Y'all what the hell happened to my hair!!!!!

My hair was doing amazing guys. Absolutely great. Dyed it red then back to black about 2 months ago and it's dead. Most of my curls are gone and it's all loose, frizzy waves. I'm tempted to do a BC again but i dont want to lol. I've deep conditioned constantly with no positive change. I'm pretty sure i need protein but i have no clue what protein treatment to get that'll do an amazing job with my hair. I would like to go back to aphogee 2 step but I moved and I share a bathroom with a psycho lol. The smell would have her kick me out haha. Anyone know any cheap but heavy protein treatments? Does anyone know how to upload pictures to this post? I'm clueless lol.

Sent from my SM-G920P using CurlTalk App
Current length - Shoulder length
Goal Length - Waist Length
Hair Type - 3A
Current Color - Black

I shampoo with : Cantu JBCO Shampoo
I condition with : Aussie Moist
I deep condition with : Mielle Organics DC
I style with : Mielle organics leave in conditioner, as I Am curling jelly, and aphogee keratin and green tea spray

Comments

• JunyJuJunyJu Posts: 495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I do a really easy protein treatment of just one egg beaten mixed with 1 or 2 tbsp of coconut oil. Put that on my hair for maybe 30 minutes then rinse it out and do my hair routine. I noticed a difference after rinsing it out, although you may or may not, depending on your hair's characteristics. It will help, though, and is pretty simple as far as ingredients. You can also add honey or switch the coconut oil out for another you prefer. The egg is what's doing the protein fix, the rest is just extra help with other things like softness and so on.

Also for posting pictures, I usually upload them to Pinterest, then open Pinterest in my browser (safari or whatever for phone as well), save the link, then insert it here by clicking the 'insert picture' button at the top (the yellow picture with the sun and mountains). :)
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
    •Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
    •CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi, I love doing gelatin protein treatments, they have proteins small enough to actually penetrate your hair shaft. Eggs and mayo and stuff have big protein that doesn't penetrate. You get unflavored gelatin, use a whole pack, or a half a pack depending on what you prefer, mix it into about 1/2 cup of water, then add a tiny bit of coconut oil, if you want, its not necessary. Microwave it in 30 second intervals till it gets pretty hot, stir it really well, let it cool a little. Put it into your hair.Then just let it sit for 20-30 min. Rinse it out, then condition your hair. It has always worked SO good for me.

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You can also try Ion Effective Care or reconstructive from Sally's or even just bottle of beer rinsing.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • SortaRicanSortaRican Posts: 310Registered Users
    When my hair is giving me hell I usually clarify. It gives my head a fresh start and usually gets rid of my biggest enemy...frizz and leaves my curls more defined once I put all my products in.
    3b/3c
    Fine, Long, High Density, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Products
    CoWash: YTC Nourishing Conditioner/AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI: GDLI
    Styler: KCCC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Repair Me! was my favorite protein treatment and the only thing that worked for me because I'm kind of protein sensitive. I love products with rice protein and vegetable proteins though. I think a coconut milk soak would be worth a try. I've heard about that on LHC, but have yet to try it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    Sally's Colorful Neutral Protein Filler is the best! It's a liquid that you can add to whatever conditioner you want, or put it on your hair straight.

CJ Repair Me is great too, but very pricey.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • asagiasagi Posts: 194Registered Users
    jm_ wrote: »
    My hair was doing amazing guys. Absolutely great. Dyed it red then back to black about 2 months ago and it's dead. Most of my curls are gone and it's all loose, frizzy waves. I'm tempted to do a BC again but i dont want to lol. I've deep conditioned constantly with no positive change. I'm pretty sure i need protein but i have no clue what protein treatment to get that'll do an amazing job with my hair. I would like to go back to aphogee 2 step but I moved and I share a bathroom with a psycho lol. The smell would have her kick me out haha. Anyone know any cheap but heavy protein treatments? Does anyone know how to upload pictures to this post? I'm clueless lol.

This lady got her curls back using henna: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvaHqkwOuz8
    Curl type: 3C/4A
    Strand thickness: Fine-Medium-Thick
    Porosity: low to medium to high (depends on where on my head)
    Density: medium - high
    Co-wash :Tresemme's Naturals Conditioner
    Moisturizer: Aunt Jackie's Girls Baby Girl Curls: Curling & Twisting Custard
    DC: Profectiv Mega Growth Anti-Breaking Strengthing DC
    PT: Hair Mayonaise/Coconut Oil
    Sealant: Jamican Black Castor oil
    Gel: Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic
  • jm_jm_ Posts: 66Registered Users
    Well I'm going to look into all the products listed. Thanks y'all. I'm going to try and post a pic of my hair so you can see the difference.

