Knot Today Drying out Hair?

JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
So I recently purchased the Kinky Curly Knot Today leave-in out of plain curiosity, and Sunday morning I used it with my normal routine. My hair ended up looking and feeling very dry shortly after I put it in, and I put some Shea Moisture CES in to combat the drying effects, but the areas where I had put a little more of the KCKT still came out really dry, puffy and undefined. Anyone else have this happen? Or perhaps I used it wrong? As far as what I read and from what I've seen, it can be applied as I have been using it, but yeesh. My hair was super dry...
Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
•Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
•CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    That's interesting JunyJu because I found KCKT drying also. I thought I was the only one. I wonder what the ingredient is that causes this or if it just lacks something that other more moisturizing formulas have.

I like Curlisto Repair Styling Creme as a leave-in. Despite the name it is actually a leave-in but it does have a cone. The cone is way near the bottom of the ingredients so there probably isn't much of it but I wish they would leave it out entirely.

In general, I like Curl Junkie products - I have to read up and see if they make a leave-in. All their other conditioners are wonderful.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
    curlypearl wrote: »
    That's interesting JunyJu because I found KCKT drying also. I thought I was the only one. I wonder what the ingredient is that causes this or if it just lacks something that other more moisturizing formulas have.

I like Curlisto Repair Styling Creme as a leave-in. Despite the name it is actually a leave-in but it does have a cone. The cone is way near the bottom of the ingredients so there probably isn't much of it but I wish they would leave it out entirely.

In general, I like Curl Junkie products - I have to read up and see if they make a leave-in. All their other conditioners are wonderful.

Yeah. I'm sad because the one true thing is that detangling-wise, it is amazing. It has awesome slip! But the drying properties are too much for my hair, which is already naturally dry. I think I've heard of the Curlisto (or have actually seen it at Target the day I grabbed the KCKT :laughing9:)

As far as products, I think I'm gonna stop experimenting, lol. At least until I get my little car dues paid off and have more money to spend. I know that Mixed Chicks leave-in and Shea Moisture's Curl Enhancing Smoothie have consistently done well by me so far, so I'm probably gonna refund this KCKT and use the money to cover most of the cost for another Mixed Chicks leave-in, since I already have the SMCES.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about Curl Junkie, but their prices are a little up there too for me, so I'll probably check them out in a few months. This was so disappointing! I really wanted it to work, because I loved the slip. But I'm not willing to keep buying it just for the slip, because I prefer less products. I'm actually also in the process of trying to see whether I like the Mixed Chicks or Shea Moisture alone with my gel better to eliminate another product as well.

The journey continues LOL!
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

• DrRachDrRach Registered Users Posts: 264 Curl Neophyte
    CJ do a brilliant leave in called Smoothing Lotion, its my absoute HG for leave-ins. Its also fantastic for refreshing my hair, i just smooth it over my dry hair on wet hands and finger twirl as necessary. Also it smells gorgeous, a light sweet smell that has me sniffing my hands for ages after ive used it!

For a cheaper alternative i really like Aunt Jackies Quench. The smell is not as lovely but its a fraction of the price.
    3 b Baby fine, Low density, high porosity, naturally pale blonde. And a UK Curly Girl:thumbleft:
    No/Low Poo: Palmers Olive Oil Cowash
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    DT/PT: CJ Repair Me!, SM Fruit Fusion
    Stylers: LUS Curly 3in1 leave in

• rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,357 Curl Connoisseur
    KCKT is a detangler, not really a conditioner, so it does not add moisture.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • SortaRicanSortaRican Registered Users Posts: 310
    I too found the KCKT very drying, wasn't satisfied with it at all although I do love the KCCC for styling. I use Giovanni Direct Leave-In, which I get at target.
    3b/3c
    Fine, Long, High Density, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Products
    CoWash: YTC Nourishing Conditioner/AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI: GDLI
    Styler: KCCC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Curlybeauty_xoCurlybeauty_xo Registered Users Posts: 24
    I use KCKT when I get out the shower to detangle my hair & I think it works great. Then I just put in my other products as usual.

Sent from my SM-G920V using CurlTalk App
  • JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
    Glad to see I'm not alone in this!

I knew it wasn't a moisturizer, but even with a moisturizer added it was still making my hair brittle. For detangling purposes I do agree it was fantastic, but I don't even want to use it for that because even then it's *still* in my hair and drying it out. I was expecting for it at least to just detangle and nothing else, but to detangle and dry my hair out was not worth the money. I don't mind cocktailing products (I do it with Mixed Chicks leave-in and Shea Moisture Curl-Enhancing smoothie and get fantastic results), but it took globs of the CES to get my moisture back after using KCKT, so that was obviously not okay! :'(

But hey, lesson learned! I got my refund (Target is amazing about refunds, by the way! :D)

• SortaRicanSortaRican Registered Users Posts: 310
    I wish I would've thought about getting a refund! It sat in my bathroom for months and when I threw it out it was probably 75% full :sad3: talk about a waste of money.
    3b/3c
    Fine, Long, High Density, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Products
    CoWash: YTC Nourishing Conditioner/AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI: GDLI
    Styler: KCCC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AfromuffinAfromuffin Registered Users Posts: 158
    I swear I was the only one!
    It felt drying going on to my hair too.
    It lacks water, which could be one reason why it's drying.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file