Questions for those who live in apartments with neighbors upstairs?

koolkurlkoolkurl Posts: 252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Did anyone here have issues with a neighbor upstairs that made a lot of noise walking around in their apt after midnight and kept you awake? Apparently when the apt was redone after a fire they just put the floors down with thin cheap plywood and nothing under it. How would you handle such an issue? It is so loud earplugs do not help.

Comments

• MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    I have nothing to add, other than this hilarious video

Everyone's Upstairs Neighbor
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi, yes, I had exactly the same situation as you, down to the fire, and the rebuild using cheap, thin floors, and everything. It's a weird coincidence lol. And I had neighbors upstairs that were up at all hours of the night. I suggest getting a LOUD FAN, seriously, they sell some for about $25 at Walmart, and they create that perfect white noise, it cancels out everything. That was the only way I was able to live through that. To this day, I still sleep with a fan on, I love them!

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh, and maybe put an anonymous note on their door, not mean or anything, but just a quick one, telling them that everyone can hear them? I did that, and it seemed to help...but some people might get mad about that kind of thing.. IDK

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,224Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I also would try putting a note under their door. It's so inconsiderate of your neighbors to be making noise so late.

You could also consider confronting them face to face. Could you get a friend to go with you for support so that you might feel less intimidated? There's a good chance that your neighbor simply doesn't realize that the noise carries downstairs and may just be more considerate in future.

I had this problem with a dog that barked endlessly. I left a nice note and the problem stopped. Good luck and please let us know how this resolves. It is no fun at all to be kept awake at night - really a serious problem.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'd leave a note too. Also mention to apt powers that be. They could maybe add a layer of carpet foam when next they change it. I have a dog above me that runs at night. Sounds like a herd of elephants. But it kind of makes me laugh and ends by bedtime.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • wavypenwavypen Posts: 253Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah it really could be normal walking that just sounds really loud because of poor construction. I don't think it's reasonable to ask people to stop walking around (if that's what it is, if they're practicing the hakka or something like that it's reasonable to ask them to stop doing that so late and expect that if they don't change you will get management involved) after midnight. I've lived in places below really loud walkers too, including right now, it sucks, but it's unreasonable to ask people to stop walking around because it's late. Where I live now I use pink noise (it's an MP3 of ocean waves hitting a shore and I keep it on repeat all night or mostly day in my case) and I wear earplugs. And I hear almost none of it anymore, it rarely wakens me and I'm less grouchy. And I'm saying this as someone with really severe, difficult to treat, not infrequently ending up at the ER migraines triggered by sleep problems, so things like this really bother me, but I have to step back and figure out if what I want changed is something that is reasonable to ask for. Like neighbors are throwing a party and they rarely have parties, maybe a couple times a year, not reasonable to ask them to stop ever throwing parties, but reasonable to ask them to tell you in advance so you can stay at a friends or relatives. But neighbors throwing loud party 2-3 times a week, yeah unless it's a dorm or something definitely reasonable to ask that they have fewer parties and bring it up with management and depending on where you are maybe calling the police non-emergency on noise complaint if the first two approaches don't work.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,560Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I had a similar situation. I had to go the fan route, and that worked pretty well. I mentioned it to the apt. manager too, so that they could take care of any situation with the carpeting when the tenant left.

I did also write a note to the neighbor letting them know it was a problem and asking them to be quieter if possible. It didn't work, unfortunately. But at least I had tried.

I wouldn't get too caught up in whether it's reasonable or unreasonable to ask, because you're just letting them know that it's a problem and you're not saying they have to stop. It's possible that once they know they disturb you, they will change their behavior out of consideration for you regardless of whether they feel they have the right to walk around at all hours.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Is it just footsteps and day-to-day common noises? Or is it blaring music, fights, nonstop dog-barking, moving furniture, etc.?

If it's just footsteps and the like, I don't think the neighbor is doing it intentionally to bug you; most ppl aren't like that. He/she might work nights or something and can't help it. I would record it and give the recording to the landlord/property manager w/ a log of dates/times when it occurred, and instances when it woke you up or interfered w/ something you were doing. It's really the landlord's problem to resolve. And possible solutions could be a better subfloor, better padding, a fan (and deduction from your rent to cover the electric usage), a white noise machine, high-quality, noise-canceling ear plugs, etc...but the landlord should cover the expense.

However, if your upstairs neighbor also has an upstairs neighbor, then you might mention it to your immediate upstairs neighbor, asking if he/she also notices any loud noise from above and would be willing to co-sign the letter to the landlord.

• BelleBohemienneBelleBohemienne Posts: 375Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've lived in current place for almost 3 years and have been through 5 or 6 new upstairs neighbors. I make it a point that when I meet them I let them know that the floor/ceiling is thin and I can hear everything right down to walking. I just ask them to be mindful of their footfalls. Believe or not, so people are heavy footed and they have no idea that their footfalls are so loud.

I know most people suggested leaving a note and that's a good idea, but it also is a very passive aggressive way to go about things and people would have much more respect for you if you speak to them face to face. A note can be misconstrued and the writer thought of as obnoxious. Speaking to them face to face in a polite and friendly way with a smile is the best way to explain your side without your neighbors misunderstanding your position. I'd try to grab them one day and say "Hey. I'm your downstairs neighbor. I just wanted to let you know that the floor/ceiling between us is quite thin and I can hear everything going on upstairs." I bet they'll understand.

