What shampoo to use?

curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
If you use a permanent color dye and are cg, what shampoo do you use? I am trying to go as cg as possible but I use a regular sulfate shampoo when i dye my hair (L'oreal permanent dye) because I don't want to leave any trace of dye on my scalp. I can really see the difference - not a good one, when I do this. Would a low poo be sufficient to remove alll the dye from my scalp?
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• Curlybeauty_xoCurlybeauty_xo Registered Users Posts: 24
    Did you dye your hair yourself? If so, the box should come with a shampoo for you to use. Then when you rinse your hair & you don't see any color come out in the water, switch to a sulfate free shampoo?
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Curlybeauty, I do dye my hair myself with L'oreal Preference. There is no shampoo in the box. I think i will just use a mild shampoo with sulfates when I dye my hair. It's a compromise, but I just can't bring myself to use a shampoo without sulfates that might not clean out all the dye.

What I do is dilute the shampoo so that it isn't as stripping.

thanks for your input!
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • PerriPPerriP Registered Users Posts: 6,613 Curl Neophyte
    CP I dye my own with L'Oréal too. I don't shampoo. I rinse it out and condition (CG conditioner). I use my regular low poo once every 7-10 days. Co wash or water wash in between. As far as I know, there's no dye left behind.

~ sent with love and good intentions ~
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
    Thanks, Perri. I really want to do that! I appreciate that you told me and I'm going to try it and see how my scalp feels/looks. If I don't see any dye - I'm good to go. :flower:
  • CurlMeisterCurlMeister Registered Users Posts: 9
    What does cg mean?
  • MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Registered Users Posts: 609 Curl Connoisseur
    What does cg mean?

hi :) .

its an abbreviation for Curly Girl/Lorraine Massey's philosophy on curl care,..Welcome!!
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    Dye was always left on my scalp as well. I would think a non sulfate shampoo would be sufficient if you scrub well enough? I know they don't recommend shampooing for at least 24 hours after a dye to keep it from fading.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    Sixe, you are right that it is recommended not to shampoo for 24 hours after dyeing. I never followed that advice because I worry about the chemicals in the dye so I always shampoo right away.

I did try Perri's method but I couldn't help worrying about the dye so after a day I shampooed it.
  • Rachell5Rachell5 Registered Users Posts: 6
    My hair doesn't like sulfate free shampoos so I've always just used regular sulfate shampoos after dying my hair.
  • Rachell5Rachell5 Registered Users Posts: 6
    The color does seem to fade but that might happen with all hair dyes. I don't know if it has anything to do with the shampoo.
    Thanks for your input, Rachell5. I'm going to stick with a gentle sulfate shampoo, well diluted.
  • stream26stream26 Registered Users Posts: 40 Curl Neophyte
    My hair is curly while also very fine, so it's sort of dry, but sparse enough along my scalp that any oil weights down the roots and make it look piecey. I bought a Carol's Daughter sulfate-free conditioner, which I didn't realize was for textured hair (mine is not), on a whim and it changed. my. life. My hair is softer, healthier, and fuller than it's ever been, and I've tried basically every volumizing trick in existence - fancy shampoos, vitamin sets, DIY no-poo regimens, you name it.
  • lovelydaylovelyday Registered Users Posts: 6
    the shampoo that i use is SheaMoisture's Sulfate-free Moisture Retention Shampoo, and i'm satisfied with how it cleans my hair. Sometimes I alter it with various Korean shampoos that I order when I do my KBeauty hauls, some of them are really inexpensive but they clean my hair well and make the dye last well enough.
  • maryware77maryware77 Registered Users Posts: 45 Curl Neophyte
    As you are a CG and you dye your hair and don't really want to leave dye color on your scalp etc. keeping in view all such aspects the best treatment for you would be to use GKhair moisturizing color protection shampoo which is sulfate and sodium chloride free. All what you need to do is to follow the given below steps:

1) Pour some shampoo on your hand and apply to wet hair.

2) Massage your hair and create a slight lather.

3) Now wash your hair and if you want you can apply GKhair moisturizing conditioner.

Just for information - both shampoo and conditioner can do wonders to your hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file