Can Over Conditioned Hair be Reversed?

machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Hi I over conditioned my hair with a Shea Moisture treatment which is very conditioning follower by a very conditioning condish. The symptoms are looks like I rubbed a balloon over my head, lot of strays sticking out.

Anyway to help reverse this or just have to let it get better on it's own?

Comments

• curlynccurlync Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I believe I've read on this forum that protein can help balance over-conditioned hair, so perhaps a protein treatment and/or regular conditioning with a light conditioner high in protein is needed until your hair gets back to normal. I don't recall the specifics, but it would be worth researching.
    2c/3a
    Porosity: low at roots; normal mid-shaft; high at ends
    Texture: mix of medium & coarse
    Density: medium

Low-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather; CJ Gentle Cleansing
    RO: GVP Conditioning Balm; Innersense Color Radiance
    Stylers: MT Curly Custard; CHS Curl Keeper; UFD Curly Magic; Innersense I Create Volume

Occasional use: CJ Repair Me; Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo

CG (or mod CG since I low-poo?) since June 2015
  • machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    curlync wrote: »
    I believe I've read on this forum that protein can help balance over-conditioned hair, so perhaps a protein treatment and/or regular conditioning with a light conditioner high in protein is needed until your hair gets back to normal. I don't recall the specifics, but it would be worth researching.

I can live with it. Will my hair get back to normal? Don't think I want to do a protein treatment. I did what I thought was a protein treatment and it was but also extremely conditioning along with the extremely conditioning conditioner.

Unless someone can come up with a more simpler solution.
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It will definitely reverse. I would start by clarifying, especially since you're looking to avoid doing a protein treatment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    Corrina777 wrote: »
    It will definitely reverse. I would start by clarifying, especially since you're looking to avoid doing a protein treatment.

I'm not looking to avoid a protein treatment. I'm very apprehensive because I thought I was doing a protein treatment but was also extremely moisturizing.

All I need is someone to suggest a protein treatment so I don't have to go through this mistake again.
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    A great protein treatment is Sally's Colorful Neutral Protein Filler. You can mix a few drops in your conditioner.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    sixelamy wrote: »
    A great protein treatment is Sally's Colorful Neutral Protein Filler. You can mix a few drops in your conditioner.

Ok thanks. Is his a protein treatment or is it just a filler and the filler will fix it gradually?
  • gactrainergactrainer Posts: 23Registered Users
    Definitely go for Aphogee 2 step treatment(or at least just get the protein treatment by their line, and you can wash it out and follow up with your own conditioner).

It helps stop breakage and helped me when my hair got way too soft and fluffy from devacurl(I'm sure I over moisturized as well).

It's a bit pricey but you can find it at Sally's, and check reviews on YouTube. A lot of people get great results with its continued use
    gactrainer wrote: »
    Definitely go for Aphogee 2 step treatment(or at least just get the protein treatment by their line, and you can wash it out and follow up with your own conditioner).

It helps stop breakage and helped me when my hair got way too soft and fluffy from devacurl(I'm sure I over moisturized as well).

It's a bit pricey but you can find it at Sally's, and check reviews on YouTube. A lot of people get great results with its continued use

Thanks! I watched some YouTube videos and been reading a lot about this treatment and it looks good.

I have to admit although I like the looks of this solution a part of me is VERY apprehensive and concerned. I'm not saying your suggestion is bad or anything. What I'm saying I asked who I thought was an expert their opinion on the Shea Moisture product as a protein treatment and they said it good.

So I went ahead and followed the instructions. The instructions said to follow up with Shea moisture condish and I emailed the person who I asked and asked if another brand was OK and they said shouldn't be a problem.

What happened was soft, mushy 'looks like I took a balloon and rubbed it over my hair'.

I then emailed them and told them my symptoms and the cause was over conditioned hair because the Shea moisture product is VERY conditioning followed by Deva One Condish which is very conditioning.

Can anyone give me some encouragement on doing this Aphogee treatment? LOL
    Been reading about clarifying my hair and evaluate where my hair is at.

Do I clarify then let it air dry with no product? What am I looking for?
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The two times I was massively overconditioned, I got improvement doing the two step of 1. clarifying shampoo followed by 2. deep protein treatment. The protein treatment can't just be some condish with protein. It has to be heavy-duty protein. I used K-Pak. Aphogee is also a strong protein one, though I've never used it. You can also try a protein spray. Spiral Solutions used to have one that worked for me when I was a LITTLE overconditioned--just spray that keratin sucker right on me.
    Keratin seemed to work best for me. A heavy-duty keratin treatment. (Treatment being key rather than condish).

