Deva Cut?

JunyJuJunyJu Posts: 495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
So it's been about 2 months now since my cut and I'm having mixed emotions about it. Lately I've completely switched up my products and routine, and I'm not so sure the cut works with it too well.

Previously I was applying all products in the shower, leaving my conditioner in and styling that way, as I had been told to do during my Deva Cut. With this method, the only products that worked for me were Deva, and a few others sometimes. I noticed that I needed lighter gels for this, heavy conditioners, and no additional products (which was nice). However Deva products are expensive and although I do have money now, I'd rather not.

My current method is to condition and detangle my hair in the shower, then rinse out the conditioner and apply products to my hair damp. I'm actually really liking this method, as it works for a *variety* of products as opposed to the former, which only favored Deva products. The issue is, my Deva cut seems to only look its best when styled with the former method. Otherwise, it's a little off-kilter and I have to part it just right or else risk a weird uneven-ness. And once again, I'm seeing the 'mullet' kinda thing they've done and it's bugging me. When refreshing my curls I find that there are several strands that are dramatically longer than the rest that hang out in the back and look really odd. I try finger twirling them but they don't seem to even want to shrink up like the other curls, and everyone who sees it thinks it looks like a mistake. I even had a friend who's a stylist offer to 'fix' it for me. So clearly this is not a good look.

Any suggestions? I recently watched a video where a woman went to Fantastic Sams (a chain salon) to get her DevaCut fixed, and they only charged her 20 bucks and gave her an awesome cut. That caught my attention because I used to go to a Fantastic Sams around the corner from my house, but I stopped when I went curly because I wasn't sure if they could handle my hair like this. What do you guys think? Have any of you gotten a good cut from a chain salon? What do you tell them?

This is what I meant by longer strands:
1386e6bd3388498dafab17ff4e1bbf67.jpg
Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
•Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
•CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:

Comments

• curlisue1curlisue1 Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'm having similar issues with my deva cut. I'm just going to fix the longer pieces myself
  • machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have some thoughts. I'm a wavy whirly and I'm thinking and probably will go back to my hair stylist. I'm more into a tossled wavy style like Kurt Cobain or Johhny Depp(long hair). I'm not into a uniform style. My stylist before my Deva one knew how to cut my hair and was pretty satisfied with her.
  • curlisue1curlisue1 Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Novice
    It seems like my deva cut was not tailored to the way I wear my hair. It was cut and styled to flow back away from my face. That's just not how I wear my curls. And while I liked how my hair looked, it was a lot of product to get that look. I don't like to wear that much gel. And using that much gel makes it take forever for my hair to dry which just isn't doable when I have to go to work.
    curlisue1 wrote: »
    It seems like my deva cut was not tailored to the way I wear my hair. It was cut and styled to flow back away from my face. That's just not how I wear my curls. And while I liked how my hair looked, it was a lot of product to get that look. I don't like to wear that much gel. And using that much gel makes it take forever for my hair to dry which just isn't doable when I have to go to work.

Yep a lot of product which I'm not into.

What I like about the Deva Cut was the education. How to cleanse, condish. The styling I can do without like the fillers(curl enhancer) and sealers(gel). I learned how to apply condish and squish it in and how to dry my hair.
  • SortaRicanSortaRican Posts: 310Registered Users
    @JunyJu, is this your first devacut? I ask because when I had my first devacut I loved it and then it started to grow out and I began to hate it. The next time I went to my hairstylist I told her what I didn't like about it and she has been doing a good job of cutting it so that I love it all the way up until my next cut. Maybe you could go back to your stylist and have her tweak it to your liking.

I'd also like to add that I've been getting the devacut for about 2 years now and 2 cuts ago I was able to have her only cut it (without washing it). I've never been able to have my hair done without getting it washed so I was extremely excited. That actually saved me a good chunk of money and time. I wouldn't recommend it until you are fully comfortable with your stylist since you won't see the complete look until you have gone home and washed it yourself but it's nice to know later on down the road. I didn't even think getting JUST a cut was ever an option for my curls.
    3b/3c
    Fine, Long, High Density, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Products
    CoWash: YTC Nourishing Conditioner/AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI: GDLI
    Styler: KCCC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JunyJuJunyJu Posts: 495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It is my first cut, and I am definitely considering asking her to do something a little different next time! :D However...@SortaRican, do you use Deva products? I was just curious because of those who like these cuts, many use the products. I've found rather quickly that I cannot get the shape back unless I use my Deva products (which I no longer have or can afford), and/or the method. However, even with just repeating the method with different products, only one other conditioner has given me even slightly similar results, and it had cones and made my hair look stringy after day 2.