Hair Type - 3A
    Current Color - Black

I style with : Mielle organics leave in conditioner, as I Am curling jelly, and aphogee keratin and green tea spray
    Okay before the damage was the one with the green pin on my shirt (old hostess job lol). I believe that was second day hair too. The first day was flawlessssssss.

The "now" are the other pics and that was a wash and go.

Hair Type - 3A
    Current Color - Black

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    You hair is still gorgeous! But I understand about it not being the same as it was before. Hope you can get it back to what you want. Frequent trims may help too.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    Yeah I'm planning on trimming my hair again. Hopefully it'll help.

Hair Type - 3A
    Current Color - Black

• ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    sixelamy wrote: »
    You hair is still gorgeous! But I understand about it not being the same as it was before. Hope you can get it back to what you want. Frequent trims may help too.

I totally agree. Your hair still looks gorgeous!

Are the products listed within your signature, all of which you are currently using on your hair? If not, it could be good to provide exactly what products you are currently using, so that way the individuals here can know exactly what your curent hair regimen consists of.

I classify my hair as being Type 3b (even though i am not huge on hairtyping at this point in my natural hair journey to tell you the truth), and based upon the products that i have used in my hair, some hair styling products will have my curls looking more defined, where others will leave my curls with barely any definition. Even though i classify my hair as being a 3b, with certain products that i have tried, they have had my curls looking like a 2c or 3a. Schucks, when i have put pure oil in my hair (whether it be coconut oil or another natural hair oil) during my hair styling process in the past and left it in, it made my hair look almost straight. So, the styling products that one uses can most surely affect the end result that they see to their curls. Also, I can say that when my curls are cut short, they look different than they do, when they are much longer. My curls look more elongated, when worn long. And, there are actually products that i used when my hair was cut short that worked great for my hair, but doesn't work great for my long hair at all.

The same can be said for my mother's, natural, yet color treated hair. I happen to be my mother's personal hairdresser, and when i cut my mom's hair short, her curl pattern appears a bit more tighter in appearance. But, after my mother's hair grows out and gets longer in between haircuts, my mother's curls will look more elongated. So, that is something that should also be considered as well.

When it comes to getting trims or hair cuts, such is normally done when one needs to split ends or damaged areas of hair cut off, or to achieve a particular hairstyle, or there are individuals that only do a mini trim of their hair, only to keep it at a desired length. Now, your ends don't look severely damaged and neither does the rest of your hair, and as far as there being any split ends on your hair, at this time, of course that is something that you will be able to clearly see, and you can either choose to trim off such yourself or to have a professional hairstylist do such for you instead.

I am a mixed race curly just like you happen to be. I wasn't born with a lot of curl to my hair, my hair is mainly fine textured all over, has never been thick, and I have no real natural volume to my hair whatsoever, and no haircare product is going to really change that. If you don't naturally have a lot of curl as well as natural volume to your hair to begin with, you have to understand that no haircare product is going to drastically change that. What would be best for you to incorporate into your regimen is a product(s) that has curl activating properties or curl enhancing properties to it (that won't weigh your curls down), because it certainly appears that you are looking for more than just curl defining.

And, no, your hair does not look dead, so i wouldn't stress yourself out over thinking that it is okay.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
    Yes those are my current products and my ends aren't split, luckily lol. I found one split end a few weeks back and did a quick trim on myself. My hair may not be severely damaged but it did lose its curl pattern and I do have some damage due to possibly the hair dying or the straightening.

Hair Type - 3A
    Current Color - Black

@jm_, in the pics you posted of your hair, your hair looked a lot shorter in the "before pics" compared to the "now pics". I'm not sure if your hair looks longer because of the change in your curl patterns and the curls being a more elongated or if cutting your hair shorter would give you the results that you previously had and want back.
    3b/3c

Products
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Well the pic with the shorter hair was August 2014. When it grew out to BSL, it was still curly and full. I began slowly creeping in with the flat iron and blowdryer about 4 months later from that pic and I lost a lot of curl. I cut my hair shoulder length and grew it out again, thinking it would get rid of my straight ends. Once it grew out, i creeped in again with the hair dye and dominican blowdrying and now my hair seems limp and isn't full at all (other pics).

