winter time and caring for our curly/wavy locks

Hi there,
I am new to the forum. I was wondering how to look after my curls/waves in the winter. I do a lot of walking. What type of hear gear do you all wear? I am in Canada so we see quite the winter.
Would wool be better for the hair and then spritz and what not after getting to work?
Is a wool hat better that a acrylic one? What about a wool buff?
Just an old gal learning to embrace her waves and curls she has ignored for years.
I believe I have 2b/2c hair.
My hair is low porous, low density and fine (maybe medium)

Comments

• bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi there! Look into the LOC method. I think Acrylic is best, but satin lining/satin scarf under hats might be worth a try. I personally like to keep my hair in protective styles most of the time and not just in the winter because your hair kind of gets roughed up from rubbing against clothing (coats/scarves etc.). I think moisture is big and using things like oils/butters to seal it in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Last winter, I wore a knit cashmere wool beanie. It was lightweight but very warm. It didn't mess my hair up too bad. I also tried not to scrunch my gel cast out before I put on my hat--I scrunched it out after I took it off.

I read an article last winter about twisting some of your hair and clipping it before putting on your hat, to avoid some of the curl coming out. It didn't work for me, but I thought I'd pass it along in case it works for you.

I haven't tried acrylic, so I don't know if it would cause too much static on the hair.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • rubygirlrubygirl Posts: 4Registered Users
    Thanks for your reply back. I am not sure what the LOC method is. I am still new to all of this

Just thought I would add that I found out what it is by looking at the plopping tutorial

That may be the key :)
    Just an old gal learning to embrace her waves and curls she has ignored for years.
    I believe I have 2b/2c hair.
    My hair is low porous, low density and fine (maybe medium)
  • WavycatWavycat Posts: 325Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi Rubygirl. LOC or LCO is a method for keeping moisture in hair.
    L is liquid or leave-in
    O oil
    C cream
    It refers to the order you apply the products. If you do a search there are some articles on it. A lot of highly porous curlies find it helps.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file