But I will definitely consider giving her a second chance. Either that or I'll just suck it up and wait for Scott Musgrave to be available lol!
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
    •Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
    •CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    @JunyJu Would you mind linking this video of the lady who got the fantastic deva-esq cut from Fantastic Sam's? I'd like to check it out. Damn, I thought I was so annoying ranting about Deva and mullets all the time lol. I hope you figure it out. In terms of products, I was going to say I know some more folks who like the cut and not the products. For example, rbb has been getting Deva's for years and she isn't a fan of their products. I've also heard of people taking their own products when they go in for cuts and that might be something to look into? I always liked coming home and styling my hair with my products when I got devacuts in the past. Like, I would never really know what my hair would look like until I got home kind and did it my way, kind of thing lol. I'm not condoning cutting your own hair, but then I totally am haha.
    @curlysue1 You can totally fix it yourself and I too have that issue because I like my hair to kind of be over my shoulders sometimes and it can look wonky if it's not worn a certain way..
    @macher I really like the kind of look you're talking about and agree that I think the most revolutionary thing about Deva is their approach to curly hair.
    @SortaRican Your stylist sounds cool and that is quite a game changer for the wallet as well. How often do you go and do you wash and style before the cut, or go with not "day one" hair? I'm just curious. I've thought about doing the same, but I kind of feel like my deva cut just wasn't the same after that. I might try another deva stylist one day, but right now I'm just going with the flow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
    @JunyJu Would you mind linking this video of the lady who got the fantastic deva-esq cut from Fantastic Sam's? I'd like to check it out. Damn, I thought I was so annoying ranting about Deva and mullets all the time lol. I hope you figure it out. In terms of products, I was going to say I know some more folks who like the cut and not the products. For example, rbb has been getting Deva's for years and she isn't a fan of their products. I've also heard of people taking their own products when they go in for cuts and that might be something to look into? I always liked coming home and styling my hair with my products when I got devacuts in the past. Like, I would never really know what my hair would look like until I got home kind and did it my way, kind of thing lol. I'm not condoning cutting your own hair, but then I totally am haha.
    @curlysue1 You can totally fix it yourself and I too have that issue because I like my hair to kind of be over my shoulders sometimes and it can look wonky if it's not worn a certain way..
    @macher I really like the kind of look you're talking about and agree that I think the most revolutionary thing about Deva is their approach to curly hair.
    @SortaRican Your stylist sounds cool and that is quite a game changer for the wallet as well. How often do you go and do you wash and style before the cut, or go with not "day one" hair? I'm just curious. I've thought about doing the same, but I kind of feel like my deva cut just wasn't the same after that. I might try another deva stylist one day, but right now I'm just going with the flow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using CurlTalk App

I've gotten a Deva cut a couple of times and thought I liked the products but after using them for a while they seem to either be heavy for my hair or I was using too much. I don't consider myself a curly but a wavy and that could be the reason, don't know. Anyway our younger son who is definitely curly with tight c curls Deva products work great on him. He got another Deva cut a couple of days ago and I have to say it looks great.

Since he's a guy the place he goes to charges men's rate even though he gets a Deva cut, $25-$30. When I went there it was the same.

For his hair 'texture' and curls my opinion is he's better off getting a Deva cut. Most salons don't know how to cut curly hair from my experience.

For me on the other hand with my wavy hair, I was getting my hair point cut if you know what that is. Instead of trimming the ends staight across with the scissors, she would trim into the length with the point of the scissors. Gave me that grungy look which I like. I was getting this done until my hair reached shoulder length which it is now. Now I'm ready for more styling such as layers since my hair is pretty much one length, shoulder length.

