Vitamins

CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
Do you take them? What do you take and do you notice a difference??

I've never taken them (other then Cold FX, I swear that is a little miracle pill when I start feeling yucky!) and a coworker was really surprised today. She said she thought everyone did.
I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
Audrey Hepburn

Comments

• LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,770Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I use to take a ton of vitamins, but didn't really notice a difference other than my pocket book. I now only take a Woman's One A Day & Fish Oil.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    Always, and I have since high school or so.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,226Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I take generic one-a-day in the smallest dose possible and vitamin D. According to everything I've read, It's always better to get your vitamins from food rather than in a pill so I take this tiny dose just to cover anything I may have missed.

I take extra vitamin D because I don't get much sunlight and vit. D. isn't present naturally in many foods. Supposedly, vit. D. deficiency is the most common deficiency in the U.S.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I used to take GNC Women's Ultra Mega yrs ago and I noticed a huge difference that I could pinpoint a couple days after starting them.

I still buy them but haven't taken them regularly in a looooong time. I also buy magnesium malate, glucosamine & chondroitin, biotin, probiotics, a few herbal things and a BUNCH other stuff I can't recall but I rarely remember to take them.

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I've been taking prenatal vitamins. I started taking the Vitafusion prenatal (w/out iron), then started taking Bellybar prental (w/ iron). I noticed my skin was overall better and smoother, my hair seemed to have gotten stronger as it held my curl a lot better, and my nails grow like freaking crazy! Once I started the vitamins w/ iron on a regular basis, my energy levels have gone way up. I also take methycobalamin (B12) lozenges that go under the tongue. B12 in the past have helped my menstrual cramps, and it seems to be helping my nerve damage down my leg from my back.

I was taking magnesium citrate which also helps my nerves and anxiety, but I've taken a break due to very poor digestion and I notice a difference. Magnesium takes my back and joint pain away, and now it's hard to move around again - I feel old. :( Need to start back up with the magnesium oil.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I take a hair/skin/nails thing but haven't been taking it long so don't know if it's doing much, vit D, another recent addition, and kyolic garlic for my BP which seems to keep it marginally lower than it usually is. Was taking iron for a while but my dr told me not to take them any more as my iron levels are good now (I was very anaemic but felt fine and feel no different now). I also take flaxseed and evening primrose capsules for my skin, help keep my eczema at bay.
    3b in South Australia.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,226Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sixe and Spider, I forgot to mention I take magnesium also.

Spider, you are taking the best kind of magnesium. I have been taking mag citrate and my doc said the maleate is much better for absorption and digestion.

Starmie, I need to take flaxseed again - so good for you and actually I enjoy the taste. I forgot about it for a while but off to get some tomorrow.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    So I was doing some reading, and B1 & B12 is supposed to be good for weight loss. I've been doing great these last few months, but figured what the hell, anything that will help.

5 days and zero sugar/salt cravings. The last two days we've had an abundance of donuts/TimBits/chocolate around and nothing. Thanksgiving is next weekend, then I'm having parties the following two weekends. I've picked up some chips and other stuff when it was on sale the other day and not even the littlest of temptation.

May be a coincidence and that weird Bermuda triangle of the month when I'm not PMSing, stressed about work, bored, etc.

Anyone else take either or both those and find the same?
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    curlypearl wrote: »

Starmie, I need to take flaxseed again - so good for you and actually I enjoy the taste. I forgot about it for a while but off to get some tomorrow.

I have ground flax seed and hemp seeds on my salad everyday, love them!
    Audrey Hepburn
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have taken prenatals on and off since I was 15. The doc gave me an Rx due to a suspected deficiency. I'he had them prescribed or recommended 3 other times due to low calcium or iron or... They always do wonders for my hair, skin and nails but it's not good to take them for extended periods if they have higher iron. You can over do. I was taking a prenatal derived from food sources that also contained a pro biotic but I have since lowered my iron dose.

Right now I am taking a good multi w/o iron, an 18 mg iron pill and probiotics. If I know I'm eating iron rich foods that day, I skip the iron pill.

Something else I have taken since my teen years, and loved, is wheat grass. 6 pills a day so it's not a constant thing. It does wonders for my skin too.

Eta: I do agree that it's better to get your vitamins from food but it's not always easy. I know I ended up in the children's hospital in Atlanta when I was 4. I was not allowed to drink milk while I was there and in my 4 year old wisdom, decided milk made me sick. I've refused to drink it since. I ended up with lower calcium levels when I was younger but now it runs a little high. People don't get vitamin D like they used to. Some are only found in foods people hate. Several things can mess with your iron level and several vitamins and minerals help with absorption. Then you have to deal with most over the counter meds depleting your vitamins. Tylenol, etc, can wipe out your C levels. They work on different things. I don't think one should over do abd take 30 different things a day but a nice multi is a good addition
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    It seems like something in most multivitamins gives me a headache, so I avoid them.

Do take:

C

D - started taking it a few months ago and I have noticed a difference..improved my mood subtly but in a sustained way. My hormones still throw me into weird stuff at different points (nose diving progesterone I think), so it hasn't been a miracle, but it has made me feel a little more grounded.

Iron - started taking a couple months ago. My nails have been growing fast and strong, and my hair picked up growth speed a bit too. I didn't think it had an effect there? I ironically quit taking Biotin a couple months before, and did not get these results with it. The iron is especially important for the fatigue during menstruation (due to losing too much of it) though. I should double-check I'm not overdoing it, since I have been taking it daily.

Magnesium - helps with my fibromyalgia-like muscular soreness. Doesn't take it away, it's just even more intense without it in my vitamin regimen.

So four total, but all seem pretty key.

I had been taking liquid B6 and I think it helped all around with all my hormonal junk, but it tastes really awful, and I'm generally tough about 'taking my medicine'. ...That and it's kind of pricey, but I should probably start it again/
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file