Which Curl Enhancer to try?

curlynccurlync Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I want to try experimenting with layering a curl enhancer with a couple of the gels/curl custards I have on hand.

I've found products that give me good volume, but not enough curl definition (CJ AFG), and products that give me good definition but lazy, stretched out curls (KCCC). I'd love to see whether a good curl enhancing product underneath would work.

Before I become a complete PJ and just order them all, what are people's thoughts on Re:Coil vs SS CEJ vs Jessicurl RR? I found a thread from 3 years ago talking about the three, but figured I'd ask for more updated input. Dews are still high here in North Carolina, so I'm not using a leave-in right now, just gel.
2c/3a
Porosity: low at roots; normal mid-shaft; high at ends
Texture: mix of medium & coarse
Density: medium

Low-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather; CJ Gentle Cleansing
RO: GVP Conditioning Balm; Innersense Color Radiance
Stylers: MT Curly Custard; CHS Curl Keeper; UFD Curly Magic; Innersense I Create Volume

Occasional use: CJ Repair Me; Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo

CG (or mod CG since I low-poo?) since June 2015

Comments

• WavycatWavycat Posts: 325Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I had good luck with CURLS Creme Brûlée, I think it works better in hiher dews for me. I also feel that homemade FSG or ECOSTYLER help my curls clump.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i love cj cccc without any ge for low dewsl. i do use a leave in underneath.
    have you tried cj pattern pusha? works well in all dew points.

btw, spiral solutions (ss cep) is currently closed. she may reopen, but that is not definite. you can email her from her etsy site and ask if/when she will re open. i am hoping she does!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,228Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Such an important question. Hoping for more replies.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Of the 3 originally mentioned, Recoil works great for me, jcrr I didn't like, and the cej was ok but not as good as the recoil. I only need a tiny amount of the Recoil raked into soaking wet hair. A small amount of jcrr did nothing for me, and a larger amount made my hair feel greasy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • curlynccurlync Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wavycat, I keep reading such great stuff about homemade FSG - I need to give it a try. Up until this point I haven't even looked into how to make it as I was completing skipping over anything I had to make myself.

rbb, I'm looking forward to giving CCCC a try, but it feels like it's going to take forever for these dews to drop! I have tried the Pattern Pusha, and had okay results. I got pretty good curl definition on most of my hair, but the first few inches closest to the roots were very flat. I should try it again, but my sample is gone and I don't know if I want to commit to buying a full bottle when I only had so-so results.

SereneCurls, I see in your sig you use KCCC and CJPP - do you use the Re:coil under these?
    2c/3a

Stylers: MT Curly Custard; CHS Curl Keeper; UFD Curly Magic; Innersense I Create Volume

I am so tempted to try the Recoil, but I've heard it is drying. Do you experience that and how do you counteract it?
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • DrRachDrRach Posts: 264Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use Recoil and i dont find it drying. I apply a small amout (UK 10p piece) over my leave in before my styling cream or gel
    3 b Baby fine, Low density, high porosity, naturally pale blonde. And a UK Curly Girl:thumbleft:
    No/Low Poo: Palmers Olive Oil Cowash
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    DT/PT: CJ Repair Me!, SM Fruit Fusion
    Stylers: LUS Curly 3in1 leave in

• hilar_ridichilar_ridic Posts: 45Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have had recoil for a long time and hadnt tried it since going CG. I decided last night to give it a try after co-wash and a bit of conditioner left in. I didn't read about only using a tiny bit so unfortunately my hair is not happy today. I used it and then some BRHG on top and my hair is pretty sad today. Hopefully it is just that I used too much. Otherwise I do like Pattern Pusha but need a little harder gel on top to get the result I want. Its not just about the products we use but how we use them.........lesson learned.
    2C - 1 year into CG
    Goosefootprints - Coarse, Dense, Normal porosity
    Started Co-Washing and and trying out different products.
    Any tips for similar hair would be great

CW: As I am/Suave Naturals
    RO: Suave Naturals / Yes to Coconuts
    Squish: Yes to Coconuts or GVPCB.
    LO: Suave Natruals
    Styler: Experimenting- Shea Moisture Smoothie, BRHG, KC, ISO bouncy creme,Ecostyler and PP, Innersense I create Hold, LASLG
    My hair doesn't like Glycerin
    curlync wrote: »
    Wavycat, I keep reading such great stuff about homemade FSG - I need to give it a try. Up until this point I haven't even looked into how to make it as I was completing skipping over anything I had to make myself.

rbb, I'm looking forward to giving CCCC a try, but it feels like it's going to take forever for these dews to drop! I have tried the Pattern Pusha, and had okay results. I got pretty good curl definition on most of my hair, but the first few inches closest to the roots were very flat. I should try it again, but my sample is gone and I don't know if I want to commit to buying a full bottle when I only had so-so results.

