Many questions related to curly hair

Hello~
I'm new here and I have some questions about my curly hair /: First of all, how do you girls wash it? Until now I've been using the shampoo and conditioner which my mum bought, not really thinking much about it. Washing my hair was never pleasant, sometimes it did hurt quite a lot. I always combed through it because lots of knots created themselves over the few days since my last wash and I have to get rid of them somehow... first I used a comb with large teeth with big gaps in between which didn't work very well but now I use what's called a Betty brush which is supposed to work better for curly hair... Of course I only brush under the shower after I've wet my hair properly and applied shampoo. Brushing my hair regularly would hurt too much and would only frizz it. How long do you typically wash your hair? I need somewhere between 30 to 60 minutes..
I've been told going to the hairdressers and having the ends cut helps too but I haven't done it yet. I know I posted a lot of dumb questions but I've never had long hair before and my mother and sister have straight hair. Also, I want to get a girly looking cut at the hairdressers but a bit ashamed to ask for it (I'm a boy) and also don't know what I should ask for, how to shape my hair.. I don't really know where to start with this hair of mine /: Can anyone tell me what are the most important things to watch out for and articles to read? Thank you.

Comments

• SortaRicanSortaRican Posts: 310Registered Users
    Without knowing much about your hair I think anyone would tell you it's best to detangle your hair when it's wet with conditioner (not shampoo) this should cause little to no damage. I personally don't use shampoo, I co-wash and I use a wide tooth comb to detangle while my hair is soaking wet with a good conditioner. I think you'll learn a lot just by reading through the threads and trying different products/methods to determine what works best for you. As far as getting the hairstyle you want, I've been told providing pictures of what you want is very helpful for a hairstylist.
    3b/3c
    Fine, Long, High Density, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Products
    CoWash: YTC Nourishing Conditioner/AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI: GDLI
    Styler: KCCC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WavycatWavycat Posts: 325Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I agree with SortaRican and there's a men's forum here. Also if you can get "The Curly Girl Handbook" by Lorraine Massey. I remember I hung out in "trying a shampoo free method" forum for a while and I got some good info. You can go to the Deva website to find a Deva trained stylist. If there's one near you you could get a consult. Doesn't matter if you're a man or a woman...hair is hair. HTH
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file