Shea Moisture Treatment

machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Did a shea moisture tahitian noni smooth and repair hair and scalp weekly therapy treatment this morning.

Taking suggestions from my hair analysis that I could benefit fro
protein treatment to help repair my low wet elasticity. I have normal dry elasticity. Since my hair hardly is damaged(just a little) it was suggested I leave it in for 5 minutes.

I cleansed my hair then dried it some with a cotton tee. I then saturated my hair with the product as the directions say. The first thing I noticed was the smell was pretty strong. It wasn't a bad smell but a strong smell that I didn't expect. The directions say leave in for 20-40 minutes but like I said it was suggested to start with 5 minutes since my hair is hardly damaged.

As I was applying the product I noticed it kind of helped de tangle my hair. I'm told "Shea Moisture wisely included lots of ingredients to soften and lubricate - conditioners and emollients. That creates a balance between support vs. softness (or what is usually referred to as "protein vs. moisture" online)."

When it was in my hair for 5 minutes it sort of felt like there was a leave in conditioner feeling. Sort of a heavy thick feeling, hard to explain. I've read that protein treatments can make your hair feel stiff. My hair didn't feel stiff. Looks like this type of treatment isn't a bonafied protein treatment but is considered one because of how close keratin is in the beginning of the ingredients list and other ingredients that make it quite protein heavy.

Has anyone tried this product?

Comments

• machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Took about 3 hours for my hair to dry.

What I noticed was my hair wasn't crunchy. I applied Deva Frizz Free Volumizing Foam. Not sure if I applied enough because my hair usually gets crunchy.

What I did different was I used quite a bit of Deva One Condition instead of Tresemme Perfectly Undone. The reason I used Deva One because it's much richer and thinking after the treatment I needed a 'heavier' conditioner. I then applied Deva Foam and then scrunched dried my hair really good, scrunched dried it more than normal.

Couple of thoughts. I've been told that Deva One is pretty protein rich. Signs of too much protein I'm told are; hair can become too soft or can become too stiff and rough and tangly feeling.

Just some random observations. My hair is soft. Not sure if it's too soft. My hair is more 'flat' not as much volume, not as much wave as I'm usually more whirly. I kind of like the more toned down wavy look anyway. My hair does seem pretty moisturized though, sort of silky type of moisturized. Seems like my hair is being weighed down. Don't have a lot of hold, maybe didn't apply enough Deva Foam to get a more crunch. Hair feels healthy but notice not as 'rigid'. Notice some halo frizz or halo flyaways.

Some is educated guesses. Only left treatment on for 5 minutes and saturated my hair according to instructions. Maybe too much product saturation. I did rinse out very well. Like I said I used Deva One which is pretty protein rich. Possible combo of protein rich treatment and protein rich condish causing hair to be softer than usual or maybe my hair is suppose to be this soft. Maybe I needed to apply Deva Gel instead of Deva Foam to get a stronger hold and a crunch to fluff out the crunch.

Anyone can chip in would be appreciated!
    Here's a pic of 'finished' look.
    Update about 4 hours later. I kind of like the loose curly wavy look. A concern is my hair is lighter than usual. Sort of an over moisturized feeling. Hair doesn't look bad though. One thing I'm noticing is that my scalp is itchy. I'm suspecting it's from the Deva One Condition. I stopped using it and was testing other brands. As I said before I thought I needed a very rich condish after the treatment.

After my hair calmed down a bit I guess I have the volume that I'm used too, although I'm not concerned about volume.

My hair is pretty light weight from what I'm used too!
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Your hair looks nice!

In general, I associate protein overload with rough hair, though maybe others will chime in if they have different experiences. My guess would be that the product you used contained a lot of conditioners to try to compensate for the apparent drying effect protein can have on the hair. So perhaps using the Deva One made the hair overconditioned. I would try the treatment again after your hair is back to normal and see what happens if you use a different conditioner--or maybe no conditioner at all, if you feel like your hair is suitably moisturized after the treatment.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Therese1 wrote: »
    Your hair looks nice!

In general, I associate protein overload with rough hair, though maybe others will chime in if they have different experiences. My guess would be that the product you used contained a lot of conditioners to try to compensate for the apparent drying effect protein can have on the hair. So perhaps using the Deva One made the hair overconditioned. I would try the treatment again after your hair is back to normal and see what happens if you use a different conditioner--or maybe no conditioner at all, if you feel like your hair is suitably moisturized after the treatment.

Yep my hair is definitely over conditioned. The Shea product is very conditioning then I followed with a pretty rich Deva One condition.

Next time I'll take your advice and maybe use no conditioner since it's very moisturizing to begin with.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file