SereneCurls, I see in your sig you use KCCC and CJPP - do you use the Re:coil under these?

Yes, I use either the kccc or cjpp over recoil. I like to mix a bit of brhg with whichever one I'm using in my hands. So I leave in some conditioner, add a tiny bit of recoil, mix either kccc or cjpp with a bit of brhg in my hands, and apply that. Then I'm done, and my hair lasts multiple days if I manage not to crush it at night. I don't find recoil drying, but I've never used it without a leave in. (I don't really use any styler without a leave in, so it's not unique in that regard.)

Yes, I use either the kccc or cjpp over recoil. I like to mix a bit of brhg with whichever one I'm using in my hands. So I leave in some conditioner, add a tiny bit of recoil, mix either kccc or cjpp with a bit of brhg in my hands, and apply that. Then I'm done, and my hair lasts multiple days if I manage not to crush it at night. I don't find recoil drying, but I've never used it without a leave in. (I don't really use any styler without a leave in, so it's not unique in that regard.)

I actually just ordered some BRHG a few days ago (should have it today). I've seen it mentioned a lot on here, and my curls always fall by the end of the day, so I'm looking forward to trying your method. Next up, I either need to get myself to Ulta or order some re:coil online. My bf probably thinks I have either a shopping addiction or hair obsession at this point with the amount of boxes of products and product samples that have come to the house lately...
    2c/3a

• CaylynnCaylynn Posts: 117Registered Users
    I like AG: Recoil in normal dews. I only use a tiny bit.

I really like Jessicurl RR. I can use it solo, or pair it with JC Spiralicious gel, depending on what kind of look I want and how much of the RR I want to use.
    Canadian - 2A/2B - chin length, med/avg porosity, medium texture, thick density (but thinning)
    Group fitness instructor & marathon runner - need to wash daily
    Low-poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
    Co-wash: Tresemmé Naturals
    RO: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat, Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    LI: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    Stylers: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone Sea Foam, Andalou Naturals Sunflower & Citrus Gel, Giovanni Naturals Mousse
    Caylynn wrote: »
    I like AG: Recoil in normal dews. I only use a tiny bit.

I really like Jessicurl RR. I can use it solo, or pair it with JC Spiralicious gel, depending on what kind of look I want and how much of the RR I want to use.

Thanks Caylynn, I may need to order a sample of the RR again, especially since she doesn't charge for samples (or I believe it may just be $1.50 for a repeat order). Either way, I tried her samples when I first stopped using the DevaCurl line, but at that point I had absolutely no idea what I was doing and my hair was a still a mess recovering from the effects of the Deva products. Also, because I was looking for a whole new routine, I tried all the samples together (shampoo/rinse out/stylers), so if my hair looked a certain way (good or bad), I had no idea which product was to thank or blame. Now that I have a better routine nailed down and am good with my current soap bars and RO conditioners, I'm going to need to try her styling products again.
    2c/3a

Thanks Dr. Rach and Serene Curls for answering my question about whether you find AG Recoil drying. I may succumb and get some eventually and just try a tiny bit.
    curlync wrote: »

I actually just ordered some BRHG a few days ago (should have it today). I've seen it mentioned a lot on here, and my curls always fall by the end of the day, so I'm looking forward to trying your method. Next up, I either need to get myself to Ulta or order some re:coil online. My bf probably thinks I have either a shopping addiction or hair obsession at this point with the amount of boxes of products and product samples that have come to the house lately...

lol I feel like I've tried way too much stuff, but it does get better eventually. Now I've found things I like to the point of repurchasing them when I run out, and I'm not feeling the need to try tons of new stuff that I used to.

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    To give you an idea of why I like this combo. On me this is Curlmaker and BRHG. Medium weight, normal density, color treated so pretty porous. 2a Bob. A bout a quarter sized or slightly more. ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1443897049.733362.jpg
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    FSG

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
    chupie wrote: »
    To give you an idea of why I like this combo. On me this is Curlmaker and BRHG. Medium weight, normal density, color treated so pretty porous. 2a Bob. A bout a quarter sized or slightly more. ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1443897049.733362.jpg

Chupie, what is "Curlmaker" in your post above? I'm confused.
    curlypearl wrote: »

Chupie, what is "Curlmaker" in your post above? I'm confused.

Camille Rose Naturals CurlMaker. SomeTargets have it or Curlmart or their site.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • BabyfineBabyfine Posts: 149Registered Users Curl Novice
    Wow you got a great amount of curl going there!
    I'm looking for more curl, body, volume, and shine-a miracle really.
    Poos" Nioxin, Devacurl, Jessicurl
    Leave in: Ouidad Moisture Lock/B'leavein
    Rinse out: VO5 Kiwi Lime, Mane and Tail,Too Shea
    Mousse: Oscar Blandi Hair Life, Ouidad Playcurl
    Gel: Devacurl Light defining gel
    Yup. It really works well for me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file