Normally, you know it's a real protein tx if it says, "follow with a deep non-protein conditioner"--ie, two-step. First step --protein. Second step-condish. But when I was overconditioned, I just used a rinse out condish for the second step and it was enough (rather than a rich condish).

You'll have to research and read labels, but if you want to give it a try, thta's how I got over overconditioning.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    MirCurls wrote: »
    The two times I was massively overconditioned, I got improvement doing the two step of 1. clarifying shampoo followed by 2. deep protein treatment. The protein treatment can't just be some condish with protein. It has to be heavy-duty protein. I used K-Pak. Aphogee is also a strong protein one, though I've never used it. You can also try a protein spray. Spiral Solutions used to have one that worked for me when I was a LITTLE overconditioned--just spray that keratin sucker right on me.
    Keratin seemed to work best for me. A heavy-duty keratin treatment. (Treatment being key rather than condish).

Normally, you know it's a real protein tx if it says, "follow with a deep non-protein conditioner"--ie, two-step. First step --protein. Second step-condish. But when I was overconditioned, I just used a rinse out condish for the second step and it was enough (rather than a rich condish).

You'll have to research and read labels, but if you want to give it a try, thta's how I got over overconditioning.

I got a clarifying shampoo from Sally's. Going to use it this morning. Haven't gotten a protein treatment or a protein rich condish yet cause I'm apprehensive about a protein treatment and don't know which protein rich condish to buy. Labels are confusing trying to look for protein that's near the top of the list.

I'll do the clarifying shampoo and I'm working today and since I work outside I'll wear a hat cause my hair will prob look horrible until I can find a protein treatment that I'm confident in or a protein rich condish.

I'm not necessarily looking for quick results but would like to see my hair on the road to recovery.

My very wavy hair is so soft, weak and not strong it's proofing out instead of being very wavy.
    macher wrote: »

I got a clarifying shampoo from Sally's. Going to use it this morning. Haven't gotten a protein treatment or a protein rich condish yet cause I'm apprehensive about a protein treatment and don't know which protein rich condish to buy. Labels are confusing trying to look for protein that's near the top of the list.

I'll do the clarifying shampoo and I'm working today and since I work outside I'll wear a hat cause my hair will prob look horrible until I can find a protein treatment that I'm confident in or a protein rich condish.

I'm not necessarily looking for quick results but would like to see my hair on the road to recovery.

My very wavy hair is so soft, weak and not strong it's proofing out instead of being very wavy.

If you have hair that is feeling stretchy, poofy, and limp, then yeah, sounds overconditioned. Make sure it's stretchy--like when you run your fingers through your hair, they just PULL out like taffy sort of. Not snap like brittle sticks.

I wish someone would tell us if there is a protein spray akin to the Spiral Solutions one. I'd always use something simple like that as a first step. If it doesn't work, then the reconstructor/protein tx.

If you are protein-sensitive, be careful. If you are high porosity and stretchy, then fine.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09

Curl Junkie Conditions!

~CJ Protein Tx

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

If you have hair that is feeling stretchy, poofy, and limp, then yeah, sounds overconditioned. Make sure it's stretchy--like when you run your fingers through your hair, they just PULL out like taffy sort of. Not snap like brittle sticks.

I wish someone would tell us if there is a protein spray akin to the Spiral Solutions one. I'd always use something simple like that as a first step. If it doesn't work, then the reconstructor/protein tx.

If you are protein-sensitive, be careful. If you are high porosity and stretchy, then fine.

My hair stretches out like taffy and doesn't snap like brittle sticks. Feels very smooth but a 'too smooth and conditioned' feeling. Might look ok from the outside but it feels weak.

Don't know if I'm protein sensitive or not.

Just did the clarifying. Didn't put any products in. Scrunched dried my hair and letting it air dry.

What I notice is my hair is squeaky if that makes sense. Also what I notice is my hair didn't feel as wet if that makes sense. Usually takes 3 hours for my hair to dry but looks like it might take less than that.

I got a hair analysis from Gooseprints and these are my properties.