Also, if it is the flooring, perhaps a phone call to the landlord will help that out, so they can install some carpet or something.

Good luck!!

~Belle Bohemienne
    ~Belle Bohemienne

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present." -Lao Tzu
  • koolkurlkoolkurl Posts: 252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks so much everyone for your help and feedback. I think I am going to use an air purifier that I have at night that has a white noise sound.I am hesitant to leave a note for the upstairs neighbor as the last time I did that with the neighbor across from me when he kept me up 2 nights in a row he got very nasty and slipped a note under my door that I should get earplugs.
    He never talked to me again either. The landlord is a bully so I don't want to have contact with him unless it is absolutely necessary....Maybe I should save up for a house!
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    koolkurl wrote: »
    Thanks so much everyone for your help and feedback. I think I am going to use an air purifier that I have at night that has a white noise sound.I am hesitant to leave a note for the upstairs neighbor as the last time I did that with the neighbor across from me when he kept me up 2 nights in a row he got very nasty and slipped a note under my door that I should get earplugs.
    He never talked to me again either. The landlord is a bully so I don't want to have contact with him unless it is absolutely necessary....Maybe I should save up for a house!

Don't allow anyone to intimidate you. You pay for the quiet enjoyment of your residence. And remember what they say about attracting flies...

But yes, I sped up my homebuying efforts, too, back when a neighbor was F'ing w/ me and the rental office would not intervene on my behalf.

• DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That's annoying. In a previous apartment, I could hear the upstair neighbours whenever anyone wore heals and when they were having sex. It was odd because besides the woman moaning, the bed also made a lot of noise, but not so much that squeaky noise you'd expect from the matress. It was as if the whole bed itself was being thrashed repeatedly against the floor. But I honestly don''t mind that so much...let people have their fun. I wouldn't dream of telling people to stop, lol.

It was the neighbours living next to me that drove me crazy because of all the fighting, but the woman who lived there...you don't want to get on her bad side. I once witnessed from my window her pounding her fists on her mother in law, who was lying on the pavement, and screaming out loud for her to stay away form her daughter. This went on until a police officer pulled her away. Needless to say I kept quiet about the noise.
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    wavypen wrote: »
    Yeah it really could be normal walking that just sounds really loud because of poor construction. I don't think it's reasonable to ask people to stop walking around (if that's what it is, if they're practicing the hakka or something like that it's reasonable to ask them to stop doing that so late and expect that if they don't change you will get management involved) after midnight. I've lived in places below really loud walkers too, including right now, it sucks, but it's unreasonable to ask people to stop walking around because it's late. Where I live now I use pink noise (it's an MP3 of ocean waves hitting a shore and I keep it on repeat all night or mostly day in my case) and I wear earplugs. And I hear almost none of it anymore, it rarely wakens me and I'm less grouchy. And I'm saying this as someone with really severe, difficult to treat, not infrequently ending up at the ER migraines triggered by sleep problems, so things like this really bother me, but I have to step back and figure out if what I want changed is something that is reasonable to ask for. Like neighbors are throwing a party and they rarely have parties, maybe a couple times a year, not reasonable to ask them to stop ever throwing parties, but reasonable to ask them to tell you in advance so you can stay at a friends or relatives. But neighbors throwing loud party 2-3 times a week, yeah unless it's a dorm or something definitely reasonable to ask that they have fewer parties and bring it up with management and depending on where you are maybe calling the police non-emergency on noise complaint if the first two approaches don't work.

I completely agree! It is more than likely quick and piss poor repairs after the fire damage causing the problem as opposed to people stomping just to annoy someone they do not know. If they skimped on the insulation it can amplify the sound by a million and as Spider said, they may work night or swing shift schedules. It's rather common and nothing to fault a person for.

I recently watched a YT video where a couple had to ask their downstairs neighbor, who was blocking their door so they could not shut it, to leave. She came up to their apartment and went insane. Started making racial comments about their whiteness, claiming they hated black people and that was okay because she hated crackers, and accusing them of doing it on purpose. Making death threats. The woman was clearly unhinged and they filmed for good reason but some how got a public backlash calling them racist. Such absurdity over a common problem with apartment life that few do intentionally but this is more the norm now. I field numerous calls from people on the 4th of July who are pissed about firework noise. The new excuse to get people to stop fireworks is "I have PTSD". You're going to have to deal with it for one night. People who live in apartments filled with college age students who are surprised and upset about the noise. What did you expect? And people livid because someone is having their first party in the 3 years they have lived there. You have to deal with others in that setting.

Don't think I'm barking at you though OP. I'm not. It's annoying and you know people can get crazy if you bring it up. I would mention the lack of insulation to the apartment owners/managers and try some of the noise blocking ideas people mentioned. I grew up in a house beside the highway. It was a 2 lane when my parents bought it but switched to 4 soon after. Traffic increased 10 fold during my years there. I could not very well ask people not to drive down a public road or ask truckers to stop using their jake brake and shaking the house, every single time they drove by. It's amazing how quickly I got used to it. I could sleep thru it with no problems. It just took a bit of adjusting.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file