Identifying Hair Type

daniellef92daniellef92 Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi everyone,

I've been transitioning for 9months now and when I hit about 6months I was starting to sweep with my decision. To ensuring that I stayed on my current path I decided to cut a piece of hair from the front of my head. It has been a fun to watch my hair grow. I've been reading a lot of blogs about hair typing and was just curious what you guys think mine is.the one section that is fully natural has gel applied to and only gel. Everywhere is dry hair no product.

Comments

• ReservechicReservechic Registered Users Posts: 798
    Hi everyone,

I've been transitioning for 9months now and when I hit about 6months I was starting to sweep with my decision. To ensuring that I stayed on my current path I decided to cut a piece of hair from the front of my head. It has been a fun to watch my hair grow. I've been reading a lot of blogs about hair typing and was just curious what you guys think mine is.the one section that is fully natural has gel applied to and only gel. Everywhere is dry hair no product.

Welcome Danielle! It's really great to hear to find out that you have been transitioning for 9 months thus far. You've really come along way, and you ought to be very proud of yourself for such.

The Hairtyping System is something that came into existence by Andre Walker who is Oprah Winfrey's hairstylist. He came upwith this hair classification system. However, by no means is it a 100% accurate reflection of all curl types that have will or ever will come into existence. I can tell you that unless you happen to visit a salon that specializes in doing curly hair, or you happen to know of a stylist that is familiar with Andre Walker's hairtyping system, most hair stylists are not familiar with such at all. Also, when it comes to hairtyping, someone may categorize their hair one way, while someone else may see that same person's hair as being of a completely different curl pattern. Which is categorizing ones hair is okay to know, but it is not really a necessity at all.

From looking at your picture, It appears that you have Type 4a/4b. Mostly 4b, from what i see. However, i wouldn't even worry that much about hairtyping, because it still honestly takes trial and error to find out what workes best for ones hair.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file