Hair strand thickness: Medium
    Hair elasticity dry: Normal
    Hair elasticity wet: Low
    Porosity: low at roots, normal mid-shaft, mostly normal at ends but slightly more porous than the middle
    Update: clarified my hair. When I was in the shower as I posted previously my hair felt 'squeaky'. After I scrunched dried a little decided to plop. Been like an hour. Some of my ends are getting dry probably cause my ends are slightly more porous than my normal mid shaft.

Don't know if the clarifying worked or didn't keep it in long enough or I was expecting a different result. I was expecting my hair to still be 'squeaky'. But it still feels like over conditioned hair feeling. My hair is still damp/wet in majority of my hair.

My hair still feels so weak that it's getting in my eyes. Have to leave for work in about and hour and I'm wearing a hat.
    gactrainer wrote: »

Just bought the Apoghee 2 step. Did you use a hooded dryer?
    Had a free consultation at an Aveda Salon near me that has a pretty good reputation. She checked out my hair and said my curl is starting to come back. She said I'll get back to normal and doesn't suggest a protein treatment. Recommends just to cleanse hair with no product other product.
    Had a free consultation at an Aveda Salon near me that has a pretty good reputation. She checked out my hair and said my curl is starting to come back. She said I'll get back to normal and doesn't suggest a protein treatment. Recommends just to cleanse hair with no product other product.

Good. If just washing fixes it, then that makes life way easier. :D

I was gonna leave another post yesterday to just try a clarifying poo first--and see how that alone goes. I got lazy.

Best with it.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09

Curl Junkie Conditions!

~CJ Protein Tx

Good. If just washing fixes it, then that makes life way easier. :D

I was gonna leave another post yesterday to just try a clarifying poo first--and see how that alone goes. I got lazy.

Best with it.

It's not that cleansing will fix it, it will fix itself. Then when my hair gets back to where it was, she recommended products with protein similar to Aveda Be Curly. She said I don't need bonafied protein treatments like Apoghee etc.

It is getting better.
  • centralvalleygirlcentralvalleygirl Posts: 17Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    so glad I found this thread because I am pretty sure I have over conditioned hair. Dew points are high but air is cooler and my hair is limp, frizzy and undefined. I think maybe I can use less protein in lower dew points?? I did a PT and expected a miracle but apparently it takes a bit longer to get back to normal. I will not do another PT but just use a leave in or conditioner with keratin in it.
    2C & 3B curls
    Low Porosity
    Med Density
    Fine width

My hair hates Wheat protein
    Shampoo: L'Oreal EverCreme Nourishing Shampoo
    Conditioner: Aussie Moist
    Leave In: GVP The Conditioner

Protein treatment: GVP knock off of K-Pak
    currently loving Curls in a bottle and Curl Keeper
    so glad I found this thread because I am pretty sure I have over conditioned hair. Dew points are high but air is cooler and my hair is limp, frizzy and undefined. I think maybe I can use less protein in lower dew points?? I did a PT and expected a miracle but apparently it takes a bit longer to get back to normal. I will not do another PT but just use a leave in or conditioner with keratin in it.

I used Aubrey's GPB as a protein treatment. I saw some progress on the 1st try but it took about 2 weeks for my hair to get back to normal. I didn't want to use a strong treatment like Apolgee.

I over conditioned/moisturized my hair again with Aveda products. I'm seeing my hair doesn't need as much moisture as I think it does only on the ends. My ends are high porous. Now I'm back to using Aubrey's GPB more regularly.
  • JasminealizaeJasminealizae Posts: 1Registered Users
    For the last month and a half I've been using a Cantu leave-in conditioner. I've been using it everyday and only washing my hair once a week. (This is my first time using a leave-in conditioner since going natural in May 2016.) the last week leading up to today, I've been noticing less and less curl in my hair. I think my hair is over conditioned. What can I do, "home remedy" wise, to get my curls back. I wet my hair everyday and add in my leave-in conditioner to style and mousturize my hair. 9/10 that's my only product other than water on a daily baises. I find that it's very light weight as opposed to Shae Moisture's Curl Enhancing Smoothie that I was using everyday before this. So I stopped using everything else all together.

A lot of people say to wash my hair with just shampoo and then follow it up with a protein treatment; such as mayonnaise hair mask for 10-15 minutes then wash it out. Is this a good idea? And if so do I wash it out with just shampoo and no conditioner and just let it air dry or do I add a product afterwards so that my hair won't feel super dry from washig it twice with shampoo in one day...?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file