Favorite detangling tools and methods?

bookgrdngirlbookgrdngirl Posts: 403Registered Users Curl Neophyte
As someone who spends so much time detangling, I'd love to hear everyone's favorite tools and methods for detangling. :love5:

After reading today's post on NC about a horse brush, I think I'm going to buy it to see if it can help me in my detangling!! I'm going to get a new paddle brush, as well. I'm thinking of incorporating a pre-poo dentangling before my shower as well. So far, I'm spending about 35-45 minutes detangling my hair on a GOOD day!

Right now, I use a wide toothed comb, a D41 Denman and finger detangling as my detangling tools. I detangle in the shower after letting my conditioner sit for 5-15 minutes in my hair after washing it. I'd love to hear everyone's favorite tools and methods! Detangling is one of the most frustrating and time consuming aspects of my hair care. I haven't found a method yet that works completely!
Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
  • Giovanni: Avocado and Olive Oil (RO), Tea Tree Sham & Con (CW/RO)
  • KC: KT, CC, CC
  • CR: CM, GR, AWB, Balm
  • CJ: DF, CIAB, SL, CR
  • CURLS: Souffle
  • AV Juice
  • EVOO

Comments

• machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    As someone who spends so much time detangling, I'd love to hear everyone's favorite tools and methods for detangling. :love5:

After reading today's post on NC about a horse brush, I think I'm going to buy it to see if it can help me in my detangling!! I'm going to get a new paddle brush, as well. I'm thinking of incorporating a pre-poo dentangling before my shower as well. So far, I'm spending about 35-45 minutes detangling my hair on a GOOD day!

Right now, I use a wide toothed comb, a D41 Denman and finger detangling as my detangling tools. I detangle in the shower after letting my conditioner sit for 5-15 minutes in my hair after washing it. I'd love to hear everyone's favorite tools and methods! Detangling is one of the most frustrating and time consuming aspects of my hair care. I haven't found a method yet that works completely!

I guess it depends on hair properties. I have medium/course hair. I normally finger comb to detangle. Works if condish has the slip. When I rake the condish and get a snag then I just apply a drop of condish in that area.

Our son on the other hand who has 3 type medium/course hair uses a wide tooth comb to help detangle. I think it's a Goody comb but it's pretty wide tooth.
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I just put conditioner on my hair, work it through with my fingers and it's done. My hair's shoulder length and on the fine side of normal, maybe that's why it's not an issue for me. Even when my hair was longer and thicker though, I never had to do detangling as a 'thing', I can't imagine spending that amount of time on it, it must be very frustrating (and rather boring!).
    3b in South Australia.
  • DrRachDrRach Posts: 264Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you can get a sample of living proof curl detangling rinse I highly recommend this. I apply my conditioner without detangling then rinse and follow with a small amount of detangler rinse. The slip on this stuff is incredible, I have never used a product like this but it's now a staple. I can go straight to my denman without finger detangling first, it makes my hair feel super silky once rinsed off and I lose way less hair.
    3 b Baby fine, Low density, high porosity, naturally pale blonde. And a UK Curly Girl:thumbleft:
    No/Low Poo: Palmers Olive Oil Cowash
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    DT/PT: CJ Repair Me!, SM Fruit Fusion
    Stylers: LUS Curly 3in1 leave in

• BeautyOGBeautyOG Posts: 383Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Currently I'm using a jumbo rake comb and homemade DC for a detangler in the shower.

Sent from my QMV7B using CurlTalk App
    My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

• AfromuffinAfromuffin Posts: 158Registered Users
    I brought a comb similar to the horse comb, it's very good when used with conditoner that has slip.
    I went to trader joes and picked up the nourish spa conditioner, it detangled my hair nicely and felt like I was putting lotion on, felt really good!
    But I understand what you mean by detangling. I tried detangling/ finger detangling in the shower and it's too messy for me. I like doing it outside the shower since I can easily cut knots off and see the condition of my hair.
  • SortaRicanSortaRican Posts: 310Registered Users
    I use a wide tooth comb with a ton of conditioner in my hair. I prefer the comb instead of finger detangling b/c it's so much faster for me. After I've detangled and rinsed then I'll rake my other products (leave-in condit and stylers) into my hair. The entire process takes me about 20 mins.
    3b/3c
    Fine, Long, High Density, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Products
    CoWash: YTC Nourishing Conditioner/AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI: GDLI
    Styler: KCCC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eveumeveum Posts: 744Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Girl I've been there. I used to comb my hair dry. Never again!
    Slippery conditioner and a wide tooth comb is for me the best method for detangling. Some of the best are KC Knot Today and the Tresemme naturals. I've recently started combing under running water. It takes 10 minutes.

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file