I know layers are tricky. I like a more grungy, tossled, messy but looks like I care about my hair look.
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    JunyJu wrote: »
    So it's been about 2 months now since my cut and I'm having mixed emotions about it. Lately I've completely switched up my products and routine, and I'm not so sure the cut works with it too well.

Previously I was applying all products in the shower, leaving my conditioner in and styling that way, as I had been told to do during my Deva Cut. With this method, the only products that worked for me were Deva, and a few others sometimes. I noticed that I needed lighter gels for this, heavy conditioners, and no additional products (which was nice). However Deva products are expensive and although I do have money now, I'd rather not.

My current method is to condition and detangle my hair in the shower, then rinse out the conditioner and apply products to my hair damp. I'm actually really liking this method, as it works for a *variety* of products as opposed to the former, which only favored Deva products. The issue is, my Deva cut seems to only look its best when styled with the former method. Otherwise, it's a little off-kilter and I have to part it just right or else risk a weird uneven-ness. And once again, I'm seeing the 'mullet' kinda thing they've done and it's bugging me. When refreshing my curls I find that there are several strands that are dramatically longer than the rest that hang out in the back and look really odd. I try finger twirling them but they don't seem to even want to shrink up like the other curls, and everyone who sees it thinks it looks like a mistake. I even had a friend who's a stylist offer to 'fix' it for me. So clearly this is not a good look.

Any suggestions? I recently watched a video where a woman went to Fantastic Sams (a chain salon) to get her DevaCut fixed, and they only charged her 20 bucks and gave her an awesome cut. That caught my attention because I used to go to a Fantastic Sams around the corner from my house, but I stopped when I went curly because I wasn't sure if they could handle my hair like this. What do you guys think? Have any of you gotten a good cut from a chain salon? What do you tell them?

This is what I meant by longer strands:
    1386e6bd3388498dafab17ff4e1bbf67.jpg

I go to an aveda salon (not that matters at all), and get my hair cut by a regular stylist. She's by no means a "curly hair artist," and although I'd love love to get my hair cut by Scott Musgrave, that's a little far for this Canadian girl ha ha.

So I go to my regular stylist who does my colour. I don't get my hair cut very often, but when I do, I just ask for long layers, and it's a wet cut. It's never been a bad cut. I don't get the mullet look and if I want to change things I just tell her what I don't like about how it looks when dry.

In between, sometimes I just get a dusting of my ends. Probably with any stylist you have to be watchful of what they're doing, and don't let them use razors or thinning shears etc. That's just my take on it! And if you're going to someone new, try it out by getting barely any length off maybe. Just test it out.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If you have ANY ability to get to Scott i'd go for that!!!!
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • SortaRicanSortaRican Posts: 310Registered Users
    @JunyJu, Initially I was using the deva products but after a while I didn't like the way they made my hair feel or the dent they put in my bank account. My curls looked good but my hair was left dry and stiff. I currently do not use any deva products and I love the results I get using my products in conjunction with the method I learned from my deva cut, of course I have tweaked the method to work best for me. I now get soft defined curls with little frizz.

If she didn't completely botch your head up I would give her a second chance, besides she'll never get better if she doesn't know what she is doing wrong...not that you want your curls to be the guinea pig.

@bringingcurliesback? I'm sure I don't get my hair cut nearly as often as I should but I go every 4 or so months. I usually know it's time when my hair really starts acting up. I'm a wash and go kind of girl mainly because I haven't mastered 2nd day hair just yet so I usually go with first day hair. This may or may not make a difference but my appointments are scheduled in the evening after work so my hair isn't necessarily at its best. By the evening I've flipped my hair who knows how many times, started to separate the curls with my fingers (nervous habit) and pulled it back in a loose ponytail or threw it up in a clip.
    3b/3c
    Fine, Long, High Density, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Products
    CoWash: YTC Nourishing Conditioner/AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI: GDLI
    Styler: KCCC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    chupie wrote: »
    If you have ANY ability to get to Scott i'd go for that!!!!

Oh I'd love it. If I ever head down there that would be a priority for me!
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file