comments

• BelleBohemienneBelleBohemienne Registered Users Posts: 375 Curl Neophyte
    The burning was that something you felt or smelled. Since hair is basically dead, if you felt burning, it would have been on the scalp and perhaps you were having an allergic reaction.

If you smelled your hair burning, you could have damaged it in some way. I'd say to clarify your hair and do a DC. If possible, a PT might help too.

Curl pattern though is mainly genetic and unless something occurs hormonally, I doubt you ruined the curls. However, applying chemicals to your hair can damage the hair causing the curl pattern to change, but healthy hair and new hair should return to the same pattern.

~Belle Bohemienne
    ~Belle Bohemienne

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present." -Lao Tzu
  • kittennkittenn Registered Users Posts: 5
    The burning was that something you felt or smelled. Since hair is basically dead, if you felt burning, it would have been on the scalp and perhaps you were having an allergic reaction.

If you smelled your hair burning, you could have damaged it in some way. I'd say to clarify your hair and do a DC. If possible, a PT might help too.

Curl pattern though is mainly genetic and unless something occurs hormonally, I doubt you ruined the curls. However, applying chemicals to your hair can damage the hair causing the curl pattern to change, but healthy hair and new hair should return to the same pattern.

~Belle Bohemienne
    I appreciate your comment to the fullest. Should I pre-poo before washing? I'm not entirely sure if I have any clarifying shampoo. From what I know, all I have is Aussie Moist shampoo but I'll definitely keep looking.
    I washed and deep conditioned my hair, my hair still doesn't look the same. )= I am so distraught!
    kittenn wrote: »
    I washed and deep conditioned my hair, my hair still doesn't look the same. )= I am so distraught!

It's may take time for it to come back. Unless you actually burned your hair, then there may be no coming back from that. Continue conditioning for maybe a week, but if you see no change, I'd suggest going to a salon.

~Belle Bohemienne
    ~Belle Bohemienne

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present." -Lao Tzu
    I really hope it reverts, this is so hard for me. My hair finally started growing and now it's just all ruined. I can see a huuuuge, huuuge different in my puff(I'd post pictures but I can't until I post more around the forums!) While washing my hair yesterday, the shampoo and water was clinging to the front of my hair, what does this mean? Maybe I did burn my hair because while having that on, it reminded me of a relaxer, especially when the front of my hair turned straight in the water. Wow.
    kittenn wrote: »
    I really hope it reverts, this is so hard for me. My hair finally started growing and now it's just all ruined. I can see a huuuuge, huuuge different in my puff(I'd post pictures but I can't until I post more around the forums!) While washing my hair yesterday, the shampoo and water was clinging to the front of my hair, what does this mean? Maybe I did burn my hair because while having that on, it reminded me of a relaxer, especially when the front of my hair turned straight in the water. Wow.

If it felt similar to a relaxer, then it might have been a chemical burn. Keep your hair moisturized. Try coconut oil or olive oil treatments and just give it some time.

~Belle Bohemienne
    ~Belle Bohemienne

Yeah, I'll try that.

Even the roots feel looser-almost straight.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file