What products play well with Aloe Fix?

curlynccurlync Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I just received a big tub of CJ Aloe Fix and tried it for the first time last night. I used CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner as my rinse out (as I read a dose of protein works well with Aloe Fix, so opted for this rather than my Smoothing Conditioner).
As dews are currently around 60, I did not use a leave-in. I just raked a few globs of the Aloe Fix into wet hair, scrunched, scrunched some more with a flour sack towel, then plopped for a couple hours before going to bed with still very wet hair.

So far, I'm impressed (results in attachment below). My biggest struggle is always root curl and volume - my hairs tends to be straighter and flatter on top. The pieces framing my face always have a loose wave - rarely curl. On average, I have mostly 3a curls with 2c framing my face. On good hair days I get some 3b curls, but those are usually on the underside of my hair or closer to the ends. My goal in all my product experimentation is to always have a head full of 3a and/or 3b curls!

Anyway, back to the Aloe Fix...one think I noticed is that while my hair is "bigger" today, which I LOVE, I have a feeling this means I'll be losing definition and hold throughout the day, and probably won't make it to Day 2. The products that give me great hold and definition also tend to leave my hair flatter or to stretch the curl - neither of which I want.

I'm curious about products that people have had luck with when combining with Aloe Fix. Unfortunately I'm almost out of all my other product samples, so this doesn't leave much room for playing around. I can pretty much try one day with each of the following:
CJ CQ (I've only tried this alone and over CCCC Lite - neither of which impressed me. Left my hair too flat, but perhaps I used too much)
CJ CIAB
CJ CCCC
CJ CCCC Lite
KCCC
MopTop Curl Custard

I also have CJ BCLI and CJ Smoothing Lotion, but I thinking I should probably save these samples for lower dews? I had a Pattern Pusha sample as well, but used that up already...it was so-so, but then again I only tried that alone and never had the opportunity to try mixing with other products before I ran out.

I do have a TON of Deva Ultra Defining Gel as well, as the Deva line was the first I used before I started having issues with it and began spending time here and sampling other products.

Sorry for the long post! Trying to figure out what works for your hair is so overwhelming! Samples go too quickly to be able to experiment with them alone/under another product/over another product, etc.
2c/3a
Porosity: low at roots; normal mid-shaft; high at ends
Texture: mix of medium & coarse
Density: medium

Low-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather; CJ Gentle Cleansing
RO: GVP Conditioning Balm; Innersense Color Radiance
Stylers: MT Curly Custard; CHS Curl Keeper; UFD Curly Magic; Innersense I Create Volume

Occasional use: CJ Repair Me; Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo

CG (or mod CG since I low-poo?) since June 2015

Comments

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i love aloe fix in mid and high dew points (cannot use it in low dews as too much glycerin).
    i 've used it alone and with a leave in. i think any of the cj conditioners/treatmetns work well with it. depends on how dry your hair is. my hair loves it with deep fix. but curl rehab or beauticurls leave in work well with it also. play around and see what it likes.
    also, if you go onto her blog (it's an old one, not updated in years, but still has some very good info), there is an entire blog on aloe fix. you might get some ideas there, but keep in mind it is old and some of the newer conditioners were not out then. if you go to the curl junkie website the menu across the top has a selection for the blog.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • curlynccurlync Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks rbb! With all the time I've spent on this forum, you'd think I would have come across that blog by now!

I'll probably try the CCCC underneath, and maybe even a little of the deva ultra defining gel on top, per her suggestion here:
    "2c, 3a (very wavy hair and those with bigger, looser curls): The gel seems to work best when applied/scrunched (if you want volume) over the Curl Assurance Leave-in (or similar leave-in of your choice) or the CoffeeCoco Curl Creme (use only a small amount) and followed with a touch of a harder holding gel of your choice if desired."

I've been afraid to just try the CCCC w/o really knowing how to use it, as once that sample's gone, it's either gone or I need to commit to a full size without knowing if it'll work once used correctly!
    2c/3a

Stylers: MT Curly Custard; CHS Curl Keeper; UFD Curly Magic; Innersense I Create Volume

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    way back when when i first tried aloe fix, think it was summer of 2010 i did use cccc underneath and it never worked for me. i love cccc, especially in winter, but even with cccc i use a leave in with it.
    it was when i finally spoke with marsha the following year and she told me to try aloe fix alone that it started really working super well for me. now i do use some leave in first as my hair is very dry.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • curlynccurlync Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh that's good to know. As I mentioned, I only have a small amount of the CCCC and CCCC Lite to sample, so I've been holding off until I feel a little more comfortable with what my hair likes/doesn't like. I haven't tried the CCCC at all yet (maybe I'll save it for lower dews), and I've only tried the Lite once under CQ, and a couple of other times on Day 2 I've added a tiny bit to my dry hair to touch things up.
    2c/3a

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file