Hair Type - 3A
    Current Color - Black

ooooh, I see. Well that heat can definitely do some damage. I color my hair and haven't had any issues but I know coloring can do damage as well. If I were you I would stay far far far away from the heat (preferably forever lol) and maybe lay off of the coloring for a little while. I think you are on the right track looking for a good protein treatment and I would definitely start playing around with different products. Your hair doesn't look bad now but I can see the difference in the curl pattern.
    3b/3c

Products
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yeah I dyed my hair back to its dark brown color but not all the red is gone, it's good enough though. I'm avoiding straightening now even though it's very tempting lol. I just need an amazing protein to revert this stringy hair back to ringlets.

Hair Type - 3A
    Current Color - Black

I would recommend giving your hair a much extended break from flatironing it for sure, and seeking to instead simply opt for heat free styles, such as rocking a wash n go, or whatever heat free style you choose. Also, if you weren't born with a lot of curl to your hair, then is the way that your hair will naturally appear. To gain a bit more curl enhancement to your curls, i highly suggest incorporating products into your regimen that are designed to help aid with the promoting of such. Which is why, it would be great to use products on your hair, that have either the words "curl activator or curl activator", or "curl enhancer" or "curl enhancing" associated with them, okay. Also, i would definitely recommend avoiding use of any cleansers for your hair that have harsh surfactents in them. I would definitely recommend DCing your hair weekly, incorporating the use of a protein treatment or reconstructor into your regimen 1 or 2 times a month. And, when it comes to products used to style your curls with, i highly recommend avoiding any that are too heavy for your curls and that will only work to weigh them down, okay.

And, please understand that whenever someone chooses to go back and forward between wearing their hair curly and then wearing it straightened, then everytime that one's hair is straightened, his or her hapoens to be altering their natural curl pattern via a high level of heat. With your hair, at this current time, you can gain back more curl to your hair, as the look of your hair is not in an irreversably damaged state. It is just in a temporarily slightly looser state is all. And, this is something that can properly be resolved based upon how you choose to care for your curls overall, going on from this point forward.

Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
    Thank you. I'm going to look into more protective styles and treatments for my hair. This is my current wash and go with my bangs. It's obvious damage has been done to my hair here.

Hair Type - 3A
    Current Color - Black

jm_ wrote: »
    Thank you. I'm going to look into more protective styles and treatments for my hair. This is my current wash and go with my bangs. It's obvious damage has been done to my hair here.

My sister gets her hair relaxed, color treated, and heat straightened on a frequent basis. Now, because she gets her hair heat straightened frequently, her hair looks in some areas wavy and in a lot of areas just about completely straight. This doesn't mean that her hair is heat damaged, it's how ones hair looks when it is being frequently manipulated with heat. However, the longer that her hair goes without a relaxer, being dyed, and heat straightened, the more her hair starts to revert, and her hair starts to take on a different look. Her hair starts begins a reversion process. This is something that you have to give your curls, time to naturally revert back. You must understand, that women of color have been having pressing combs, flatirons, all kinds of hair appliances that have the ability to emit from them extremely high levels of heat, in order to straighten out ones hair. Heat damage wasn't even a term used, during the 50s, 60s, 70s, even way earlier than that, until the age of the Internet began to grow at a very huge rate, and a lot of information was put out there, some of which have no real basis behind them. A lot terms related to hair were developed, by individuals who have no real background in the study and science of the health of hair and scalp, but yet others simply took whatever advice they gave out, and ran with it. Honestly, there is no documented case of permanent heat damage that exists on record at this time that has been publicly put out there against the industry makers of any flatirons, blowdryers, etc. No lawsuits filed, no court cases, absolutely nothing. Which is why, none of these straightening tools come with labels with warnings on them, that conclusively state that they have the ability to cause permanent heat damage. Do some females give their hair enough time to fully revert back after having high levels of heat on it? In many cases, no they honestly don't. Some will just rush and get their hair cut off, thinking that they have permanent heat damage, and that getting a major cut is the only way to resolve such. One thing they don't understand is that there is no exact time table that exists when it comes to hair reversion. As, none of our is genetically the same, and the way that we choose to care of it is not the same either. The word permanent means "lasting or intended to last or remain unchanged indefinitely", and just because ones hair may look a certain way at this point in their life, there is no permanent guarantee that that person's hair will remain the same way for the rest of their life. Often what individuals have going on with their hair, are things that can be resolved, but they must know how to do so in the right way.

I will tell you, what i have seen that equates to real heat damaged hair, is hair that has become so fried till the hair is very brittle, severely dried out, and is falling out in clumps/shedding like crazy. And, that's when there's a real state of emergency going on with ones hair, and a definite cut will surely be needed, as well as a well planned out treatment regimen designed to get ones hair back to being fully restored healthwise, and to remain that way, according to the regimen provided for that individual to then go by thereafter.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file