Allergic to Devacurl and Curl Junkie Products

koolkurlkoolkurl Posts: 252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Does anyone know of any similar types of products that are hypoallergenic or have less fragrances?

Comments

• machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    koolkurl wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any similar types of products that are hypoallergenic or have less fragrances?

I'd like to know too. Lately Deva One Condish or the Frizz Free Fome seems to be making my scalp itch. Hopefully it's a fluke.
  • koolkurlkoolkurl Posts: 252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Macher I hope you can find good replacement products that you are not allergic to as well. My allergic reaction is red swollen eyelids and watery eyes and my vision becomes blurry. I would almost prefer a bad hair day than to have these reactions.Hopefully I can find other products that work almost as well.
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i THINK if you do a search there might be a few threads on this with helpful product suggestions. i have memories of this coming up from time to time.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • CaylynnCaylynn Posts: 117Registered Users
    Jessicurl makes fragrance-free options, if fragrances are the issue.
    Canadian - 2A/2B - chin length, med/avg porosity, medium texture, thick density (but thinning)
    Group fitness instructor & marathon runner - need to wash daily
    Low-poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
    Co-wash: Tresemmé Naturals
    RO: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat, Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    LI: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    Stylers: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone Sea Foam, Andalou Naturals Sunflower & Citrus Gel, Giovanni Naturals Mousse
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have fragrance issues too. Sweet Curls Elixirs does custom products. There is also giovanni (most of their products are chemical fragrance free), Aubrey Organics, Intelligent Nutrients, Shea Moisture, Beautiful Curls.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    koolkurl wrote: »

Are you specifally allergic to artificial/synthetic fragrances added to all products? Or are you allergic to certain ingredients tried within profucts that you have tried from these two lines? The reason why i am asking this is because i was diagnosed with having scalp eczema and seborrheic dermatitis (that i mainly get on my face), plus, i just have very sensitive skin in general. I have not had a good experience with any of the DevaCurl products that i tried in the past, and including them not working for me, they exacerbated my seborrheic dermatis and irritated my scalp. I later learned that it was more than one ingredient (synthetic fragrance that had caused such a reactions to the skin on my scalp and face. I have not gone to an allergist, to find out exactly all of what i am allergic to (however i do plan on going to one in the future), but i do happen to have a list of ingredients that are common irritants to my skin, and allergies. Even though a lot of synthetic fragrances are a no-no for me, i have found a few products that have synthetic fragrances that i am able to tolerate.

My allergies are so bad till i have to take prescribed medication daily for such (by my regular doctor). Also, i am prescribed Cloderm Cream for my seborrheic dermatitis, by my dermatologist. And, the products i am prescribed to for my scalp eczema by my dermatologist are posted in my signature.

And, I have never tried Curl Junkie products, so i can't speak on them giving me an allergic reaction or not. Definitely try to find out all that you are allergic to, so that way, you will know more about which ingredients to avoid, when it comes to the purchasing of future haircare products. Because you may have sensitivities to some synthetic, as well as natural ingredients.

Good luck with finding products that do not cause you any issues.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    naturecat wrote: »
    I have fragrance issues too. Sweet Curls Elixirs does custom products. There is also giovanni (most of their products are chemical fragrance free), Aubrey Organics, Intelligent Nutrients, Shea Moisture, Beautiful Curls.

Alba Botanica has a fragrance-free line too!
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Is it the fragrance or the ingredients? My thinking is even though a product is fragrance free sill might have ingredients that cause a reaction.
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Desert Essence has a fragrance free line as well (assuming fragrance is the culprit).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower: